The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

July 30th, 2015: Book Posters

At the end of The Great Depression and the start of WW II, FDR's administration was trying to get things moving.
Most of the schools taught little more than the three Rs, between the end of harvest and spring planting.
Atlas Obscura tells how the WPA promoted the arts and reading books to educate people.

Quote:
The goal was not just providing funding and work for artists, but also promoting and sharing the work being done by American musicians, writers, and theater professionals. It reflected the belief of New Deal administrators that art could, and should be, a part of everyday life.

"The government unwittingly launched a movement to improve the commercial poster and raise it to a true art form," Richard Floethe, who headed up the Poster Division in New York, wrote in an essay.

The group designed posters for art programs as well as for public parks, and organizations devoted to health and education. The posters were first made by hand before moving to the silkscreen process, which allowed for a greater volume to be printed. From 1936 to 1943, over two million posters were printed. The lion's share of the Work Project Administration poster trove is held at the Library of Congress.
Books, for more than pressing flower and killing spiders.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As a voracious reader, I love those .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Library of Congress has a lot of them.

Damn politicians grab all the good shit.

There's even one for UT & glatt.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #4
Snakeadelic
Banned

Such things delight me endlessly . While my concentration is currently shot due to anxiety issues, most of my best childhood friends were between the covers of books. I still have the first book that was MINE to keep, bought from the Scholastic Book Club's annual bus visit to my elementary school around about second grade. It's called The House on Deer-Track Trail and keeps a place of honor in my bookshelf. I was always a good reader--for anyone with a kid or relative's kid having early academic issues, Schoolhouse Rock (not a book but a noteworthy educational tool regardless) is still the reason I know anything about multiplication tables and the major plot points of American history and politics.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We aim to please, Snakeadelic.
Check out this cartoon.