The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Hey Pagans, seen this yet?

I just ran across this and was curious if you guys had seen anything about it yet.

From the Chief Blogging Officer

"To recap and retreat to McDonald's for a very early breakfast before the crosses burst into flames on my front lawn: those 12 Asatru websites Time magazine found on Yahoo in 1996 have grown to 206,000 mentions as reported by google today. Run another google search for Asatru Nazi, and the intersection of the two terms yields nearly a thousand page references. Granted, many are arguing that Odinism and Asatru bear no relationship to Nazi racism, but methinks that's a whole lotta ladies protesting way too much. Now search once more for +"Anglo-Celtic" +(racism | racist) and you'll get 15,400 hits."
Old 02-09-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

Not a big shock really. If you're into something as illogical as white supremecy anything that might vaguely support your cause is going to be grabbed at.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Schrodinger's Cat
Macavity

Google on:

"racism" plus "democrat" 281,000 hits

"racism" plus "scientists" 366,000 hits

"racism" plus "republican" 525,000 hits

You were saying?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
jaguar
whig

"racism" + "cellar" = 16100
Old 02-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
glatt

Jaguars love racism (21,500) but not as much as a wolf (216,000)
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I wasn't saying anything. I picked what I thought the salient paragraph relating to my title was and then asked the pagans if they had heard about it.

I'm not pagan, I'm not qualified to decide if they should be worried that someone is conscripting their religion into a symbol of hate...
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I'm not pagan, I'm not qualified to decide if they should be worried that someone is conscripting their religion into a symbol of hate...
Pagans are far too disorganized to organize and notice this, and besides, it will never fly for them. Although Southern rednecks are historically of Scots-Irish descent, they're usually far too entrenched in the Born-Again culture to make this a go. I agree with the article author about the "Led Zep" appeal--I think Led Zeppelin should be worried--not us.

Makes me think of VIKING KITTENS!!! (but, that's just me
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There's actually a lot of time spent (wasted) in the Asatruar community arguing over whether or not it is inherently racist to be volkish.

Quite a few of the Asatruar go to great lengths to separate themselves from any of the White Odinist organizations that ARE racist that use Germanic Pagan symbology. If you search around and look at the charters or statements of belief you'll see a lot of entries devoted to stating that racism is not tolerated, etc, etc. That being said, I heard a rumor about a black Asatruar, but I don't know if it's true.

Many (can I go so far as to say most?) Odinist pagan groups formed in prisons are a cover for Aryan Brotherhood activities. I'm not talking out of my hat on this one, I know a couple pagan prison guards. There are genuine pagans in prisons, but most of them are pretty quiet about it, as standing out often means that you get stood on.

There are a lot of sites that are actually White Pride sites (not that there's anything wrong with that) that are sufficiently subtle that less critical-minded folks miss that entirely. The Klan/AN members to watch out for are not the ones in the Hoods, as the saying goes.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
sigynodinsson
Kinda New Member

Odinist are NOT A.B cover ups!

I am an Odinist and my husband also. And my husband is in prison. I was raised a Catholic. And yes there is the A.B in prison. But most A.B truly are Pagans and the A.B is not natzi's or white surpremasist. Most law inforcement labeled A.B STG. They are white seperatist, and that is different. They are simply proud of their heritage and ancestors. They do not hate anyone. There is nothing wrong with that!! But there is a huge difference between white supremasist and white seperatist. A lot of pagan symbols such as the Othala Rune have been mistaken for hate symbols but when and if one knows thier history well enough dating back before Hitler knows these are actually symbols of peace. In society today a lot of people are confused because Hitler took a lot of tradional Pagan beliefs and twised them around. No one seems to get educated about Paganism before world war 2. Any A.B I have ever known is not ashamed of who they are and what they believe in there for they don't need "cover ups" to hide behind what they really believe in. Most A.B are strong, solid, and true individuals if they stay true to their code!!! I personaly am not in A.B but I am an Odonist. I think Hitler was a sick & twisted individual and I have no respect for him at all. So if A.B supposedly looked up to Hitler would they have disgust for Hitler as so many of them do? Odinist have been labeled STG simply so prison officials can harass them and abuse their power! Thus why many lawsuits are pending left & right!
sigynodinsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigynodinsson
Most A.B are strong, solid, and true individuals if they stay true to their code!!!
Ok. What's the code?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote