The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Bye Bye, Sarah -

we (wish) we hardly knew ye:

WASILLA, Alaska (July 3) — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said Friday she is resigning from office at the end of the month, raising speculation that she would focus on a run for the White House in the 2012 race.
The former Republican vice presidential candidate made the surprise announcement from her home in suburban Wasilla on Friday morning. She said she would step down July 26 but didn't announce her plans.

Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional lame duck status in this particular climate would just be another dose of politics as usual, something I campaigned against and will always oppose," Palin said in a statement released by her office.
"It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments, and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success," she said.
Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell will be inaugurated at the governor's picnic in Fairbanks at the end of the month, Palin spokesman Dave Murrow said.
Palin was first elected in 2006 on a populist platform. But her popularity has waned as she waged in partisan politics following her return from the presidential campaign. Her term would have ended in 2010.

WTF did she say? Does that statement make sense?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

She's saying,

1.) I'm not running for re-election in 2010, because I want to make a presidential bid in 2012.
2.) I'd like to ensure that my party stays in power in the 2010 election, and thus will be giving my (Republican) lieutenant governor the chance to run as an "incumbent" rather than some guy no one's ever heard of.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

If Palin becomes our next president I'm going to become a militant lesbian.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

And here was me thinking this thread meant she'd completed the celeb heart-attack at 50 triumvirate
Old 07-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
FuglyStick
No Redeeming Qualities

Methinks there will be a rotting moose corpse turn up in the Alaskan executive branch in the near future, and she's trying to get out before it starts stinking.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i nominate Fuglystick for the best user handle from a newb.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

I can't imagine what she's thinking. It looks bad for a sitting governor to leave their term early; that won't be good for a run in 2012. I'm wondering if there is some other news fixing to come down the pike.

- Louis Adamic
Alluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I believe she is doing this because she THINKS it's a wise move; so she can travel around the country, making speeches and keeping herself in the public eye.

What will ACTUALLY happen is she will keep both feet firmly planted in her mouth while impregnating her ass with her thumbs and she will be shunned by the repubs next election time.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm betting she runs for congress in 2010, both the house and senate are up for Alaska.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm betting she runs for congress in 2010, both the house and senate are up for Alaska.
After quitting her existing position early? Who would vote for her when she can't even finish a job she started? I'm with Alluvial on this one -- news released on a holiday weekend can't be because it is good.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I dislike it when I see a mosquito in the room.

I dislike it even more when it flies out of sight, but you know its hanging around because you can still hear the whine.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

If she wins I'm out. I mean it I am going to seek political asylum before it really hits the fan
Attached Images

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
After quitting her existing position early? Who would vote for her when she can't even finish a job she started? I'm with Alluvial on this one -- news released on a holiday weekend can't be because it is good.
To hit the pre-campaign trail, raising money, writing a book, doing the sideshow circuit, without being accused of neglecting the Gov's office.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

If she does run it will be really bad for Republicans. The 'core' a.k.a. wingnut social conservatives love her, so she has a chance to get nominated. %70 of the population (including moderate and economic-issue Republicans and most Independents) wouldn't vote for her on a bet so she's an almost guaranteed loser against an incumbent Obama unless he royally screws up.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote