The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
asidebet
SamIWas

Don't be scared - this is just Sam

I am either too clever by half or else or early Alzheimer’s has struck again.

Whatever. Either way = same effect.

Long story made even longer:

Since I can no longer hit back a fifth of Wild Turkey a day, my new fav self destruct behavior is to go into EVERYTHING-IS-SOOO-SERIOUS-AND-WE’RE-ALL-GONNA-DIE mode. Or WAG for short.

Now WAG has all sorts of side effects like making me wake up wide eyed at 3am with the realization that I’d forgot to go to my colonoscopy appointment, and I’m probably already dying of some highly embarrassing form of butt cancer, and boy will I ever be sorry when my last words turn out to be “more kaopectate – NOW!”

When it came to the Cellar, WAG caused me to post thousand word replies to complete idiots on topics no one but me really cares about and get all upset over threads tuned to flame wars and other really stupid stuff that sometimes goes on around here and has no importance what-so-ever in the vast scheme of things.

So, one morning at 3am I finally figured out how stupid I was being in regard to EVERYTHING, not just the Cellar, and maybe it was about time to engage in more constructive activities like sending hate mail to the entire House of (NOT) Representatives instead of hours reading all 13 gazillion pages of some flame game going on between strangers on the Internet.

I made sure I’d stick to my old year’s resolution for at least a day or two by changing my Cellar password to a bunch of nonsense symbols that my flea brain would never remember and my official e-mail address to an account that I hadn’t used in years.

Worked pretty good if I do say so myself. I went cold turkey (not half the fun of Wild) on the entire Internet but for the local weather site.

Except…

One morning my 3am satori was that I’d completely forgotten about the Cellar Secret Santa deal. Which I had signed up for. Damn! So, it was either being a grinch or making an earlier return than I’d thought. And then when I e-mailed Glatt for help with my password, it turns out that it’s not so simple if you mess up both your password and e-mail. I don’t know if it can be fixed or not, and I hate to bug UT over my own stupidity, especially when he’s got to deal with the loss of his beloved dogster, Pearl and everything else he’s been posting about.

So for now, anyhow, I’m just posting using an old sock puppet I created back in the day and that I remember the password for since I use that password for almost everything except the new SamIam login.

Now that we’re all clear as mud on that (are you reading, LJ?), I’ll post my very belated thanks to Trilby in the Secret Santa thread.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

On The WAG [rag] Again (to the tune of On The Road Again)

One, two
One, two, three, four

On the wag again
Just can't wait to be on the wag again
The life I love is fighting flame wars with those fiends
And I can't wait to be on the wag again

On the wag again
Rant in threads where I've never been
Seein' replies like I may never see again

On the wag again
Like a band of shit stirrers we go trollin' down the forums
We're the best of fiends insisting the Cellar does not bore us, ignore us

While on the wag again
Don't be scared I'm on the wag again
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh ffs, don't you bloody leave now.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Sexobon is a legend in his own mind.

And a douchebag full of douchiness.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
asidebet
SamIWas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
On The WAG [rag] Again (to the tune of On The Road Again)

One, two
One, two, three, four

On the wag again
Just can't wait to be on the wag again

On the wag again
Rant in threads where I've never been
Seein' replies like I may never see again

On the wag again
Like a band of shit stirrers we go trollin' down the forums
We're the best of fiends insisting the Cellar does not bore us, ignore us

While on the wag again
Don't be scared I'm on the wag again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby
Sexobon is a legend in his own mind.

And a douchebag full of douchiness.
In his own little way, Sexobon is like the tail that WAG's the dog. He really pranked me in the middle of the Merc thread that turned itself into a flame war. First I was flipped out, but then I had to just laugh, so I have a certain appreciation for him that I didn't before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Oh ffs, don't you bloody leave now.
Who? Me?

My perception is that certain people in authority around here have never ever forgiven me, despite the fact that I've been pretty well behaved for years now. Back in the day, Marichiko was one flipped out chick, but thank dog, I've put a lot of that crap behind me.

Sam has been posting here for what? Five years or so? I'd love to know what awful thing Sam has done that no mod will help her with the password thing. Honestly. Anyone?

Last edited by asidebet; 01-02-2013 at 11:56 AM.
asidebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by asidebet View Post
I'd love to know what awful thing Sam has done that no mod will help her with the password thing. Honestly. Anyone?

Go back and re-read your pm exchange with me. I told you that mods don't have the power to reset your password or change your email address. Unless there's some secret button I'm not seeing. I don't appreciate the accusation.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
asidebet
SamIWas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post

Go back and re-read your pm exchange with me. I told you that mods don't have the power to reset your password or change your email address. Unless there's some secret button I'm not seeing. I don't appreciate the accusation.
Oh my goodness, Glatt! No, no, no! I never meant to implicate you and I offer my deepest apologies that my comments were so vague that a mod who did his best to help me out would feel that I was attacking him. I shouldn't have worded it that "no MOD" would help me, but I didn't want to go into anything more specific.

But, OK - let's be clear on this. Your last suggestion to me was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glatt
looks like Undertoad isn't interested in helping you with this, and I don't have the power to reset passwords. Your best bet is to use another account and say who you are.
Maybe I misunderstood you, but I was left with the impression that while YOU couldn't reset my password, maybe UT could, but he wasn't "interested in helping [me] with this."

Whatever.

But then I tried to do what you suggested and I attempted to set up a new account with the user name "IamSam." For some strange reason that account was never activated. And lots of other people around here have been able to transition pretty seamlessly into a new user name. So, why would it be so impossible for me to do the same?

I am left feeling bewildered and a tad paranoid.

Just now I tried logging in one more time as "IamSam" and I can log on with that user name, but I am still not allowed to make posts as IamSam. WTF?

Last edited by asidebet; 01-02-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Lots and lots of confusion over what's going on
Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There's no need to be paranoid. It's an administrative decision made by me that when somebody fucks up their account in order to leave the Cellar because they don't like it, I don't do a lot of work to help them get back on. Similarly if an account self-requests banning, we do not un-ban it. That's my personal policy. It's too much work for the drama involved.

Work, such as cleaning out the sock puppet account that already had your new chosen email address, when the Cellar is limited to one email address per account.

As for your Iamsam activation, you may rest assured that administrators can't intercept that process, so it was merely your own inability to set up, manage, or register a new email address that got in the way.

Bewildered and paranoid, that is not a new experience for you. Asking direct questions is the best solution. But you have chosen to address them by creating the maximum drama for the room.

I do not like people who do that. If you actually want me to like you, you will end this behavior, starting with your next post in this thread.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
asidebet
SamIWas

Thank you for your reply, UT. I don't expect everyone to love me, and I can understand your irritation with me.

I don't want to be argumentative, but in my own defense, I will say that I never wanted to self ban myself, and I never said anywhere on the Cellar that self banning was my desire. I just wanted to take a break and not come back too soon for some frivolous reason.

I stated these things in my OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Pain in the Butt
One morning my 3am satori was that I’d completely forgotten about the Cellar Secret Santa deal. Which I had signed up for. Damn! So, it was either being a grinch or making an earlier return than I’d thought. And then when I e-mailed Glatt for help with my password, it turns out that it’s not so simple if you mess up both your password and e-mail. I don’t know if it can be fixed or not, and I hate to bug UT over my own stupidity, especially when he’s got to deal with the loss of his beloved dogster, Pearl and everything else he’s been posting about.
That aside, it makes perfect sense to me that "it was merely [my] own inability to set up, manage, or register a new email address that got in the way." I recently changed my e-mail address and with my poor short term memory, I may very well have mis-typed it when I tried to open up the "IamSam" account.

Is there any way I can check on and rectify any possible error in that regard? Or do I just go ahead and create another account in the name of "Samantha" or something?

I apologize for being such a nuisance and I do understand that you have far better things to do with your time.

Last edited by asidebet; 01-02-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I've sent the address for iamsam to your asidebet PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
asidebet
SamIWas

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

I would like to add my thanks, as well, along with my apologies for being such a clueless pain in the butt.

sent via waves of remorse
IamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I am sorry that I got brusk.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

I doubt if we'll ever get to the "group hug" point UT, but thanks.
IamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote