The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-28-2005, 07:35 PM   #31
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Antioch IS a serious place.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #32
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Antioch IS a serious place.
Actually, I don't think we know what you are talking about.

Antioch College, founded in 1852, is part of Antioch University, which includes the Antioch New England Graduate School in Keene, New Hampshire; Antioch University Seattle in Washington; Antioch University Southern California in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara; and Antioch University McGregor in Yellow Springs, Ohio.

I'm guessing you are not moving to New England.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 PM   #33
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Antioch in Yellow Springs,OH--not Antioch-McGregor. That's kind of a spin-off thing. The name is attached, but nothing else.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #34
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

I hate students too. in fact, i hate most everybody. i don't hate cellarites, though.

course, that doesn't bode well for my ability to get along with NORMAL people.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 PM   #35
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Hey, one of my uncles went to Antioch! Let's see, last I checked he works as a... oh yes, a security guard. Real world-changer, that one. Pride of the family.
George W. Bush graduated from Yale. The last I heard, Yale is still a good school, though.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #36
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
They WERE Capitalism. Some of their names are still with us today. Carneige Hall, Carneige-Mellon University: Andrew and Andrew. They were not the worst, but they had a spotted record. The american industrial revolution did great things for this country, but it was not without it's otrocities.

Jay Gould was a real sleaze ball.

Legacy

In his lifetime and for a century after, Gould had a firm reputation as the most unethical of the 19th century American businessmen known as robber barons. He routinely tested the boundaries of the law, finding ways to turn a situation in his favor when other businessmen might have settled on breaking even. He pioneered the practice, now commonplace, of declaring bankruptcy as a strategic maneuver. He had no opposition to using stock manipulation and insider trading (which were then legal but frowned upon) to build capital and to execute or prevent hostile takeover attempts. As a result, many contemporary businessmen did not trust Gould and often expressed contempt for his approach to business. Even so, John D. Rockefeller named him as the most skilled businessman he ever encountered.

List of businessmen who were called robber barons

* John Jacob Astor (real estate, fur)
* Andrew Carnegie (steel)
* Jay Cooke (finance)
* Daniel Drew (finance)
* James Fisk (finance)
* Henry Flagler (railroads)
* Henry Ford (automobile)
* Henry Clay Frick (steel)
* Jay Gould (finance, railroads)
* Edward Henry Harriman (railroads)
* Collis P. Huntington (railroads)
* James J. Hill (railroads)
* J. P. Morgan (banking)
* John D. Rockefeller (oil, the Standard Oil company)
* Leland Stanford (railroads)
* Cornelius Vanderbilt (railroads, shipping)

Your names and your claims are laughable. You clearly don't do too much reading, but if you can find someone to read something to you and then explain it to you, check out...

The Myth of the Robber Barons by Burton W. Folsom
Old 10-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #37
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Let me say that I am very disappointed in my fellow University students. They are sickening. I hate these kids.
I must agree with Rush Limbaugh on his belief that most college students are "young skulls full of mush", and that unfortunately a large number of college professors don't remedy that situation very well

They will eventually have life experiences that actually count for something, they'll grow, age, and mature. In the meantime, you're just stuck with them NOW and that's gotta be soo frustrating!! Remember, they won't learn from our experiences or mistakes They've just gotta get there on their own
For your sake - I hope sooner rather than later!
Good Luck! Don't let 'em get to ya! Just hang in there!
(YOU know the truth!!)

Last edited by Brett's Honey; 10-28-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #38
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Your names and your claims are laughable. You clearly don't do too much reading, but if you can find someone to read something to you and then explain it to you, check out...

The Myth of the Robber Barons by Burton W. Folsom
They were men who used the blood sweat and tears of immigrant workers to gain huge sums of money for themselves, and in the meantime thrust our country into widespread industrialization. But it was at the cost of many lives, and the suffering of many more. How many tons of steel, how many barrels of oil, how many miles of railroad track is one human worth? How about 10 people, 50, 100?

And Bri, if you have questions about transferring schools lemme know, I just went through that whole ordeal a couple weeks before classes began.

Last edited by Bullitt; 10-28-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:03 AM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Strange...my kid's Medicaid was cut back recently, yet no one has come knocking on the door to offer to pick up the financial loss. Using your logic, if he loses something, something else will come to replace it, but it hasn't happened.
I frequently get very, very perturbed by things like this ... folks like Els son who has a very real and very documentable medical illness gets cut, and my worthless bottomfeeding crack whores and heroin junkies continue to get the goverment to subsidize their drug use.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #40
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I would agree that there is a certain segment of society that has figured out a way to do as little as possible and live off of the teat of social programs, and that's certainly their prerogative if they have no higher aspirations than that, and are able bodied and not mentally deficient. Our current social programs keep people from living as though the USA was a Third World Country, but not a lot more.
I can only speak from my own experience of my patients and their families who are on public assistance. They all seem to have TVs and most of them have cable. There is usually at least one vehicle in the household. They have Section 8 housing, electricity, gas, running water, and no real incentive to get off public assistance. I honestly think that it would do these folks good to SEE the third world and find out what poverty actually is.

I'm not talking about the seriously mentally ill here ... "my patients" represent a very broad range of folks ... teens to seniors, some worried well, some just plain bad, some junkies, and some pretty much regular folks who have run into a bad patch.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 AM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett's Honey
I must agree with Rush Limbaugh on his belief that most college students are "young skulls full of mush",
I think Rush must have stolen that from Professor Kingsfield.

~~~

This is the Antioch Code that I was referring to in my earlier post.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:52 AM   #42
marichiko

I agree that the social services system in this country is hopelessly broken. I know of a woman who was released from jail after serving a sentence for running a meth lab. The first thing she did when she got out was to get pregnant and continue on a career of petty crime. The child's father vanished and this woman has a lovely home in a decent part of town coutesy of the tax payer. Just when she would have had to get off TANF and go back to work, she got pregnant again - this time with twins. Again the father (a different one) vanished, and this woman was rewarded by being given an even larger house than before. She neglects her children to go out and party. She is intelligent and able bodied and should have the common sense to use birth control. She has the cleverness not to. I know of a man who makes a very good income and just got a sizeable inheritance. He uses the low income energy assistance program to pay his heating bills and boasts of it. People like these make me sick and enraged.

By contrast, there are the disabled folks I met in line last summer waiting for a precious housing voucher that so far not a one of them has been issued. They suffer because of the excesses of people like the two above. It is my feeling that the current situation exists because of under funding rather than over funding. There simply are not enough people in the social service agencies to do proper oversight and allocate funds to those who really need them, rather than those who don't.

I just finished reading the annual report from the director of the State of Colorado's Adult Protective Services - the agency responsible for the prevention of financial and physical abuse of the elderly and disabled. In the first paragraph, the report states that the legislature has refused funding for Adult Protective Services for the fifth year in a row, and they are unable to staff any offices full time outside of 3 people in the Denver office. The rest of the state goes underserved or unserved completely. Three staff members for the entire city of Denver hardly makes for much of a watch dog outfit there, either.

The tragedies I witnessed on Colorado's Western Slope in the poverty stricken little towns far from the ski resorts or big cities of the Front Range are nothing short of unspeakable. These things shouldn't happen in a country like the United States. Meanwhile, meth girl continues to reproduce, and everyone else pays inheritance boy's heating bill.

Last edited by marichiko; 10-29-2005 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #43
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
How many tons of steel, how many barrels of oil, how many miles of railroad track is one human worth? How about 10 people, 50, 100?
I don't know. But I know the number must be finite. Or people would never get a damn thing done.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #44
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
The middle ground features capitalism, entreprenueship, personal responsibility, social safety net, education, and fairness. A progressive tax structure is a fairness component of the incentive-based Free Market Game. . . I didn't make the megabucks by my self in isolation, my taxes support the system that gave birth to my wealth.
Well said, Rock. A voice of sensibility.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:51 AM   #45
mrnoodle
bent

Didn't read much of the thread, but that won't keep me from running my mouth, of course. Why doesn't liberal "compassion" extend to individual, personal charity? Why, when a liberal feels compassion, does it always cost ME something?

I am a sucker for helping people out, and I'd be willing to bet that I've given more food and money to homeless junkies on the street than 80% of the people in here. Donate clothes and furniture, etc. etc.

So, it pisses me off a little when a group of people who have never met me say, "You are Republican and don't care enough. We are going to take the money you have made and distribute it to people we think deserve it more."

How about, NO YOU'RE NOT.