Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #6676
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Mechanicsburg PA
Not Carlisle?

Anyway, my old home town. That big-ass high school on Rt 11, that was my school. And if it's really Carlisle, that McDonalds across from the Petro, I worked there and it was hilarious for a summer.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #6677
Pamela
Deplorable

Close enough. I'm going by the terminal mailing address. I'm right by the Flying J and the ABF yard. I found out today that my truck is in York. It seems that there is a pinhole leak in the #1 cylinder. So it's being resleeved, under warranty, and should be driveable on Monday sometime. A whole week wasted. Sigh.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #6678
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I honestly think they want to call it Mechanicsburg cos of the trucks...! If only Carlisle had been named Trucklisle everything would be fine.

People used to come into that McDonald's and say it was the worst McDonald's they had ever been in. We were proud. And since then I have been in ghetto McDonald's, and we were better than that, but still. Keeping a truck stoppy McD's up to snuff isn't easy.

Plus, it was the summer they were testing Chicken McNuggets out, for the first time, in Pittsburgh only. So people used to get off the turnpike and ask for McNuggets and when we told them we didn't have them, they would get all sad.

Good times

You know what happens if you go into a McDonalds and say, hey I worked here 35 years ago? They don't give a shit, is what.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #6679
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You know what happens if you go into a McDonalds and say, hey I worked here 35 years ago? They don't give a shit, is what.
LOL. I can picture the exchange perfectly.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #6680
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Meanwhile, the infant behind the counter looks around the register for the button for that...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #6681
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Meanwhile, the infant behind the counter looks around the register for the button for that...
That just describes my work day sometimes..... *******sigh*****
Old 02-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #6682
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You know that thing, where you're working with a group of people to get something done, and you can clearly see it isn't going to happen--not because of anything the group did, but just because outside realities make the thing the group wants impossible--but the group doesn't want to believe the thing is impossible, and are determined to waste huge amounts of time and resources fighting right up to the very bitter end? And you just have to go along with it, because you're part of the group, even though it is painfully obvious to you that this thing is 100% dead in the water?

So, yeah. That.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #6683
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just hope what the group does makes enough noise, a big enough splash, to draw people's interest so it may be possible in the future.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #6684
Clodfobble

Not that kind of thing. This group wants a corporation to sign a legal document as a favor to the group, even though it doesn't benefit the corporation one bit and potentially is a liability for them. The risk of the liability is extremely small, but that's irrelevant--the corporation has absolutely no reason to get in the middle of it, and won't.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #6685
monster
I hear them call the tide

Suggest group spends $$/effort on getting CEO drunk?
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #6686
Clodfobble

Old 02-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #6687
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excellent idea, one photo of the CEO passed out, with empty bottles and several naked ladies in attendance, is very persuasive. Likely his wife won't believe it if there's more than one lady, but his peers and stockholders would.
Call it operation Bill Cosby.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #6688
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

TBH, more than mildly irritating, but anyway...

Last Thursday's power cut during one of our recurrent bouts of bad weather wasn't exactly unpredictable but UK Power Networks seems incapable of using even a smidgen of common sense.

Each winter seems to come as a surprise to them and when flying chunks of tree hit overhead lines they are faced with often very difficult repair jobs.

They never seem to expend any effort in trimming back trees which are close to power lines during the summer months. Perhaps it's cheaper to wait for the inevitable.

Surely an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure?

Incidentally, when the supply was restored after about twelve hours, my wireless router was as dead as a Norwegian Blue.

Despite my best endeavours nothing would resurrect it so I did what I always do at moments of crisis, I went and made a cup of tea.

Strangely, when I wandered back into my man cave about half an hour later, it was working and has been ever since.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #6689
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Perhaps your attempts to reactivate were indistinguishable from the previous power company chaos to the router, and it went into this too shall pass mode.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #6690
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Heh, my routers/modems have usually gone into 'This shall not pass!!' mode...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar