The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #61
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Let's face it: becoming a doctor takes a lot of commitment, focus, and dedication.
But not necessarily brilliance. Dedication and smarts don't always go hand-in-hand.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #62
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that's what I'm saying. The last thing I want is an overacheiver doctor.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #63
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

If I could just find a doctor who could help me with my boogie fever I think I'd be saved.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #64
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Being a good preacher takes a deep understanding of literature and psychology as well as strong communications skills, like being a professor.

My sister-in-law's cousin is a pastor who provided guidance, comfort and wisdom to the community until recently, when he was hospitalized for cancer. Now his son has mostly taken over for him. When I went to a service there, after not going to church for years, I was impressed by how well the young man took a story with which I was vaguely familiar -- the Prodigal Son -- and interpreted it to explain the story's relevance to contemporary life and from there, go into the Bible's perspective on family, love and loyalty. He incorporated movement and speaking techniques to create a strong stage presence and hold attention, just like good lecturers do. It was clearly a skilled performance.

I went to college because I am able to think on my own, but need to be exposed to new ideas and perspectives in order to grow intellectually. I imagine that going to church with a good pastor/priest offers similar benefits.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #65
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
This isn't really part of the topic but I feel like commenting on it anyways.

Where in The Bible does it say that as long as I believe in Jesus I will go to heaven or is this just a way for Christians to justify themselves?
You asked...
Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-13-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #66
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Saved does not equal go to heaven, however.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #67
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what about those poor poor folks that have never heard of jesu or yaweh? damned for eternity?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #68
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Its just that I have heard other quotes saying that it will be hard to get into the kingdom of heaven.

No contradictions though...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #69
ThirstySoul
Refrigerate after opening

try this: http://www.new-life.net/faq211.htm
answer #4 should probably be #1
ThirstySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #70
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
A fourth answer to your question is that people who bring up this question are seldom interested in unreached people. It is usually raised as an objection to Christianity, so that the person doesn’t have to personally deal with their decision about God. If unreached people aren’t accountable to God, then there is probably hope for the person asking the question to get by without dealing with Jesus. If a person is so concerned about people knowing Jesus, then why are they debating God's fairness when they should be telling others about His Son. Two thousand years ago Jesus said, "Go into all the nations and proclaim the good news" (Matthew 28:19). After two thousand years that mission is still unaccomplished. Why? Because men and women have been too self centered to fulfill the mission. After all this time it's really not God's fault that people don't know. It's ours.
i admit that i am not actually interested in unreached peoples. that does not change the fact that they exist. nor does it change the implication. and if it is the fault of the believer's that have 'failed' to bring god's message to them......should those unreached people suffer for it? this 'reason' is just spin. obfuscation.

that whole ultimatum thing xtians bow before is flawed. if you truly and elementally believe that jesus is god and that he died for your sins and that you will go to heaven if you confess your sins with your lips.......

bullllll shiiiiiit.

if you do fucked up stuff to other people.....and confess it....you still fucking did it. you are still gonna pay. maybe in this life, maybe in the next. maybe you'll suffer at the hands of others. maybe you'll torture yourself.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #71
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yznhymr View Post
You asked...
Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Now we know where it is written...how do we know it is *true*? I mean, I've got a book about a guy who was raised on Mars that says a lot of interesting stuff about religion, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go out and conquer a bunch of backwards nations to bring people around to the book's way of thinking.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #72
rkzenrage

I grok.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #73
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
A fourth answer to your question is that people who bring up this question are seldom interested in unreached people. It is usually raised as an objection to Christianity, so that the person doesn’t have to personally deal with their decision about God. If unreached people aren’t accountable to God, then there is probably hope for the person asking the question to get by without dealing with Jesus. If a person is so concerned about people knowing Jesus, then why are they debating God's fairness when they should be telling others about His Son. Two thousand years ago Jesus said, "Go into all the nations and proclaim the good news" (Matthew 28:19). After two thousand years that mission is still unaccomplished. Why? Because men and women have been too self centered to fulfill the mission. After all this time it's really not God's fault that people don't know. It's ours.
This is a perfect example of taking a preposterous position based on cherry picking a couple verses out of context. This man does a great disservice to mankind and God.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #74
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Heh, the whole idea is preposterous.