The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

True Blood

So, who else is watching the best trailer trash show on TV right now besides me and mine?

True Blood, in it's second season on HBO, is populated with quirky characters, all more than ably acted by a fine cast of mostly young players. The storyline is reasonably cogent, while still being wildly careening and "oh, snap" filled.

It has resonated with me from the first episode, even though it makes me feel dirty (in a liberating way) when I watch it. I just keep loving even more. Much as I like highbrow stuff, I find this show to be titillating in the extreme. Also, it occasionally satisfies the geek in me, as in Season Two/Episode Six, which I just watched.

A large part of this episode takes place at the church home of the Fellowship of the Sun, a Christian organization determined to take out the emerging vampire culture and the vampires that represent it that is exists in the world of TB. These scenes were apparently shot at Marty Leonard Chapel in Ft. Worth, TX. I only know this because, immediately upon seeing the church in Sunday's episode, I recognized the architect as being one Faye Jones, whose most renowned work is the Thorncrowne Chapel in Arkansas, and so I hopped online and looked up examples of his work until I found this one.

Jone's architectural style is immediately recognizable. He uses a lot of very simple, straight lines reminiscent of Frank Lloyd Wright (not surprising, as Jones was a student of and friend to Wright). I also have a fairly intimate knowledge of Jones' work, because when I worked at Earl Hankins Roofing and Sheet Metal, we contracted to construct a brass sculpture that was designed by Jones, and which now sits as the central form in the Fulbright Peace Fountain at the University of Arkansas. We also did the roofing on a chapel design that was constructed at Powell Gardens, East of Kansas City on Highway 50. I would venture to say that, at one time, I was probably the most knowlegeable roofing company office manager in KC where Faye Jones was concerned. ;-)

So...small world syndrome aside, who else watches True Blood? And as long as we're at it, anyone else a fan of Faye Jones' simple, elegant designs?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Cloud

I watched it all last season, but got too p.o'd because I'm a fan of the books, and the show went off in wildly non-book storylines. So I'm not watching it this time.

The books are better.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
pudel1

Thorncrown Chapel

I haven't read the books, but am hooked on the show and I also immediately recognized the chapel in last night's show. I knew it could not be Thorncrown because that one is in the woods, but the architecture is so distinctive and I knew Jones had designed others like Thorncrown. Wonder if they knew the plot of the show that was filmed there?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I like the show a lot, but I gotta say Jason's stupidity can be grating.

And yes, the church was beautiful.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
W.HI.P
Free

i don't watch normal tv at all.... i don't even flick through the channels.
its sports and movies.....and now, for true blood, hbo.
i love the show... the one thing that kinda bothered me, is i didn't like any of the girls.. until now that is ....this new vampire chick [bill compton's ex] is a goddess.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I have been watching it. I never read the books (though I just started the first one) so any differences aren't bothering me much.

If the sight of flowing blood bothers you, don't watch it. Also naked bits. (If I didn't know better, I'd think the producers had looked for a FAQ on filming nude scenes: Q: I'd like to film actors completely nude, but I don't want to stoke controversy by actually showing their genitalia. What is the best way to accomplish this? A: Just make sure there is another person's body, or head, pumping around on top. (Don't forget doggie style as an option!))

I like Jessica a lot. (Perhaps it's because she listed the clarinet right up there in the same breath with little sisters, parentally-administered belts, and homeschooling as things she was glad to not have to deal with anymore as a vampire.)

This whole weirdo cult thing is, well, weird. Between that, and the shapeshifters, and Sookie's abilities, it's obvious that we've got several things going on besides vampirism. It makes me wonder what latent ability Jason has.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As much as I like paranormal stuff, I just can't get into the paranormal romance genre.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
It makes me wonder what latent ability Jason has.
Gumpism.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Michelle Forbes, who plays Marianne, was giving me a "she looks familiar" vibe. But I hadn't bothered to look her up. She played a) Admiral Cain in Battlestar Galactica and b) Ensign Ro Laren in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Looks like she's bidding for a career attending cons....
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
FuglyStick
No Redeeming Qualities

The rest is just gravy
Old 08-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

oh my god, favorite show at the moment!!!!

What I would do to get my hands on Eric....mmmm....Eric!! or Bill.

Its not showing here, but I am watching it and loving it. Last weeks episode was the best this season.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
These scenes were apparently shot at Marty Leonard Chapel in Ft. Worth, TX. I only know this because, immediately upon seeing the church in Sunday's episode, I recognized the architect as being one Faye Jones, whose most renowned work is the Thorncrowne Chapel in Arkansas, and so I hopped online and looked up examples of his work until I found this one.
Here are the shooting locations for True Blood.

I don't see Ft. Worth listed, but it might be out of date.

I've been watching a few of the episodes. The Marianne character is interesting. I especially like the way they make her vibrate like a tuning fork when she's working her mojo. I was sort of wondering what would happen if someone were to taser her while she's doing that. Maybe we'll find out in a future episode.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
Flint
Snowflake

We love this show. I heard creator Alan Ball talking about it on NPR a while back, but it took us a while to get around to recording it. Now we're hooked. The intro to the show looks like something Rob Zombie would do, says Pooka. And, yes, hot redhead, vibrating Goddess, all that. We also love the sub-plot of the horny preacher's wife and her impressionable boy toy.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Cloud

gratuitous sex, and too far off the real plot. Poor Charlaine must be pissed. Boycott!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

Yeah, this thread is pretty much people who like the show.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote