Old 08-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #16
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oh, please--?? Did you get freaked-out? TELL! :
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #17
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Oh, please--?? Did you get freaked-out? TELL!

All buildings have a feel to them and this bar was neither good or bad. Regardless, there was something oddly edgey to the whole experience. I love exploring abandoned buildings and some of them feel very positive and comfortable, as if you could play around in them all day and never feel threatened, but this bar... there was something "wrong" with it, specifically the cooler. I pushed aside the aged plastic walk-in refridgerator flaps and... it wasn't good.

I feel strange for stating it that way, because I'm not one to think along "those lines". What happened during my exploration and my feelings were all part of an overactive imagination, I'm sure.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Thanks for indulging me, Kitsune. Don't be too sure about the "overactive imagination" thing, though. I believe places/buildings can absorb energy...ever been to Gettysburg? That is one eerie place.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:33 AM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I believe places/buildings can absorb energy...

I was always certain that this was bunk and that it is always the product of one's imagination or just the general surroundings. For instance, on entering the bar, I was sure that it was not a place where happy celebrations occured and I couldn't say why. But then it becomes a bit obvious: its a mining town bar, the town shut down, I know the bar outlasted the town by at least six months, etc. There sure as hell were some bad times there as workers stared into their drinks and pondered where they were going to go and where they were going to find work.

Yet, the overall feeling that some places instill into me is amazing. It is, without question, downright creepy now and then. Old buildings are wonderful in a way and I can't, for whatever reason, chalk all of it up to the surroundings. A lot of the emotions and feelings from old buildings just seem to seep out of the walls, sometimes. And, if you close your eyes and listen carefully...

Don't be too sure about the "overactive imagination" thing, though.

Oh, I'm not. I just keep saying that for my own benefit. No doubt: some places get to me in weird ways I don't feel comfortable admitting.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #20
warch
lurkin old school

You can see the "hand" in the hand stenciled signs.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Never happens to you, warch? Maybe you just don't have your funk-on.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #22
warch
lurkin old school

Oh, my funk be on. I'm saying, what adds to the eerieness for me is the trace of someone stenciling the signs. The trace of their hand and eye. Just a bit crooked. And when you enter any abandoned space there are those traces- human stuff that falls into the cracks.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
And when you enter any abandoned space there are those traces- human stuff that falls into the cracks.
Exactly! And that's the energy! it falls into the cracks! scary, huh?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #24
warch
lurkin old school

I find it reassuring,... the trace evidence.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #25
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I find it reassuring,... the trace evidence.

I love it, to find things like that. The kind of things that make you wonder who did it, why they did it the way they did, and what caused them to leave and where they are now. The bar was made using minimal materials, mostly playwood and thin coats of paint. I'm certain the owner or builder never intended anyone to take an interest in it after they left, but I find the place full of unheard stories and I think thats cool. Of course, I'm weird that way, which is why I love old, abandoned buildings. Even if no one lives in them or uses them anymore, they leave plenty of things behind, often unintentionally.

I'll never know who ran that bar, if they're still alive, and where they went.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #26
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You and I would travel well together, Kit. Reading your descriptions of your thoughts and feelings is exactly how I view old structures and places. I drive my wife crazy because I like to stop at all the old Civil War battlefields I can find, most of which are just big fields and treelines here in the Midwest. She finds it boring, I find it absorbing, haunting.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #27
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

A nice quiet bar has no wind passing through and no one passing wind.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #28
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
[i] I pushed aside the aged plastic walk-in refridgerator flaps and... it wasn't good.
can you google old newsstories to see if there were any events reported there. maybe some crazy ass customer who saw his job taken away chopped up the barstaff and threw them in the cooler... er something. uh, nevermind.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

No-that's a great idea, lookout123. Could you do that Kitsune? I'll betcha something weird DID happen in the cooler area. How can we find out?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 PM   #30
Kitsune
still eats dirt

can you google old newsstories to see if there were any events reported there.

Google isn't going to have anything on this, because I seriously doubt the net will. The bar hasn't been in operation since, at the most, 1972 or so.

I'm going to drop by the nearby museum and county records office. They have there, I've been told, old articles and maps for purchase along with all the standard stuff. I'll check there, if you like.