The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sports ~ A Conspiracy?

Reading a list of goofy(no, not Disney's Goofy) conspiracy theories about mind control, this one it seems you could almost make a case for.
Quote:
2 - Sports Are Designed To Divide And Control Us
One theory claims that organized sports were designed by a secret shadow government. According to the theory, indoctrination starts young with school and community sports, employing coaches for the express purpose of acclimating children to obeying an authority figure other than their parents so they will be more pliable for the government later.

Children are taught that dominance and competition are all that matter, with the hope that they will abandon intellectual pursuits and remain good little drones for the people who are truly controlling the world.

Later on in life, these sports traditions are meant to serve an even more insidious purpose. In colleges, they sap money meant for real education and keep people focused on aggression.

For women, cheerleading pigeonholes them into roles as obedient breeders for the males in society. These elite places of learning are not just tools to turn young people into pawns in the overarching sports conspiracy—they are also designed to brainwash them in general and teach them immoral values like sexual promiscuity.

The secret government then uses professional sports on the regional and city level to divide people by polarizing them over team loyalty. This shadowy organization of elite leaders doesn’t mind the occasional riot because it means people are being kept focused on the wrong things.
Well damn, sports do seem to accomplish those things in some... ok, many cases, but the conspiracy part is hard to swallow.

Long ago and far away, the only diversion from survival was sex, and really that was part of survival. When Ogg was done, not caring if Oggette was too, he turned to cave painting. From that time until the mid-20th century brought us more electrical/electronic diversions that you can shake a battery at, it was sports & games.

Kick the human skull, or polo, or skiing, or chess, the gamut of sports & games have been the escape from reality for a large part of the human tribe.
So it doesn't need a conspiracy, just some people wanting diversion.
Or some control freaks wanting to boss people around, especially young people.
Or some smart people who figured out how to make money from sports.

Well, that's my theory, which is why it's in Philosophy and not Sports... YTMV(your theory may vary).
Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Sports help to channel aggressive behaviors and promote team socialization for the workplace.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Everything in America, as well as 90% of what we say, is designed to divide.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Sports help to channel aggressive behaviors and promote team socialization for the workplace.
Bah, just another opportunity for the jocks to fuck with the nerds, geeks, and other non-jock types.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I wonder what the percentage of jocks to jocks that bully nerds is.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

100% - I think it's a rule.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

There's usually one main bully... And he or she will have 3 cronies or so... But most jocks are focused on the sport. And then some jocks ARE nerds.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
And then some jocks ARE nerds.
The hell you say.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
There's usually one main bully... And he or she will have 3 cronies or so... But most jocks are focused on the sport. And then some jocks ARE nerds.
It's true. There wasn't that big a division at my school. I was a jock I guess, since I did play sports, but I was also student council, class officer, and all around studying student. I didn't give a poo if someone didn't play sports.

I think a lot of you folks went to schools what were as delineated as The Breakfast Club, worse even. Glad I didn't. I was friends, or at least friendly, with just about everyone. (There WAS one namby pamby chick I couldn't stand but that was just her all around personality that made me want to throttle her. Still can't stand the idea of her. Only grudge I've ever held onto, except my Tweety Bird grudge.) I'm not saying we were some homogenous group: certainly there were subsets, but I don't recall anything being totally exclusive.

yhsmmv
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Yeah... I was a cross click kid. I had jock friends from football and wrestling and track, I had tecker friends (Bender) and a punk rocker girlfriend.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
You had me at "Obedient Breeders."

:swoon: