The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Cheap small business ideas

So once again I find myself without a job and once again it had nothing to do with my performance in the job. I feel that this is the nature of IT work. You work someplace for a year to three years, then you're gone and you do it again and again.

This is how it's been for the last 20 years with the exception of how bad it got when the dot com bubble burst and I found myself delivering pizza, bartending, and doing anything else I could do to survive.

There are other things about IT that I just hate too. For instance the fact that you have to spend thousands of dollars to acquire and update certifications every couple of years. In virtually every other kind of work, you learn how to do it once, and that's what you do for your whole career.

The economy is in the crapper again and there aren't many IT jobs. The few that there are either don't pay well or there are thousands of people applying for them.

I've discussed small business ideas before that don't require a lot of startup money but which make pretty good money. I was ridiculed for my idea to open a hot dog cart like my uncle Manny, even though dog carts in a decent area make pretty damn good money.

That idea won't work very well in California anymore since a year and a half ago, laws were made that make it extremely difficult and impractical to run a dog cart. For instance you have to grill dogs rather than steam them, and you have to follow the same rule for restaurants that you have a sink with 3 compartments to wash/sanitize/rinse your utensils, not that a dog cart uses any other than tongs. Then you've got to have a completely separate sink to wash your hands. You can't use the same sink.

This makes the carts much heavier and more expensive. Larger restaurants push for these rules to put cart vendors out of business.

I suppose you could get a catering truck and work it that way, but you'll have to spend about 4 or 5 times the money and I don't really have $60k sitting around.

You could also setup a booth using a customized EZ-UP canopy with a small rolling sink etc. like this electric one...

or this propane one

I think with this sort of a setup, you'd want to do more of a gourmet sausage business at farmer's markets and things like that than a regular hot dog business.

The other option is to do a Kettle Corn business in the same kind of setup. Your materials are cheaper, and the whole business would cost under $10k.

I love kettle corn myself and I've been to a lot of events where people sell it and they always seem busy.

Do you guys have any other ideas for a small business that requires little start-up but which could make enough money to support a family?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Math / Science tutoring?

$40/hr is the going rate, if you can get 4 hours of work 6 days a week (4pm to 8pm daily, 10-2 on Saturday), the math looks decent.

4x6x40 = $960/wk x 50 weeks = 48k/yr

It's not coke rich, but it'll do.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
Math / Science tutoring?

$40/hr is the going rate, if you can get 4 hours of work 6 days a week (4pm to 8pm daily, 10-2 on Saturday), the math looks decent.

4x6x40 = $960/wk x 50 weeks = 48k/yr

It's not coke rich, but it'll do.
yes, Kaplan is hiring.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One of my cow orkers got a gig teaching Math at one of those As-Seen-On-TV crap tech schools.

It was very frustrating, because those people who are there because they saw an ad for how to be a nursing assistant on TV are not the sharpest pencils in the box.

But she made decent money.

Didn't last more than one semester, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Do you have a hobby which you are expert at that others would like to learn?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
kerosene
Touring the facilities

You could do vending machines.

Or start a diaper delivery service.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Do you have a hobby which you are expert at that others would like to learn?
Computer networking has always been my job and my hobby. I just don't find any joy in it anymore.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I doubt it's for you but my company is hiring for drivers.

A month of school, a minor investment for tuition (free if you're into indentured servitude) and two months' mentoring puts you into a shiny truck that will pay halfway decently, give you a job no matter where you live or how bad the economy gets and allow you your self-respect.

It's hell on families though.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Is prostitution not an option? You don't really have to invest much into the business and so long as you don't have a pimp, it's all profit.
The only down-side is lack of benefits or retirement plan.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Is prostitution not an option?
Out here, we call that "Consulting".
Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
Out here, we call that "Consulting".
I can picture someone walking up to a car and asking, "Hey baby, wanna consult the shit out of me?".
Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Pie
Gone and done

You've never worked for Ernst & Young, I see.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Radar, what happened with your home-schooling supplies business?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Cloud

make crafts using papier mache. $10 start up costs + discarded paper.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My sis in law once had an idea to snag one of those tiny old photo-mat booths and make it a reallllly quick morning drive-thru coffee station.

Probably can't find any of those around anymore and that was before there was a Tim Horton Hears a Who on every block.