The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #61
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

Theme from Big Bang Theory by The Barenaked Ladies

Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #62
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar View Post
There is nothing...and I mean nothing like getting an idea in your head, mulling it over for weeks, deciding whether or not to incorporate it into your system of thought and belief, and finally emerging to the world with what you think is a solid, well thought out way of being...and expressing yourself here to be picked apart, insulted, belittled, and generally trashed.

No, nothing in this whole world like it.

And I wouldn't want it any other way.
The trial by fire will either strengthen your beliefs or destroy them, but you will not leave here (or stay here) unchanged.

And that is why I love the Cellar.
That there is Hall of Fame material.

And this part should go into the tagline thread -
The Cellar: you will not leave here (or stay here) unchanged.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #63
glatt

Quote:
We can only take what we see now and the processes we see occuring now and try to extrapolate that back (which isn't accurate either, because things NEVER stay the same).
I know what you are trying to say, and agree to a point, but with the Hubble telescope and with better and better telescopes, we can see farther and farther into the distance. Since light takes time to travel, the farther into the distance we can see, the farther into the past we are looking.

Quote:
However, I will say this: If a person professes to be a Christian, then they CANNOT believe that Evolution is true, because it is 180 degrees of the Bible. As with many other things, there are times when you have to pick one side or the other. This is one issue that you can't believe in both.
According to your definition of the word "Christian." According to their definition, they might be just fine.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #64
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I know what you are trying to say, and agree to a point, but with the Hubble telescope and with better and better telescopes, we can see farther and farther into the distance. Since light takes time to travel, the farther into the distance we can see, the farther into the past we are looking.
The speed of light is not constant. A Light year is a measure of distance based on a constant, not time.

Quote:
According to your definition of the word "Christian." According to their definition, they might be just fine.
Well, I can agree with that. I would say for purposes of this discussion, that my definition of Christian is one that believes that the Bible is true and is the word of God, and that Jesus is the ultimate blood sacrifice for every person's sin. (Whereas a Jewish person doesn't necessarily follow the last part, they generally agree on the first part.)

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #65
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Some evolutionists clearly take that stance, but that's not evolutionary theory.
No, the amino acids and lots of time part is.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #66
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
life just happened, and then more stuff happened, and the life got more complex and then more complex until finally, there were people. Time is the hero of the story.

But they can't prove it
Evolution is a very well documented theory (scientific theory, not everyday use of theory) and has much evidence to back it up with. It isn't just a shot in the dark, there are reasons for theory.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
However, I will say this: If a person professes to be a Christian, then they CANNOT believe that Evolution is true, because it is 180 degrees of the Bible. As with many other things, there are times when you have to pick one side or the other. This is one issue that you can't believe in both.
The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament is God's covenant with the Jews. The failure of that covenant led to the New Testament, God's covenant with Christians, which is ongoing. It's quite easy, and I think reasonable, to be a Christian and disregard the Old Testament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I've wondered about that. The farther we can see, the more we see of the first ejecta from the "Big Bang", but when we do it'll be billions of years old. Do they think it will be unchanged it that interim? Hey, it could have grown a beard by now.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #68
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
And that is why I love the Cellar.
Wow, long time no post! Welcome back! Start a thread to update us on your doings!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #69
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament is God's covenant with the Jews. The failure of that covenant led to the New Testament, God's covenant with Christians, which is ongoing. It's quite easy, and I think reasonable, to be a Christian and disregard the Old Testament.
**cuddle Bruce**

I disagree. If you take the Old Testament out of the equation, there is no need for salvation through the cross, and Jesus' sacrifice is meaningless. The Old Testament is a history of how it got to that point. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Or something like that.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #70
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Wow, long time no post! Welcome back! Start a thread to update us on your doings!
**tickle Wolf**

I will, some time today.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #71
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Evolution is a very well documented theory (scientific theory, not everyday use of theory) and has much evidence to back it up with. It isn't just a shot in the dark, there are reasons for theory.
I disagree, and there are alot of reasons (scientific ones), but I don't have the time or energy to go into it (again).

The bottom line is, there is nothing that proves it per the scientific method, and therefore it can't be proven. Just like Creationism.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #72
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
**cuddle Bruce**

I disagree. If you take the Old Testament out of the equation, there is no need for salvation through the cross, and Jesus' sacrifice is meaningless. The Old Testament is a history of how it got to that point. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Or something like that.
The Old Testament is a history of how it got to that point, but Jesus' sacrifice canceled the Old Testament. Jesus said forget that eye for an eye shit, and forget the ten commandments, now there is one commandment, love thy neighbor as thy self. New covenant, new deal, new rules, making the Old Testament simply a Jewish history book.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #73
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I am one of those who believe in evolution, God, and Jesus.

The Bible is not one book. It is a collection of books covering a long time period. I don't have any problem with some of the older stuff being less reliable. Not only is it older, but it has been edited and modified (sometimes more than once). I also don't have problems with the "inconsistencies" people point out in the bible -- Mrs. dar and I often have different recollections of things that occurred just a couple of years ago.

I find the Bible more useful and more meaningful, not less, for knowing that it is not a literal history.

BTW, when I went back to get my CS degree, I went to Seattle Pacific U. -- a Methodist college. You were required to take a bible course to graduate. I took the old testament course. And "useful for instruction" but "not a literal history" is how they teach it.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #74
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The Old Testament is fascinating when read as an ancient chronicle. We'd know so much less about ancient Mesopotamia without it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #75
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
I disagree, and there are alot of reasons (scientific ones), but I don't have the time or energy to go into it (again).

The bottom line is, there is nothing that proves it per the scientific method, and therefore it can't be proven. Just like Creationism.
The scientific method disproves challenges. Evolution is one of the most challenged theories, and it has withstood all challenges. It is science.

Creationism is an assertion that makes no testable predictions, and therefore cannot be challenged. Particular stories from the Bible can be disproven, such as Noah's Ark, but when there is magic involved a believer can always invoke it. It is not science.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote