The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

December 12, 2014: Grand Canyon fills with cloud

A "total cloud inversion" is what they called it; and at first, the visitors to the Canyon were miffed that they didn't get to see, you know, a canyon, rather than the soup bowl this was yesterday. Until they were told it was a kind of rare event. Then they felt special.

But what's really cool is how the soup rose from the bottom up, as this time-lapse (15 to 1) video shows:

more at Slate
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

That is totally awesome.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I saw it when I was there. I didn't realize it was rare.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The things you don't see when you're 2000 miles from something worth seeing...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pre-internet you may have never seen that, unless it made the TV news or a magazine. The catch-22 is, you wouldn't have known what you were missing either.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, we've been there twice, last time I was about 10, maybe 12.

Ne'er seed it full o' clouds, though.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've been there a few times and saw it with a layer of clouds below the south Rim but never filled up like that. It would be cool to see.

But consider the kid seeing the Grand Canyon on TV, in movies, travelogues, books and magazines. He develops an insatiable desire to see it, but family vacations are always at the beach. The desire grows into an obsession. Then his frat brothers say, "road trip", but he did the brown acid so they dumped him at a hospital and went without him. Just before he graduated his girlfriend announced her pregnancy so it was a scramble to find work, a place to live and get married, followed by a mortgage, dogs, cats, kids, and vacations at the beach in the in-laws condo. When finally the kids have taken everything of value and moved out, a concentrated saving spree with expired and dented food cans, and sitting in the dark a lot, there is enough money to make a modest trip to see from the South Rim Visitor's Center that glorious spectacle, nine miles wide and a mile deep. Money dictates only a one day stay and a cheap motel far from the park but at last the life long desire will be satiated and the biggie off the bucket list. You know what he saw, don't you. Now rare and cool it may be, but it's not the damn canyon.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
blueboy56
Master Locutor

That is similiar to what happened to my wife and I on our 40th wedding anniversery trip to Kauai. We went to see Waimea Canyon and actually saw Waimea rain/fog. Maybe next time. I hope. aloha.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy56 View Post
That is similiar to what happened to my wife and I on our 40th wedding anniversery trip to Kauai. We went to see Waimea Canyon and actually saw Waimea rain/fog. Maybe next time. I hope. aloha.
Us too, and the locals told us that the fog rises up into the canyon like clockwork at about 10am each morning. You'd think they might mention that to the tourists in the guide books.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote