The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bell Scandal: it's All-Democratic!

It's worthy of remark that Republican scandals trend heavily to sexual misbehavior this generation -- and Democratic scandals all seem to revolve around financial misbehavior.

Quote:
The Orange County Register published an editorial which says that in the wake of the Bell salary scandal, readers noticed one part of the story has been left out by virtually all media sources: the political party affiliations of the five city council members who not only failed to protect city coffers, but participated in what amounts to shameless, if apparently legal, self-dealing.

According to the editorial, all five city council members are Democrats and Bell also is an overwhelmingly Democratic city. [Hardly seems unfair. --UG] Of the 9,918 registered voters, 6,193 are registered Democrats and there are more decline-to-state voters (1,760) than there are Republicans (1,289), according to the Registrar of Voters.
Bolding mine. From Xinhua, dateline Los Angeles.

Now, I wearily suppose, Redux will come bustling out with some sterile, fruitless anti-Republican tu-quoque, and thus "defend" the Donkey Party's "honor," perhaps in relation to a town of Bell's size for balance. To paraphrase James D. Nicoll, the trouble with defending the Dem Party's purity or honor is that it's about as pure as a cribhouse whore, and no more than twice that honorable.

I know of no single, solitary rational reason (just a lot of lies and speciousness, bread and circuses; nothing to appeal to the thoughtful) to vote for anyone in the Democratic Party. But Redux, who has no conscience other than what the Party gives him, will vote for them anyway, and drive America to hell as far as he can manage it. So when your 401(k)s collapse through inflation driven by trillions in deficit, blame him too; I will not be voting against the dollar by voting for any Dems. They rely, you know, on the economically unlettered, the unwise, and the dull-normal vote. Don't be those guys.

Instead, vote that all the Obama initiatives remain unfunded, repealed, removed, destroyed. Then you are still likely to have a retirement plan. You can bet the Bell guys do -- nice ones.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 08-09-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Urbane Guerrilla

Continued.

Quote:
Bell's city council is made up of five elected members: Mayor Oscar Hernandez, Vice Mayor Teresa Jacobo, and council members Luis Artiga, George Mirabal and Lorenzo Velez. According to our review of voter registration records, Ms. Jacobo, Mr. Artiga, Mr. Mirabal and Mr. Velez are registered Democrats. There are multiple voter registration records for the name Oscar Hernandez, but Mayor Hernandez has endorsed a number of Democratic candidates, including most recently Hector De La Torre for Insurance Commissioner in the June 8 Democratic Primary and Luiz Marquez, a candidate for the 50th Assembly District Democratic Primary.
From the Orange County Register: More Bell Vibrations.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Lamplighter

Wow, UG you really nailed 'em that time... especially the part about all the Democratic office holders in that community which has only 7:1 majority of Dem to Repub registered voters. I'm impressed.

That must be the general public is up in arms over those salaries.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Urbane Guerrilla

Lamplighter, dear boy. Did you happen somehow to miss the parenthetical remark inserted into the second para I quoted? I've gone back and italicized and expanded a bit -- shoulda done that the first time, really. Mea culpa.

And they sure as hell are up in arms -- aren't those pictures something? The latest is the officials are knocking their pay down by 90% annually out of sheer embarrassment. Two have ceased to draw their pay entirely, though it doesn't look like they're going to miss a mortgage payment in so doing, either.

This crops up from time to time. It is the weakness in a democracy: these guys voted themselves the treasury. Something that was more a weakness of character than of a democracy was they used voter fraud to do it -- check out how many votes there were in the election that voted these guys the treasury, and what happened with the absentee ballots cast therein. Quite a tale. One of stuffing.

The majority is nearer five to one, there being about seventeen hundred Decline To State voters registered in Bell. Still decisive, to be sure -- for now.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Lamplighter

OK, I was reacting more to your title and the link than to what was in the quote boxes. I guess I over-reacted... Sorry.

And I agree more with your follow up post
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bell california, democrats