The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 28th, 2018: Mouse House

Brit Simon Dell sees a mouse in his garden, names him George, and builds him a house.
Then George drags a chick home and she won’t leave so Dell adds on to their abode and feeds them so he can take pictures.
The numbers increase. Well DUH, Dell, that’s what mice do.

Quote:
I pointed my camera at the ground and was shocked but very happy to see a very cute little house mouse standing up just like a meerkat in the fresh cut grass. I knew instantly he was a star and ran back inside to get a couple of peanuts to put down for him. Sitting there, waiting, it was only minutes before he came back out for the treats. It was at that point I thought I would give him a little shelter and safe place to hide and feed.

Quote:
A couple of days later, I noticed there could be more than one mouse inside the log pile and it was not long ’till they both came out for a bit of food. I decided to build them a home as I wanted to give them a safe place in the garden and not fall prey to cats or other animals. Also, as I was feeding the mice it was the right thing to do as I would feel it was my fault getting them to come out if they became prey. Being a wildlife photographer, I wanted to create a nice looking habitat for any pictures I would take.

Quote:
The first stage of the log pile was very easy and only took an hour or so to make. As more mice came the following days, however, I made changes, adding more rooms. The inside of the box structure has 2-3 ways in and out, so they can escape if need be. Over the weeks and months, the log pile village has been steadily growing. I added more space and made it ready for a cold winter, giving the mice the best chance possible to survive. I have counted around 5 or more mice and the female, Mildred, is looking very pregnant so hoping we will have a large litter of baby mice around Christmas.
Sounds like indentured modeling to me.

link
Old 11-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

"An cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell."
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote