The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-04-2001, 06:11 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I delayed joining this one until I actually had things playing. I have two things in rotation. One is Al Stewart, classy stuff recorded between 1973-93. His hits are pretty much representative of what it is: soft rock in a California mode, with folky sensibilities, sung by a Scot. I've bought it all twice, once on vinyl and once on CD, and the stuff I'm listening to is downloaded from Morpheus and re-burned to CD because I don't have the patience to build my own mix-CD the long-hand way. It's faster to download this stuff than it is to rip it, because if I wanted to rip it, I'd have to walk down the hall.

The other is the latest Weezer, because I heard that hit "Hash Pipe" and thought it was brilliant, in the tradition of all songs written in five minutes and played real loud. Fuzz guitar with pop sensibilities - I always fall for it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 08:08 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't own any of their albums, but Weezer are great. A lot of people were worried about Rivers Cuomo for a while, b/c he didn't seem to be in his right mind. "Pinkerton" was an underrated CD. I'm glad to see him come out of his shell and put out another record.

I have "Undone" on a Spin magazine sampler I got back in '94. And it always make me think back to Labor Day weekend 1994. My roommate Jim and I were only a handful of people that had stayed on campus at SEMO that weekend. We cranked that song up really loud and hopped about our floor like a couple of morons. This was followed by playing soccer & rollerblading--big no-nos in the common areas. Ah, to be 18 again...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:48 AM   #18
elSicomoro

Now currently playing...

Earth, Wind, and Fire--Greatest Hits: I'm sorry, but I dig the hell out of old-school soul and funk. This CD was in heavy rotation at my job last summer, along with "Mer de Noms" by A Perfect Circle. EWF just kicks ass...and they write great songs.

Back in 1994, when I did my first tour of duty in retail, I was a customer service manager. One Sunday afternoon, one of my cashiers received a phone call:

syc: "I'm sorry but (cashier's name) is unavailable to take a call right now. Can I take a message?"

other person: "Sure. Would you just let (cashier's name) know that I got an extra ticket for the Barry White show tonight and I wanted to see if she wanted to go..."

syc: "Oh shit! Wait a minute..."

At first my cashier said she didn't know if she wanted to go. I was like, "Are you crazy? Barry White is the MAN! You have to go to that show!" At that point, she probably thought I was a lunatic, which is half-true.

I might break out the P-Funk shortly...
Old 10-12-2001, 09:11 AM   #19
elSicomoro

I'm happy, yet listening to angry music...strange...

Pantera--Far Beyond Driven: Let's face it, Pantera kicks ass! Having said that, I would NEVER go see one of their shows...that would be a bit much.

ummm...Anthrax--Sound of White Noise: I kinda feel bad for the band right now, given what is going on in Florida. Apparently they were complaining about the bad publicity...but as Jay Leno noted last night, it's the most attention they've gotten in 5 years. This is a great CD though...it's a diversion from the goofier side of Anthrax.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:17 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Now it's <b>Dido</b> in my player - possibly the exact opposite of what Syc's listening to while still remaining on the side of all that is worthwhile and decent. I.e., no Celine Dion or Mariah.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 09:22 AM   #21
elSicomoro

*laughs*

But she DID collaborate with Eminem, which is on the opposite end of the mood radar.

(I don't mind Eminem, but the first time I saw him referred to as Feminem by ICP, I nearly fell out laughing.)
Old 10-12-2001, 06:12 PM   #22
jaguar
whig

Dido cd rocks, definate regular on my mp3 list. At the same time i lsiten to RATM, Linkin Park and when i'm in a really shitty mood, NIN. Bah, levels out in the end =)

Try a band called schpongle people, great trippyish working music =) Like techno without rules and the heavy beat.
Old 10-12-2001, 06:54 PM   #23
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Joy Division- Substance

Turned up LOUD. If the neighbors don't complain, it's not loud enough. With the autorepeat set to play "Love Will Tear Us Apart" over... and over... and over... and over...

Great music for Perl hacking.

#!/usr/bin/perl -lw
use strict;
$_='';
s//#?=> :}\~>\\!;/;
substr($_,-1)= ' )!{ \:<_!';
y/#):</JPac/;
s/!/Y</g;
y(<=>?)(rstu);
y/Y\\_/ehk/;
y/{}~/lno/;
print;
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 08:09 PM   #24
elSicomoro

Hubris, you mentioning that CD makes me want to go out and buy the new New Order CD now.
Old 10-14-2001, 02:05 AM   #25
elSicomoro

Finding new appreciation

Nine Inch Nails--The Fragile: For the longest time, I was a huge NIN fan. I bought this CD the week it came out. Unfortunately, at the time, I was in the middle of a move...and to be honest, I don't think I have ever listened to both CDs in their entirety. And what I heard originally was disappointing. However, I popped disc 1 into the CD player tonight...and it is a really good CD...better than I originally thought. I've always liked the way Trent can go from melancholy to full-blown rage. I'll probably pop disc 2 in tomorrow...but at this point, I am beat...
Old 10-14-2001, 12:50 PM   #26
leif
Confounded Conjuror

Radiohead, NIN, Bjork, Beck, Einsturzende Neubauten, Kraftwerk, and Aphex Twin would be my top bands that I think are really really really good. I've seen Radiohead, Neubauten, and NIN in concert, and I'll be seeing Bjork in about 4 days. I've heard something about an S.F. Aphex Twin show in January, and I just hope I get tickets on time...

I like some other 'lesser' stuff too, from Eminem to Chumbawumba (hey, they did a lot more than that one Tubthumber song, and they've got some inteligent things to say!). Right now I'm listening to Bloodhoundhang.

Lately, I've been getting into hip-hop stuff like DELTRON 3030 and other fine works featuring Dan the Automator and Del tha Funky Homosapien. And Squarepusher, too. Squarepusher is great.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 02:48 PM   #27
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
#!/usr/bin/perl -lw
use strict;
$_='';
s//#?=> :}\~>\\!;/;
substr($_,-1)= ' )!{ \:<_!';
y/#):</JPac/;
s/!/Y</g;
y(<=>?)(rstu);
y/Y\\_/ehk/;
y/{}~/lno/;
print; [/b]
Bareword found where operator expected at ./test.pl line 6, near "y/#): s/!/Y"

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 02:48 PM   #28
elSicomoro

Dan the Automator kicks ass. I wish he and Kool Keith would do another Dr. Octagon CD. He also did a great remix of Depeche Mode's "Only When I Lose Myself."

I didn't know Richard James was still doing the Aphex Twin project. I have the "Richard D. James" album, which is really wild. Another group in that vein is Add n to (x), who do a lot of strange stuff with synthesizers. Check out their album "Avant Hard."

Last edited by elSicomoro; 10-14-2001 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2001, 04:33 PM   #29
mbpark
Lecturer

Buckethead

Right now, I've got CD's from one of the greatest avant-garde guitarists ever, Buckethead, in the player and by the stereo.

Here's the CD's I recommend:

Monsters and Robots. It features Les Claypool, Bootsy, and Brain, and a host of other musicians. Easily one of my favorite CD's of all time, especially for The Ballad Of Buckethead.

Giant Robot. Way cool.

Praxis - Transmutation. Incredibly good.

Colma- mellow, darn artistic, and very very good.

Somewhere Over The Slaughterhouse - Lots of Electronica in here, however still very good.

Praxis - Metatron - Awesome CD.

What's even funnier is that he's the lead guitarist now for one of my favorite bands of all time, Guns N Roses. His usual drummer, Brain, is now the GNR drummer. This guy kicks butt no matter what he plays. And, because of him, I'm startin to pick up a lot of electronica and jazz fusion you'd never catch me listening to .

Mithc
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:33 AM   #30
leif
Confounded Conjuror

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I didn't know Richard James was still doing the Aphex Twin project. I have the "Richard D. James" album, which is really wild. Another group in that vein is Add n to (x), who do a lot of strange stuff with synthesizers. Check out their album "Avant Hard."
I don't have Avant Hard, but I've got another Add n to (x) album called "Add insult to injury". It's quite good. It's got the very-catchy "Plug Me In" song whose music video made memepool not long ago...

Richard D. James, under the name Aphex Twin, has a new album coming out this month actually called "Drukqs". It's a two disc set, and the 15 or so tracks I've gotten off gnutella so far are really really excellent. Checkout http://www.aphextwin.nu/ for more info.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote