The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #61
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
btw, what's the definition of curmudgeon?
Me.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #62
Richie_uk
Disorderly Disciplinarian

who cares... Don't come to Briton its no longer English... we cant even celebrate our own saints for fear of upsetting minority's ... white middle class English men no longer even have a place here and we are taxed to death!
Richie_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #63
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Yeah, seems so.
btw, what's the definition of curmudgeon?
is it the bastard offspring of a green puppet frog and a common dove?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #64
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_uk View Post
who cares... Don't come to Briton its no longer English... we cant even celebrate our own saints for fear of upsetting minority's ... white middle class English men no longer even have a place here and we are taxed to death!
Sounds like you need to become an expatriot
Old 05-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #65
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_uk View Post
I'm tempted to point out all the spelling and grammatical mistakes you have made in the above post and challenge whether you are in fact a true Englishman after all. But that would be curmudgeonly.

I assume the fact that "we can't celebrate our own saints" means you are Christian? I'm atheist personally, but I accept people who believe in (to me, mythical) deities should have their fun. In fact I even go along with it. That's why I don't roll my eyes when the arts company I work for has more enquiries for St Patrick's Day and St George's Day than I can handle. That's why I smile at all the flags of St George hanging out of windows on April 23rd, and the fact the pub I work in had a live band, special food and prizes.

Funny that I see so much celebration of Christianity when I don't suscribe to the beliefs, and yet you who do think it's in some way forbidden.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #66
Richie_uk
Disorderly Disciplinarian

no im just stupid
Richie_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #67
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
He shouldn't have made a promise everyone in their right mind knew he'd never keep.

He pulled the wool over the voting publics eyes in order to secure another election win, then didn't have a good enough spin doctor to ensure another win after the normal course of events took place.

Brianna, if you wanted this to be another 'just for fun' thread, maybe you should have put it somewhere other than philosophy.

It's a serious subject you know...thinking about stuff but not actually doing anything.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #68
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

It was a fun thread until about post #18
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #69
Aliantha

I'm not feeling the love Ducks. lol
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #70
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Don't come to Briton its no longer English... we cant even celebrate our own saints for fear of upsetting minority's
Umm....has anybody actually prevented you from celebrating 'our' Saint's day? I presume you are referring to St George? Would that be the same St George who wasn't even an English saint?

Or, did you just get that from a BNP leaflet, racist letter to the local rag, or worse, the Daily Mail?

I remember a year or so ago being told by someone that "This country's not our own any more. We're second class citizens in our own country etc etc etc can't even put up christmas decorations in Bradford now in case we upset the pakis" This person really believed it. I had that story told me by more than one person, it began to do the rounds and took on the aura of truth through repetition.

I can however attest to its utter falsity. I shop in Bradford every Christmas and have done for the last 14 years. On no one of those 14 years have I arrived in Bradford to see no christmas decorations. Christmas trees, santa, reindeer, snowflakes candles etc etc.

St George's day last year I was told by someone that we hadn't been allowed to fly the flag of St George. Utter tripe. I saw plenty of them around town, in people's windows, in the Town Hall...... but.. the flags that motorists had taken to attaching to their cars were deemed a potential danger as, were they to detach themselves whilst traveling high speed down a motorway, they could cause a crash if they flew into the window of the car at the rear.

I think there was a spell when the flag of St George took on very negative connotations and councils were a little reluctant to plaster their townhalls in something whchhad become a symbol of overt racism. I don;t think that's the case now because our town hall was plastered in them the other day. But....if, and this is a big if, if a council has been reluctant to put up St George flags, why not direct your ire at the people who gave it such negative connotations: the NF and BNP. Racist bastards hijack national symbols and instead of getting angry with them for doing so, we get angry with the victims of their racism.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #71
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Brianna, if you wanted this to be another 'just for fun' thread, maybe you should have put it somewhere other than philosophy.
Shall I check with you before I start threads? Shall you be my guide? Gee, I'm all a-quiver with anticipation.

Actually, Ali, I had no idea this would beat you out of the bushes, but I should have guessed, as SD said earlier. You've quite the chip there about your beloved Oz and you bring a lot of bitterness to the table; perhaps you should research that and try to find out why.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 05-01-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #72
Aliantha

Well, first of all, I was joking. Couldn't you tell by my nice little smiley face? Second of all, you've been here long enough to know that threads rarely end up where they started, so don't even bother trying to tell me that it's all my fault.

I suppose you didn't notice the discussion about saints day being had by the brits? I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic of the thread either, but you go ahead and just do the same boring thing you usually do. Oh wait, I think I hear your friends coming to back you up.

LOL...you make me laugh. You really do. Thanks.

Oh, and I haven't been hiding. I'm sure UT can tell you that I've been lurking about checking out the same threads I usually do.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #73
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Oh wait, I think I hear your friends coming to back you up.
Seriously, why the persecution complex?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #74
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oh, just leave it, Lookout. Obviously I've struck a nerve!

I'm glad I can provide you some happiness, Ali. You really need all you can scratch up, don't you?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've far more pleasant people to engage. Ta!

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #75
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I could tell where this thread was headed as soon as it was posted!! And hey it isn't Bri's fault...It's the fault of militant assholes that unneccessarily defend their country, when it was in no way being attacked.

It isn't Bri's fault that you cannot have a decent conversation on this board about your own country, or the difference between two different countries.

She didn't tell people to troll. She didn't tell people to take offense immediately either.

You can't blame her for asking an easy question and getting fucked up answers. Think about it...This topic should have been easy to discuss. Not on the cellar!!! And that's not her fault. The nature of all cellarites has nothing to do with her.

Simple question right? Naaah. Not here. Someone always has to be a cock....but hey that's the cellar right?

I am going to go on a mission. I am going to go find the most ridiculous arguement on the cellar that sprang from something that should have been incredibly easy to talk about. (hey sometimes I am the perp too)