The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cool The only thing we have to Custard is Custard Itself!

Smartass Custard

Interviewing the Smartass Manager

Kopps Frozen Custard

I think if I were Joe B, I'd be working this for the funny, say, doing an FDR impression. "The Only Thing we have to Custard is Custard Itself!!" or "In God We Custard!" or "If We* don't give Tax Relief, it's Custard's Last Stand!" Ba-Dump-Kssshh! I'm here every week; try the veal.

*Royal or imperial "we."
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bill Clinton won the Bosnian War
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Bwahahahahaha
Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

I wonder if non-americans agree with UT's assessment.

I don't know, I wasn't paying attention at the time... so, being bored (sick kids), I looked it up on wiki. Clinton is only mentioned once on the wiki page for the Bosnian War,

Quote:
The Bosnian government lobbied to have the embargo lifted but that was opposed by the United Kingdom, France and Russia. US proposals to pursue this policy were known as lift and strike. The US congress passed two resolutions calling for the embargo to be lifted but both were vetoed by President Bill Clinton for fear of creating a rift between the US and the aforementioned countries. Nonetheless, the United States used both "black" C-130 transports and back channels including Islamist groups to smuggle weapons to the Bosnian government forces via Croatia.[29]
and not at all on the Yugoslav Wars page, which sums up the end of the Bosnian war this way

Quote:
In 1994 the U.S. brokered peace between Croatian forces and the Bosniak Army of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina. After the successful Flash and Storm operations, the Croatian Army and the combined Bosniak & Croat forces of Bosnian & Herzegovina, worked together in an operation codenamed Operation Maestral to push back Bosnian Serb military gains. Together with NATO air strikes on the Bosnian Serbs, the successes on the ground put pressure on the Serbs to come to the negotiating table. Pressure was put on all sides to stick to the cease-fire and finally negotiate an end to the war in Bosnia. The war ended with the signing of the Dayton Agreement on the 14 December 1995, with the formation of Republika Srpska as an entity within Bosnia and Herzegovina being the resolution for Bosnian Serb demands.
So anyway, I'd like to hear more. Was the US peace brokering the important part, or the arms smuggling, or what? What really went on over there? Inquiring minds...
Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I wonder if non-americans agree with UT's assessment.

I don't know, I wasn't paying attention at the time... so, being bored (sick kids), I looked it up on wiki. Clinton is only mentioned once on the wiki page for the Bosnian War,

and not at all on the Yugoslav Wars page, which sums up the end of the Bosnian war this way

So anyway, I'd like to hear more. Was the US peace brokering the important part, or the arms smuggling, or what? What really went on over there? Inquiring minds...
My recollection is along the lines that Clinton was given favorable credits because he approved using U.S. air-strikes (for the first time ?) to help balance the ethnic battles that were raging. But then my memory has faded since those times...
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Redux

In addition to the US-led NATO involvement, the Dayton Accords that Clinton brokered brought the war to an end.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I am not sure you can really call that a "win"?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

St. Louis has Ted Drewes frozen custard. It's the best I've tasted of anywhere we've lived.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

Here's the fact sheet on Deliberate Force, showing the US accomplishing 66% of the NATO airstrikes - and Clinton was obviously president at the time...
I was just wondering if the Euros et. at. see this as "Clinton Won" or if they view it like the US taking credit for winning the world wars or the 'world's reaction' to the soccer game thing.
No big whoop.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Here's the fact sheet on Deliberate Force, showing the US accomplishing 66% of the NATO airstrikes - and Clinton was obviously president at the time...
I was just wondering if the Euros et. at. see this as "Clinton Won" or if they view it like the US taking credit for winning the world wars or the 'world's reaction' to the soccer game thing.
No big whoop.
Or us just doing their dirty work when they didn't have the balls to get together and do it themselves, just thinking out loud here about another possibility.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If UG doesn't read the thread, it's all wasted!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Or us just doing their dirty work when they didn't have the balls to get together and do it themselves
What happened happened, it's history now... which is kinda my point. After reading the wiki articles on it, which barely mention US involvement, I'm wondering if history is still written by the victors.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
If UG doesn't read the thread, it's all wasted!
I think you could use the tree fall noise format here.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Urbane Guerrilla

If a tree falls in the forest while I'm in town, dang right I'm not going to know too much about that tree. If a tree falls in town while I'm out at sea, I'll have to ask about the tree when I pull back in.