The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #91
Cloud

someone left a treat bag full of candy on my door--I have no idea who, so I'm afraid to eat it!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #92
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

You don't reserve it for a specific day... love should be celebrated everyday...
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #93
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
someone left a treat bag full of candy on my door--I have no idea who, so I'm afraid to eat it!
aww that's sweet! If you don't have any enemies then eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
You don't reserve it for a specific day... love should be celebrated everyday...
I actually agree with this but there are some who need to 'recieve' I try to make that happen. I don't wait for 'one day' thus my overly long day because we did things throughout the week. We usually do these things anyway.

Money's easy come easy go around here.
I gave my mom a heart shaped box with what appeared to be candy were really candles.

I have the older lady I work with a single rose. She is near retirement and her knees are weak. I guess I wanted her to feel 'loved' because she is.

I had to work yesterday so a few days ago I went over to my partners house and played a conversation card game while he was still in bed. HE didn't seem to mind so much I woke him up. I brought him a card and some 'love' lottery tickets to hand out to people he meets throughout the week. It was kind of a ' playing cupid thing' I also gave him a 'spin the bottle' pin so if he was feeling lucky some one might want to give it a spin while he was wearing it. These were just fun silly things.

Monday we went out to lunch. I had both jobs off so it was a doubly beautiful day for that. It was sunny so we took a drive to a small town and stopped at an antique mall and a used book store. I bought myself a bronze crane and two new books to read. Oh, before all that he presented me with a snow globe heart and two cupcakes from starbucks.

Last night after work I called him over for banana splits. Then he almost talked my son and I into going to see the Vagina Monolouges
but it was a school night. The 10:00 showing would just be too long since it ran for 90 min so we just opted for buying it on DVD one day.
After banana spilts he took my son and I to this small german cafe which sells cake slices. These slices are more cake than two people can eat. It is a very famous little place and all the college kids were in there on their valentine dates. We felt like toads among the flowers. Anyway. I had the best strawberry lemonade I'd ever had. That's it!

oh and my Canada friend sent me a valentine. I only sent him an ecard. I feel bad about that.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #94
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Why would there be a difference? I don't get that rkz. I'd love it no matter what day of the year it was, and I'd say most other women (or men) would feel the same.
Other than chain restaurants, which is assembly-line food to begin with, real restaurants turn into assembly-lines on Valentine's day. They hire temp workers (the reason foot got sick, plus management is rarely there), usually limit their menu to have less complicated/tasty/fresh/original foods, they over-book increasing wait times and causing service problems, and inflate their prices for the less valuable food above the prices of their normally better food.
You are gonna' get dressed-up canned and frozen food at one-and-a-half to twice what a real chef's meal will cost there on a normal day, while being waited on by an amature...just so Hallmark can sell a card.
"I love ya' hun", I don't think so.
I know this because I quit after refusing to do this and told every restaurant that I gave my resume' to that I would not.
Florists do the same thing on a much worse scale.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 02-15-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #95
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
Hi Pooka! Welcome to the Cellar. I've seen your movie and you are awesome.

And yes, celebrate love every day; we are all lucky to have people who love us.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #96
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I think he's referring to the inflated prices and poor service from the V day crush. Two weeks later you'd get probably three times the flowers for the same money, and an unharried wait staff will give you much better service in a much more pleasant atmosphere.
I don't know. The owner of the cake shop was out shaking peoples hands last night. I do agree with the inflated price of cut flowers though. Buying oneself flowers to plant is the the kind of gift that keeps on giving.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #97
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Buying oneself flowers to plant is the the kind of gift that keeps on giving.
Unfortunately, so is food poisoning
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #98
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I'm eating a salad I made fresh myself...iceberg lettuce, celery, snow peas, a bit of cottage cheese (no dressing.) But the nightly news keeps spouting off about the Green Death of e coli. That which is supposed to be healthy now instills fear!

I better go have a cig and some beers. :p
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #99
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
You got food poisoning as a gift??
Old 02-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #100
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
You got food poisoning as a gift??
No, but one might if one was taken to a restaurant which was paying more attention to the v-day profit potential than to the quality of food and service.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:17 AM   #101
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Other than chain restaurants, which is assembly-line food to begin with, real restaurants turn into assembly-lines on Valentine's day. They hire temp workers (the reason foot got sick, plus management is rarely there), usually limit their menu to have less complicated/tasty/fresh/original foods, they over-book increasing wait times and causing service problems, and inflate their prices for the less valuable food above the prices of their normally better food.
You are gonna' get dressed-up canned and frozen food at one-and-a-half to twice what a real chef's meal will cost there on a normal day, while being waited on by an amature...just so Hallmark can sell a card.
"I love ya' hun", I don't think so.
I know this because I quit after refusing to do this and told every restaurant that I gave my resume' to that I would not.
Florists do the same thing on a much worse scale.
We went to a restaraunt in the city and there was nothing assembly line about it. The only difference between val day and any other day was the glass of champagne and chocolate rose for the ladies on arrival.

I can understand your cynicism, however I think it's misplaced as far as most people are concerned. Just because you make one special day during the year doesn't mean couples don't have other special days too.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #102
Mixie
Nitpicker

I thought I'd surprise my boyfriend by traveling to his house earlier than expected (half an hour before he'd come home from work) so I could do some groceries and surprise him with a lovely dinner.

Unfortunately, my train had a 20-minute delay. I rushed to the supermarket, rushed back home, but then I saw that the train had just arrived and the boyfriend was walking further down the street. I wouldn't be able to catch up with him, so I called him and 'chatted' a bit with him about how his day was - that gave me enough time to reach his front door and make sure he had gone inside. Then I went ahead and casually asked him, "do me a favour will you? Open the door."

The surprise was slightly ruined by the public transport, but luckily he was still surprised to find me at his door. Dinner was lovely, and the sex was great.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:25 AM   #103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We don't want you to describe the dinner in detail.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #104
Pi
desperate finder

So I was in Finland. They celebrate ystävänpäivä, friends-day. So you send cards to your friends and family. My friend's sister came home with a paper heart on which her friends all signed. I got a present from my friend's mother (a cork with a heart on top). And from my girlfriend a mind teaser shaped as a heart.
When she was back from work we went skiing. When we were back her mother had already cooked but forgotten to head up the sauna. So we ate at her's with her sister and mother turning around (not very romantic). Afterwards to the sauna, on my own (not very romatic too, but we are not yet that close). Finally we went out (she just came and asked : "Are you too tired or shall we go to some place?") So we went to the town in a superb club and danced all night. Was wonderful
Old 02-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #105
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go by Dylan........ seeing as how Dylan can't sing (and is still better than me)
Bah. I love Dylan's voice. And that song makes me go weak at the knees.....but not as much as 'Sarah', or 'One more cup of Coffee'.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote