The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #601
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
rkzenrage - it's too bad you're so far away; I'd really like to learn that. I don't think that a book is a substitute for hands-on training (if I can even find the book).

P.S. I'm relatively new to this site, but I've read a few posts where you mention health issues. Is this discussed in more detail somewhere? I'm not morbidly curious, but I think it might help me with a deeper perspective.
Unfortunatley I am really unable to to it too many times and would be unable to do it enough to teach you.
Honestly, the book is really good and, as long as you really pay attention to what it says, it does a great job.
One of my dreams has been to own a Peacemaker & now I can't use it like it deserves... sucks.
I am friends with the direct descendants of the Henry clan.
You should see some of the weapons they own... it hurts they are so beautiful! My wife was best friends with them in school.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #602
rkzenrage

Heelllloooooooo?
C-mom pierce... its your time! Time to shine, finally, a perfect opening, time to finally, logically, succinctly, absolutely, refute the gun owning argument once and for all, without all that emotional blather that has been getting in everyone else's way... I set you up man!
Here you go!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #603
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

All he can say is "rights don't exist unless "society" gives them to you without anything to back up his claims. He denies the very existence of rights. You can't reason with someone who is unreasonable.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #604
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Unfortunatley I am really unable to to it too many times and would be unable to do it enough to teach you.
Honestly, the book is really good and, as long as you really pay attention to what it says, it does a great job.
One of my dreams has been to own a Peacemaker & now I can't use it like it deserves... sucks.
I am friends with the direct descendants of the Henry clan.
You should see some of the weapons they own... it hurts they are so beautiful! My wife was best friends with them in school.
rkz - my stepfather collected guns - primarily Winchester shotguns and rifles, I think. I don't know where they all went after he died a few years ago. (I just did a google search and see that he was Michigan Trap Association Doubles Champion a couple of times. I also saw a Model 21 that he commissioned, for sale for $63,000.)

He was the one who introduced me to guns, and, with one exception, all the guns I have came from him. Unfortunately, I could never get the hang of skeet shooting, but I was an "expert rifleman" in the military.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #605
rkzenrage

The guys and I invented a skeet called rugby at lunchtimes on the ranch. No time now, but I'll tell you about it later.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #606
The Eschaton
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Dont own a gun, but i would get one, i enjoy shooting.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #607
nitro1364
Sibling of the Commonweal

i own a browning .40 cal beretta but hid the clips when i went on vacation

the only problem is i hid them so damned well that i can't find them

what a moron
nitro1364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #608
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

nitro 1364, Did you check the underwear drawer?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #609
nitro1364
Sibling of the Commonweal

Quote:
nitro 1364, Did you check the underwear drawer?
yeah, no dice

of course i'm not looking for dice so i suppose thats a good thing
nitro1364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #610
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How about the freezer?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #611
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
You've proven nothing other than your own ignorance of what rights are. Our rights don't come from society and can't be taken away by society. We are born with our rights and our rights are universal and the same regardless of what "society" we happen to live in. If "society" violates our rights, it doesn't mean that we don't have those rights. It doesn't matter if "society" recognizes rights, they still exist.

We are born with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Part of life is defending that life by any means necessary. Any claims by "society" to the contrary are irrelevant. Any claims that we don't have rights is laughable and ludicrous.

Society has no rights. Society is nothing but a collection of individuals and as such, it may have no more powers than we, as individuals, have to grant to it. Society has no legitimate powers over those of a single individual.
It is like talking to a religious fundamentalist.
"Prove to me that God exists"
"It says so in The Bible."

"Prove to me that rights exist"
"it says so in the constitution."

Once again, we are not born with rights because they are human made. You have said before that animals don't have rights but we do. That implies that we are somewhat better than animals which is also laughable to anyone that knows anything about biology. You said that human rights came with the first human. You clearly don't understand evolution because species are constantly changing to fit in with their environments so there isn't a changing point.

It is like saying when does a boy become a man. There is no point when it happens, you have to put an artificial time on it. You would have to do the same thing if you wanted rights to pop out of nowhere.

Also, you are just changing definitions to fit YOUR perspective on how we should live. You guys are turning into brainwashed fundies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Man that was backward.
You just can't get it.
Freedom, remember?
The right to be free.
We own guns because we have the right to be free... we force nothing on others.
You are perfectly free not to own a gun.
Our way we both live as we like.
You misunderstood me. You are forcing the idea that everyone has a right to own guns when it is a local social right instead of universal. If a society says that you don't have a right to own guns and are perfectly happy in living that way, you are saying they are wrong and should change.

We have the right to be free? That is too broad to be used in an argument because freedom encompasses basically everything. The thought that you can do anything you want is ridiculous and the irony of social restraints is enormous.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #612
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

To take it from another direction, PH; do you have the right to live?

If your local town decided one day that in order to maintain order, you had to be randomly killed, because there were too many people living in your area. Would you go to the killing station and accept your fate because some form of society said so?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #613
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

In reality, we have no rights but our society invented "the right to live" to keep stablility and avoid chaos. I agree with the idea of rights in most aspects, I am just disagreeing that they are natural and they are universal.

I would rebel and and not accept to be killed but I am also not saying we should ban guns either.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #614
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Society decides the extent of your right to live, whether it comes to the death penalty, self defense, wars, etc.

Like all of the rights affirmed in the Constitution, society defines the limits.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #615
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Are any of you familiar with a book called "Instinct Shooting" by Lucky McDaniel? My stepfather bought a copy for me years ago (and I think it was out of print even then). I was looking for it this morning, but most of our books are stacked in bags in the basement and I couldn't find it.

Instinct Shooting was developed by Lucky, and he would demonstrate the technique using an old bb gun with the sites removed. His finale was to shoot another bb thrown in the air. He was able to teach this technique to a large number of people in a single four-hour lesson, including shooting through a piece of clear tape over a lifesaver rolling across the floor, without breaking the lifesaver, and without using sites.

I'm wondering if any one here has been trained in this technique.
I have been through the formal H&K instructed courses using hammer and double tap techniques. I am not familiar with the author but I have heard of the technique.