The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
JBKlyde
Banned

righteous singing scares the devil... I'm not very good at it but I'm learning..
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Nothing scares the devil. Not even your singing.

JBK - are you at all into snake handling?

Coz that shit is crazy.

Also - no one should disrespect a grave. It's super bad luck and very negative karma.
The devil should get some respect.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #18
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
righteous singing scares the devil... I'm not very good at it but I'm learning..
See, this is the same problem you get with sci-fi fantasy shows. Doctor Who's a bugger for it. The Big Bad Alien War Machine is supposed to be the baddest ass in the entire universe, and whole empires falling in its wake, yet the Doctor manages to send it packing with a fancy screwdriver and a packet of jammy dodgers...

Or, ya know...intricate alien plans for the absolute destruction of Earth are foiled by the power of Love, or thought.

Righteous singing scares the devil. Please. Then he isn't much of a fucking threat is he? And people should just forget about the little imp and go about their daily lives in the world.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #19
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post

Not to mention, and I'm sorry if this is a little impatient and nasty of me, but: of all the things you could spend your time learning, this is what you've chosen? This great big pool of knowledge at your very fingertips and you're learning how to sing a defence against the devil?

I find myself getting increasingly frustrated by your posts. I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime and be brutally honest: you've got bags of curiosity and an eagerness to learn and find a truth, and you are throwing it away on charlatan faith courses and fictionalised visions of the world.

I find it frustrating because it is a waste. You are wasting your curiosity and eagerness on made up shit. You are so fucking eager to paint a landscape of mystery and deities you are missing all the really interesting stuff that might actually help you understand the world and your place in it. As much as any of us can.

You have a quicksilver mind and you are throwing it away on nonsense. It's heartbreaking to see.

And now. I am done. That was probably unwarranted and unkind, but it's been several months in the making.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Isn't Satan a fallen angel? So, Satan fell from grace for doing something sinful. We are all sinful.

So, JBK, I'll try again: why aren't you praying for the devil?

I think the only people who will get into heaven are those who prayed for the devil's redemption. It's the ultimate test. Christians want to pray for all the sinners but dance on Satan's grave. Doesn't that seem against the teachings of praying and forgiving and putting it all in god's hands?

What Would Twain Do?

Quote:
But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

--Mark Twain's Autobiography
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
JBKlyde
Banned

Satan is Nothing.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #22
infinite monkey

Well, you're going to hell then.

Simple as that.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #23
JBKlyde
Banned

I disagree I was baptized as an out ward sign of an inward grace.. I have done evil things but I repented... I confessed my sins and now I am walking in the grace of God.. and I'm not going to allow some monkey to tell me any different..
Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
I'm not going to allow some monkey to tell me any different..
snort
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
infinite monkey

You're missing the point entirely.

Do you pray for lost souls? Isn't that kind of central to the Christian way of life?

But you don't pray for the first sinner, the first lost soul.

I don't give a flying monkey's rump if you don't want to agree with what I'm saying, but you won't even address it.

So all that you say means absolutely nothing.

Yeah, pray for us all to accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. Except for the meanie debbil. Oh, and Rush Limbaugh. Maybe the I-95 Rapist.

This ain't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

There ain't no Forgiveness Salad Bar, where you pick and choose who is worthy of eternal salvation.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
This ain't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

The term I'm familiar with is "Shopping Cart Christian"

They get to pick which parts they agree with.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
infinite monkey

"Owner of a Shopping Cart" by Yes is one of my favorite songs.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
JBKlyde
Banned

yea you make a good point, but I don't want to go there...

I'll pray for the people under the influence of satan.. but satan himself is beyond reconciliation..

If you total your car in a car accident do you try to fix it or collect the insurance money??

You collect the insurance money.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
classicman

Is that the name of the song? I thought it was ...
"Owner of a Lonely Fart"
Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
JBKlyde
Banned

Quote:
Not to mention, and I'm sorry if this is a little impatient and nasty of me, but: of all the things you could spend your time learning, this is what you've chosen? This great big pool of knowledge at your very fingertips and you're learning how to sing a defence against the devil?

I find myself getting increasingly frustrated by your posts. I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime and be brutally honest: you've got bags of curiosity and an eagerness to learn and find a truth, and you are throwing it away on charlatan faith courses and fictionalised visions of the world.

I find it frustrating because it is a waste. You are wasting your curiosity and eagerness on made up shit. You are so fucking eager to paint a landscape of mystery and deities you are missing all the really interesting stuff that might actually help you understand the world and your place in it. As much as any of us can.

You have a quicksilver mind and you are throwing it away on nonsense. It's heartbreaking to see.

And now. I am done. That was probably unwarranted and unkind, but it's been several months in the making.
I enjoyed that message. I want people to be real with me, and sometimes I push the envelope to entice people to be honest.

Tags
curly whirly cuckoo, jbklyde's special sauce