The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: do you make 'enough' money?
No, I wish I made more money 25 56.82%
I'm content with my income 17 38.64%
I think I actually make too much and should give some away 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #91
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Yo Cic, just let rip, don't hold back. please. you may not feel better, but you might, and you won't feel worse.

The reality is, though, that there is no perfect healthcare system, no perfect insurance system. You'd be just as fucked in the UK. Life just sucks, sometimes. With Universal healthcare comes universal awareness that wasting the doctor's time is a bad thing. So diagnoses often come too late...

Cancer is just a bummer, no matter what insurance and cover you have. Sorry it happens to be your bummer right now. I have you down as rthe type of person who doesn't give up, though, so good luck, you will get there.

I know....I know. But since my little plans for insurance have been foiled, I now have more options. Like, my husband has to quit working at some point (when he's sick)so I can prove us indigent enough to be accepted for medicare or medicade. Until that time occurs we are paying out of our pockets. And when it gets really bad I can apply with the state of NM as a home healthcare worker and can take care of my husband at home. Of course we are not going to be able to afford the place we are in, and downsize to a studio. Or I'm going to ******* and run ......and let my husband die on a beach in Mexico with some fucking dignity....haven't decided yet. It could go either way.

Maybe I can pay a Canadian on this board to marry him for a short period? Any takers?

Well- pm me if you are interested.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #92
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I know...I know....damn that human nature. And waiting...damn waiting...I heard this one guy had to wait 150 years and then they amputated the wrong leg....and he was left on a gurney in the corridor to recover. I heard that.
I bet it was on the internet. That's where I do all my research. And TV.

Last edited by queequeger; 09-21-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: grammar!
queequeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #93
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Hi SamIam! Good to see one of your random visits!!

To the Haters.
Would it really bother you that much to let me have some proper healthcare for my husband before he kicks the bucket and leaves me on this ridiculous piece of insanity called earth, broke and crazy?

Should I really have saved 6 digits just in case my young husband had terminal cancer? Really?

This is a pretty sore spot for me right now. I'm in danger of cussing at people again. Universal Healthcare would enhance my life right now is all I'm going to say. And don't call me lazy or a welfare slut. My husband and myself are very hard-working people. (Unless I'm dicking around with you guys on the cellar)

Just nevermind. Really. Fuck it. It's like banging my head against a wall.
Hey, Cicero! Nice to "see" you again! Sorry as can be about your bad news. Damn, Damn, Damn, and Damn again. If you want, PM me with your phone number (I lost it), and maybe I can give you some advise re the SYSTEM

To Clodfobble: Their are recruiting sites for EVERY profession. I bet they are even some for your line of work, whatever it is. Recruiting sites are not in themselves evidence of scarcity, although they can be an indicator of sorts. There's a big shortage of doctors of all kinds in the more rural areas, and I noticed many of the ads for OB-GYN's were for places like Bumfuck, Idaho (no offence to anyone here from Bumfuck).

To Lookout: I discovered an entire site on how doctors can disguise their assets - putting money in their children's names was only the most obvious of more devious plans that I didn't have the patience to read, not being a broker or a banker. And, anyhow, I don't have much sympathy for someone who whines about making a mere 150K/year. Sure, people in other professions can earn as much or more, so why didn't the folks who became Doc's just skip the entire Med School/Advanced Training treadmill, and go sell used cars, for example?

I would assume that at least some people are drawn to medicine for other reasons than money - reasons that cause them to suck it in and eke out an existance at a lowly 150K. And you never answered my question about what sort of society you prefer to live in. Is it one where Cicero's young husband dies of a deadly disease due to lack of medical care? If so, quite frankly, shame on you!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #94
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
And you never answered my question about what sort of society you prefer to live in. Is it one where Cicero's young husband dies of a deadly disease due to lack of medical care? If so, quite frankly, shame on you!
well, there you go, why don't you just ask when I quit beating my wife?

Do I wish ill upon Cicero or her family? absolutely not, it is horribly sad. Do I want to live with universal, tax payer funded medical care? hell, no. I prefer to live in a place where the market (consumer) decides the value of all goods and services. Supply and demand and all that.

Now if you want to talk about legitimate ways of sheltering money, i can do that all day - but this probably isn't the right thread.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #95
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam
And, anyhow, I don't have much sympathy for someone who whines about making a mere 150K/year...
I would assume that at least some people are drawn to medicine for other reasons than money - reasons that cause them to suck it in and eke out an existance at a lowly 150K.
I guess you just completely skimmed over the part where a huge portion of that salary, often over $100,000 a year, goes directly to paying for malpractice insurance? Hint: subtraction is the key here.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #96
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
...I don't have much sympathy for someone who whines about making a mere 150K/year....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I guess you just completely skimmed over the part where a huge portion of that salary, often over $100,000 a year, goes directly to paying for malpractice insurance? Hint: subtraction is the key here.
I think making refers to what he puts into his pocket AFTER expenses like insurance. But that's just a guess...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #97
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

..........yea this is awesome.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #98
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I am sure it works differently for different docs, but many times malpractice ins is paid by the practice.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #99
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
I am sure it works differently for different docs, but many times malpractice ins is paid by the practice.
It still comes out of your bottom line to the practice as potential income. It is an expense that must be paid every year.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #100
theotherguy

Very true, but it is not necessarily a direct 1-to-1 correlation to a doc's salary unless it is a single doc in the practice.

Don't misunderstand me here. I think they deserve the money made. Some even deserve more than what they get once told by the insurance carriers what they get to make.

Last edited by theotherguy; 09-21-2007 at 04:33 PM.
theotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #101
TheMercenary

Quote:
Very true, but it is not necessarily a direct 1-to-1 correlation to a doc's salary unless it is a single doc in the practice.

Don't misunderstand me here. I think they deserve the money made. Some even deserve more than what they get once told by the insurance carriers what they get to make.
One practice I work for has 4 docs. They get all get a salary. Then they get a bonus based on the amount of work they do individually. It is a big busy practice and they all make a pretty good chunk of change. They all pay nearly 100k in malpractice each. The practice pays for it. The practice only gets income because of the docs. The docs are the only source of income, no docs, no income, no practice. If they did not have income to the business the business could not pay their malpractice, from their income. The higher the malpractice payment the less they have for other costs, including their own salary, and the salary of about 30 people who work for them.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #102
theotherguy

That is what I am saying. I am not sure if you are agreeing with me or not.

Let's say the malpractice ins gets cut in half so they now have, just to simply things, an extra $200,000 in profit for the group. That doesn't mean that they will each get an extra $50,000. They probably would like to spend that money on extra support staff or new equipment or more current magazines in the waiting room. In my business, an extra $3,000,000 to our bottom line does not immediately get divided up among the managers and partners. It does increase our bonuses, but not by a total of $3,000,000.

I am not saying that it would absolutely not change how much money the doc takes home. It might. It might not. I was simply refuting Clod's claim that a large portion of a doc's 100K salary goes to pay for malpractice insurance.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #103
TheMercenary

Quote:
That is what I am saying. I am not sure if you are agreeing with me or not.

Let's say the malpractice ins gets cut in half so they now have, just to simply things, an extra $200,000 in profit for the group. That doesn't mean that they will each get an extra $50,000. They probably would like to spend that money on extra support staff or new equipment or more current magazines in the waiting room. In my business, an extra $3,000,000 to our bottom line does not immediately get divided up among the managers and partners. It does increase our bonuses, but not by a total of $3,000,000.

I am not saying that it would absolutely not change how much money the doc takes home. It might. It might not. I was simply refuting Clod's claim that a large portion of a doc's 100K salary goes to pay for malpractice insurance.
We are in agreement. But when people pay out such large sums the only way they see it is that it is robbery, which it is in many cases.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #104
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy
I was simply refuting Clod's claim that a large portion of a doc's 100K salary goes to pay for malpractice insurance.
...I was with you right up until the point where you said all your other points somehow refuted mine. Yes, malpractice can sometimes instead be a large portion of the practice's income, which directly affects how much money is left for doctors' salaries... I don't really see why that is anything other than a semantic difference. I agree with everything you have said.

48% of all counties in the US have no OB-GYNs at all, because either the hospitals or the doctors or both cannot afford to practice in those areas.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #105
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

For the record, I did not make enough money this week. I'm not going to be thrown out of my apartment or anything, but business has been so bad recently at the shops. Of course, my boss recently bought a new minivan for his family, so he must be doing well.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote