The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-09-2004, 08:26 PM   #31
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by ThreadHijackMan
Ta-daaa

Here I am!

Lady Sidhe, allow me give you some unsolicited advice that may keep you here a while.

**Feel free to use the ignore feature**

For those people that really irritate you, there's nothing like it.*

I plan to. Thanks.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:30 PM   #32
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Its not that folk here don't care about people getting into fights and arguments. Its that we all expect everyone to mostly be able to account for themselves. At least that's my impression. Were I inclined to get involved, I would have done so in the thread(s) in question. Bringing it out here to the main board doesn't really change my view.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #33
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
I have a question. Sidhe, is your husband a member of the cellar? what's his name?

ok that's 2 questions. dont start a thread about me.
I am a member, but haven't been for very long.

As far as IMing Wolf to interrogate her, that was my intent, but not to tattle to my wife. I was merely curious as to what would cause the two of them to enjoy each other's company so much. There was no dissembly on my part.

I think all of this is terribly amusing really. I've been a member of the online world for about ten years now, and I know forums such as this develop a sense of community, a sense of cohesion if you will, after a while. Communities protect the status quo generally. The Cellar already had a nutwrangler/criminal justice representative. Conflict was bound to occur.

In any event while I may have a certain domestic obligation to fulfill, cat-fights are fun to watch. This isn't the real world, no one is going to lose their lives. I say stand back and let the chicks fall as they may.

Last edited by Troubleshooter; 02-09-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #34
Lady Sidhe

Look, I'm not doing this to try to make wolf look bad. I don't even know that much about her, certainly not enough to consider her an idiot merely because she disagrees with me. And in retrospect, perhaps I should've said nothing. But I just got tired of the smart ass comments, and I knew that if I said anything to her, she'd start making an issue over the idea she has that I can't stand to be disagreed with. Which she HAS done.

I haven't been here long enough for anyone to see things from my side, so I don't really expect it. I know what kind of person I am. I'm not a drama queen, and I'm not thin-skinned. I was merely explaining my behavior.

I don't need her approval, and I don't care anymore whether I get anyone else's. She's been here longer than I have, so it's natural that people consider her a friend and are more likely to see things from her side of it. Like I said, I try to be pleasant to everyone. I didn't start the name-calling, and I'm not going to allow myself to be provoked into any kind of online argument. If she doesn't care about me, like she says, then why does she even bother to go to my forum?

Like I said, I'm just going to ignore her. It's over.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #35
Riddil
Management Consultant

Which brings up another interesting thought...

What is it in people that for some strange reason makes us instantly dislike some people? I'm sure we've all met people like this in real life and on the 'net as well...

There are just some people that the moment you meet them, read their posts, hear them speak, whatever... something just grates you the wrong way. They don't really SAY anything *wrong*, but there is still some level of animosity.

So strange.
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #36
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by Riddil
Which brings up another interesting thought...

What is it in people that for some strange reason makes us instantly dislike some people? I'm sure we've all met people like this in real life and on the 'net as well...

There are just some people that the moment you meet them, read their posts, hear them speak, whatever... something just grates you the wrong way. They don't really SAY anything *wrong*, but there is still some level of animosity.

So strange.

I've met people in real life who strike me that way. I think in that situation it would be subtle body language that we read that subconsciously bothers us in some way. As to people online, I've never really met anyone I've disliked right off the bat. I realize that one can't always tell tone from type, so I generally read several of their posts before I start forming an impression of them. I think that's also why I make an effort to type so as to be as clear as possible concerning "tone."

But there's a first time for everything, I guess.

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Old 02-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #37
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I hate everyone by default...it makes things so much easier.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:55 PM   #38
Lady Sidhe

Quote:

She's stuck in her beliefs. Somehow she believes she's open-minded, and can stand for a good debate. But once she's fixated on an idea then *bam*, that's the honest to God truth, and she will never bend. You can talk yourself blue in the face and give 100 examples but she will not budge on a single point. And the reason? Because if she DID change her mind then she feels like she'd be admitting that she is wrong, and you are right....

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Sidhe is near half that bad. She actually is well spoken and understands things at a deeper level than most. But still, the parallels are... amusing.

There's absolutely no way to prove to someone that you're open-minded if they refuse to believe it. If you defend your ideas, that, to them, proves their point. One can be open-minded and yet still argue their point without sacrificing open-mindedness. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. However, I'm not just going to give up my ideas (which I've formed through both gathering of information and debate) because someone disagrees with me, any more than anyone else would. If that makes me closed-minded in the eyes of some, so be it.

And I'm glad to hear that I'm not completely intolerable....

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #39
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I had suggested one reason. Some people, more than others, associate external items, actions, or accomplishments as personal extensions of their own being. For example, if one were a graduate of an Ivy League school, and very much personally attached to that accomplishment, then anything I say demeaning of that school would be a personal insult. How some perceive themselves can become that shallow. And yet that is what their entire life has been about. You cannot change that nor expect them to change that personal bias.

Amazing how important in public life it is to 'say the right thing'. Tell a truth but don't say it properly, and others will read hidden meanings into that statement. Not just take a different perspective. They may even take personal offense in how it was said. Simply what we do as people. Too often people see into statements and actions things well beyond the originator's intent. Call it bias. Such is life.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:02 PM   #40
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Equal oppurtunity hater. Sounds too politically correct for me.

Disclaimer - these are not fighting words.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #41
elSicomoro

PC? Nah...equality at its finest.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #42
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
And I'm glad to hear that I'm not completely intolerable
Not yet...time will tell.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #43
Lady Sidhe

Quote:

Well, that's one way of looking at it

I don't like people in general, but I like individuals, if that makes sense. People in general, or as groups, get on my nerves for some reason. I'm not sure why, but people as individuals are great to be around.

Maybe it's some kind of weird person-related agorophobia--or maybe it's really more common than everyone thinks. You know what I mean;

For instance, when you're on the road and are on a schedule, you wish all the other cars on the road would just disappear because, although THEY apparantly have no place to be, YOU do

...or when you've waited for thirty minutes in a grocery line, and then the person in front of you takes ten minutes to fill out a check that could've been filled out already except for the amount

....or when you're headed down a road that has many side roads, and a car just sits there and waits till you're twenty feet away then decides to pull right out in front of you as if you weren't there

....or when traffic stops dead when the light is green, but for some inexplicable reason starts moving when the light is red (what's up with THAT? Am I the only person that happens to?).

That's the kind of stuff about people in general that I hate. Brings to mind that quote--can't remember who said it right offhand, but it goes:

"What this world needs is a damned good plague."

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Old 02-09-2004, 11:11 PM   #44
Lady Sidhe

Quote:

Not yet...time will tell.

Fair enough. I can accept that.

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Old 02-09-2004, 11:24 PM   #45
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
Its not that folk here don't care about people getting into fights and arguments. Its that we all expect everyone to mostly be able to account for themselves. At least that's my impression. Were I inclined to get involved, I would have done so in the thread(s) in question. Bringing it out here to the main board doesn't really change my view.
As I said before, I didn't post this in order to polarize people. And also as I said before, perhaps I should not have posted it in the first place.

A combination of external stressors and then having to deal with behavior that, IMO, was unprovoked, just aggravated me to the point that I wanted to make clear why I was doing what I did. I wasn't trying to START an argument. I was just making clear that I wasn't going to be pulled into one.

I can fully admit that maybe I wasn't thinking, or thinking of the "ignore" button for that matter (I don't often go to the user cp, so I forgot completely that the ignore feature was there). I allowed someone to annoy me to the point that I just reacted. However, my "ignore" list is now properly updated, so it's no longer an issue.

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner