The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #61
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Thank you. So, now, without changing the subject to me...
Wait, so you dont think it matters that the anti-Muslim links are still prominently displayed on that page.

OK. If that is how you want to play it.

Quote:
Do you have another example of a right winger who used this attack to deflect the issue to Muslim extremism?
As I pointed out in my initial post, there were others (mostly speaking on Fox) that used the event to suggest that if Norway had been more involved in the US "war on terrorism", they would have been better prepared to respond.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #62
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
... some people are doing a lot more fear mongering than the actual threat warrants.
Rush Limbaugh told us that evil Muslims were subverting ‘hollow’ ground in NYC with a mosque. You mean it might not be true? You mean wacko extremists again lied to moderates? Gasp! Maybe Saddam did not have WMDs? So why did we massacre 4,500 American soldiers for mythical reasons? Gasp! Could many blindly believe what Fox News reports? Gasp! No wonder so many in a New Orleans convention center were not threatened by five days of no food and water. That also must have been fear mongering.

Or maybe its not so much about fear. Maybe its about routine lies justified by an extremist political agenda? Fear is simply another tool. Create strawmen (ie Saddam). Define them as evil. Then rally the troops. Evil Muslims are building in mosque in lower Manhattan! Gasp! Muslims must be shooting Norwegians because we all know Muslims are evil. Gasp!

The best evil is invented by the most evil.

Last edited by tw; 07-24-2011 at 07:24 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #63
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If Malkin had removed the previous entries you would currently be lambasting her for whitewashing. And rightfully so. The stuff she posted and left up there is simply examples of Islamists threatening Norway. Hey, in case it turns out to be Islamist, here are the Islamists who threatened Norway.

She merely posted facts. Facts you do not dispute.

Was it wrong to suspect Islamists? No, everybody did, including Islamists and especially those Islamists who took credit. As my Arab friend said, and I posted to this thread:

Quote:
Even I, an Arab Muslim, was surprised and had been completely convinced that it was the work of Alqaeda or other fundamentalist Muslims. Does that mean that I am a self hater?

The lesson from Norway is that one shouldn’t rush to conclusions. But that can work both ways. If an observer assumed that the killer was a Muslim extremist, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the observer is a Muslim hater (or self-hater in my case).
Back on point, my question was:
Quote:
Do you have another example of a right winger who used this attack to deflect the issue to Muslim extremism?
Quote:
As I pointed out in my initial post, there were others (mostly speaking on Fox) that used the event to suggest that if Norway had been more involved in the US "war on terrorism", they would have been better prepared to respond.
The answer to my question: "No, I do not".

So what you're left with, at the end of all this, is some unnamed people saying things you think they said, on a channel you don't watch.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #64
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Oh. That explains the posts about Sara Palin'a violent rhetoric (in jest, I presume) or Green Peace, Earth First, PETA and other domestic terrorists.(not in jest, a typical Mercenary contribution).

You dont like me because I think it was important to note how Malkin and others who spew anti_muslim rhetoric at every opportunity have attempted to manipulate this horrible event? I can live with that.

You have a hard on for me don't you? You get a stiffy everytime I post?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #65
TheMercenary

Quote:
(mostly speaking on Fox)
Ohhoooooo..... the liberal Fox Bogey Man! The most popular news channel on cable for like 6 years running....
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #66
TheMercenary

Quote:
And in the US, while it is not quite as bad, there are many people who associate Islam with terrorism, making no distinction, fueled by the rhetoric of the likes of Malkin, Pam Geller and others.
So where is the problem when we have the likes of Soros, Huffington, and the talking heads from MSNBC?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Ohhoooooo..... the liberal Fox Bogey Man! The most popular news channel on cable for like 6 years running....
And the most popular beer is Bud Light, which is also garbage.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #68
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
If Malkin had removed the previous entries you would currently be lambasting her for whitewashing. And rightfully so. The stuff she posted and left up there is simply examples of Islamists threatening Norway. Hey, in case it turns out to be Islamist, here are the Islamists who threatened Norway.

She merely posted facts. Facts you do not dispute.

Was it wrong to suspect Islamists? No, everybody did, including Islamists and especially those Islamists who took credit. As my Arab friend said, and I posted to this thread:

Back on point, my question was:

The answer to my question: "No, I do not".

So what you're left with, at the end of all this, is some unnamed people saying things you think they said, on a channel you don't watch.
LOL.

Nice twist. Much like you did with other interactions we've had. Very Classic of you.

But what I am left with is the fact that the thrust of Malkin's post was anti-Muslim rhetoric, even after knowing the facts.

And others on the right with lame attempts to divert the discussion away from the perpetrator to Norway's "lack of commitment" to the bogeymen "war on terrorism"
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #69
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Maybe if Norway had been more involved they would have been more ready, however, you could counter that question simply by asking how ready anyone can be for a random attack.

Nobody expected busses to be blown up in London, but they were pretty heavily involved with the war on terror. No one expected a bar to be blown up in Bali which was crammed full of people from countries involved in the war on terror.

It's just bullshit reporting. It happens every day. See the Murdoch thread.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #70
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

The ultimate goal of most terrorist acts, whether by Muslim extremists or White, anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim nationalists, is not simply to attack innocent victims, but to provoke a disproportionate reaction, either in support of, or opposition to, the self-proclaimed martyr's act.

IMO, posts like Malkin's (even if it is only hers alone, but it is not) only feed that frenzy among those who might, at some level, support such horrific acts.

Where I guess we disagree is that I think those type posts should be called out for what they are. At the very least, they are not helpful.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #71
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
LOL
I.e., no defense.

Quote:
Nice twist
Precisely the opposite. You offered various twists, and instead of grasping at them, I focused directly on your statement.

You avoided your statement, focusing on other things, attacking me, and then finally restating your statement with new detail and without the half that was clearly wrong.

one more thing.

Michelle Malkin is a fucking cunt. I say that as a male feminist. I can't stand her. It's personal with me. Her sneer, her smug self-satisfaction. And I think she's said some really hateful things and I think she needs a dose of humility somehow.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #72
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

I guess its in the eye of the beholder.

You demand that I admit I was wrong about Malkin, because she updated her post to include a statement about the perpetrator.

I think the fact that the bulk of her post said nothing about the perpetrator and was all about what she cited as a Muslim threat to Norway (which had absolutely nothing to do with this horrific act) did nothing to change my opinion about her post and, in fact, supported my position.

I've seen that trick before from you. Only taking or twisting the facts that suit your demand.

But we do agree on Malkin.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #73
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And the most popular beer is Bud Light, which is also garbage.
Well their product obviously appeals to the masses.... Anyone but Obama in 2012!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why can't you understand why deleting her original post would be the height of dishonesty? She jumped to the same conclusion that most of the world did, then updated it with the correct information when it became available. That's how it should be done, not removing the original post.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #75
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Because it's Malkin and she writes trash! (for trash)
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote