The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-22-2004, 10:05 AM   #46
evansk7
Disorderly Orderly

A bunch of dive buddies and I took a ferry to Ireland and suited & kitted up before walking aft and suggesting to fascinated passengers that they not worry, because it's probably nothing, and we'd be sure to inform them over the tannoy if the little problem turned out to be anything serious.

The staff thought it was quite funny, in the end, and they didn't have us sodomised by the police - much to my (retrospective) surprise.

Ah, it was a more innocent age back then.
evansk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #47
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
I'm tempted to start packing wierd random item in my luggage just to fuck with them a bit, maybe a single tomato wrapped in gaffa tape or a photo of a picasso.
To roughly paraphrase Doug Stanhope, buy the largest sex toy you can find. Cover it with a mixture of melted chocolate and ketchup, and let it dry. Find some flesh-colored foam and rubber-cement a few tiny bits onto the side of it. Wrap it in aluminum foil, stick it in your suitcase, and enjoy the spectacle when it goes through X-Ray.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:39 AM   #48
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

I want to knit iron filings into my entire suit.

"You need not scan me, I am magnet-man!"
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #49
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

I won't get deeply into the politics of it all, but would like to add, in case anyone missed it, that this woman used Anne Coulter as a cite in this article. The whole thing smells like a UL (and yeah, I'm aware it actually took place). I'm just sayin'. If there were air marshalls all over the plane, why did they need another passenger to write descriptions? If the airline or anyone else thought they were so F-ing dangerous, why weren't they questioned BEFORE they flight took off? The guy wouldn't return her friendly smile? Wahhh. Muslim men would consider smiling at a woman outside their own family way too intimate. Interesting to note that eating at McDonald's and needing orthopedic shoes should send up a red flag.

And if congregating around the bathroom was a crime, women all over the world would be in lockup for good. This whole thing rang of self-important, whiny, smarmy white-chick prejudice to me. NOTHING happened to the Precious Princess, and she still has to yodel about it.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #50
Kitsune
still eats dirt

...marshalls all over the plane...

I don't believe this for a second. They usually put, what, one air marshall on a plane? Maybe two at the most? Do the flight attendants really know who is and who isn't an AM? Is a flight attendant really stupid enough to tell a passenger if they did know?

Interesting to note that eating at McDonald's and needing orthopedic shoes should send up a red flag.

The multiple visits to the bathroom were flagged. To me, if you have a bag of McDonald's food and you aren't visiting the bathroom repeatedly, you're suspect.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #51
jaguar
whig

You dive in english weather? Ye gods that brings new meaning to blue balls, and here's me thinking Melbourne in the summer was bad.

Quote:
To roughly paraphrase Doug Stanhope, buy the largest sex toy you can find. Cover it with a mixture of melted chocolate and ketchup, and let it dry. Find some flesh-colored foam and rubber-cement a few tiny bits onto the side of it. Wrap it in aluminum foil, stick it in your suitcase, and enjoy the spectacle when it goes through X-Ray.
"what's this for?"
"I use it to violently sodomise off-duty baggage inspectors"

It's almost be worth the ensuing imprisonment and cavity search.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:46 PM   #52
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
I won't get deeply into the politics of it all, but would like to add, in case anyone missed it, that this woman used Anne Coulter as a cite in this article. The whole thing smells like a UL (and yeah, I'm aware it actually took place). I'm just sayin'. If there were air marshalls all over the plane, why did they need another passenger to write descriptions? If the airline or anyone else thought they were so F-ing dangerous, why weren't they questioned BEFORE they flight took off? The guy wouldn't return her friendly smile? Wahhh. Muslim men would consider smiling at a woman outside their own family way too intimate. Interesting to note that eating at McDonald's and needing orthopedic shoes should send up a red flag.

And if congregating around the bathroom was a crime, women all over the world would be in lockup for good. This whole thing rang of self-important, whiny, smarmy white-chick prejudice to me. NOTHING happened to the Precious Princess, and she still has to yodel about it.
You can take it as "self-important, whiny, smarmy white-chick prejudice" if you want to, (and I'm sure many do) or you can take it as a wake up call. Even if nothing happened on this flight, and 17 Syrians just happened to know each other but didn't board as a group, and have a need to urinate and/or defecate more than twice on a short flight, and "hang out" near bathrooms, and not have seats booked together, and have a cover story that was never checked up on or followed up, that doesn't mean that we should be suspicious about it, right? It doesn't mean that they were doing a "dry run" or anything. Just coincidence. Yeah. That's it. Coincidence.

Most of the attacks on American interests overseas were perpetrated by "Middle Eastern" men, so maybe, just maybe, we should not worry so much about "political correctness" and get serious about securing our nation. Yes, that means we're going to lose some personal freedoms. Yes, that means we'll spend more for a plane ticket and wait in longer lines. I'd rather pay $300 more for an airline ticket and wait for 2 hours to get through security and eat with plastic forks at the $50 for a bagel restaurant AND BE SAFE, rather than bow to the "politically correct" viewpoint and security miss something because "we can't screen more than 2 people of this type", and die for some nut's religious views.

You know what? If "racial profiling" applied to white folks, we'd have a serious problem. "We can't screen more than 2 white people per plane." How about I scream discrimination?

Why is it discrimination when it's Middle Easterners but not when its whites?

Edit to add: You know what? The terrorists discriminate, too. Anyone not them. There could be Islamists on the plane they blow up. How do they know? They don't care. Why should we?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 07-22-2004 at 02:52 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #53
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

There were 14 Syrians, IIRC. And I agree, it should be a wake up call. We should be awakened to the fact that our prejudices don't always hold water. Their baggage was checked, just like everyone else's. Add that to not doing a fucking thing except making some white people uncomfortable. The widdle weporter was uncomfy on a fwight? Cry me a freaking river. Nobody proved they did ANYTHING wrong. WTF should they have to sit together? Maybe they booked their tickets on PriceLine and that's the only way they could get them. IT'S NOT OUR BUSINESS. THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. I know! It must have been that weird, non-English language they were speaking. Ethnocentricity in action.

Who are the "terrorists" you're referring to here? Surely not these guys, as the only terror they caused was what Little Miss brewed up in her own mind. Again, they did NOTHING WRONG. But it's okay to discriminate against them, because they have dark skin... Go ahead and "scream discrimination" if that's what puts the starch in your socks. No skin off my teeth. Probably won't get you very far, unless you can back it up.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #54
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

BTW, who was who said that people who would give up freedoms for a little temporary security deserving neither? Not being snarky, I really can't remember. I agree though.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:19 PM   #55
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah.....what Jane Says
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:19 PM   #56
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ben Franklin said it.

And while under the rules at the time they didn't do anything wrong, the FAA changed the rules because of them and other situations like theirs, such that you can no longer congregate in the aisles or at the bathroom, and a flight attendant will rigorously check the bathroom every two hours. So next time, they WILL be doing something wrong, and it WILL be our business.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:24 PM   #57
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Franklin said it, but I seem to remember that someone else (Jefferson?) had a very similar quote, so one may have borrowed it from the other.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #58
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Yeah, next time, it will be. However, it wasn't "wrong" at the time, and had anyone else been doing it, they rules likely would not have changed at all.

Thanky for the amen, DanaC.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
Who are the "terrorists" you're referring to here? Surely not these guys, as the only terror they caused was what Little Miss brewed up in her own mind. Again, they did NOTHING WRONG. But it's okay to discriminate against them, because they have dark skin... Go ahead and "scream discrimination" if that's what puts the starch in your socks. No skin off my teeth. Probably won't get you very far, unless you can back it up.
This is not the only instance.
Quote:
A second pilot said that, on one of his recent flights, an air marshal forced his way into the lavatory at the front of his plane after a man of Middle Eastern descent locked himself in for a long period. The marshal found the mirror had been removed and the man was attempting to break through the wall. The cockpit was on the other side.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #60
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Instance of what? Where did you read that one of these fourteen guys tried to break through a wall? Again, they were INNOCENT. Did NOTHING. They did nothing but offend the bigoted sensibilities of some white chick on a plane. That is all.