The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #16
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

How much of this exploitation can you document? You could sue your way to retirement. Seriously.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

At the very least it could draw a little official scrutiny his way. Very easy for small-scale employers to just slip by unnoticed most of the time.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
The owner wants to refurbish the apartment that the new manager will live in before he hires anyone, and 3 M guy has been given the job.
Did you/ will you apply for the job ?

Might be an opportunity to straighten out the operation and the owner,
plus a place to live and a salary, plus a whole new set of worries.
The changes might even seem like a vacation
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
You could sue your way to retirement.
All you need is a jury who feels the same sense of entitlement on your behalf that you do!

"And then... as penance... he asked me to use the valuable time I get paid to sit on my ass watching the road, to create a system where we could stop renting to whores and junkies." *shocked gasps*
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Did you/ will you apply for the job ?

Might be an opportunity to straighten out the operation and the owner,
plus a place to live and a salary, plus a whole new set of worries.
The changes might even seem like a vacation
3M guy has been given the job of fixing things up. He would like to be manager, but everyone, including the owner, considers this to be a joke. 3M guy would chase guests away in droves.

I don't want the manager job for many reasons. I'd have to live in that damn apartment on busy Main Street/Highway 160 and listen to the traffic noise and breathe in gas fumes 24/7. For someone like me it would be as if I'd entered one of Dante's circles of hell.

Plus, I would be supervising 5 to 7 other employees, depending on the time of year. Those poor suckers. We'd all make one anothers lives hell.

Plus, I seriously doubt my ability to do all the accounting the manager is expected to do - responsibility for the payroll, paying state and local taxes, etc., etc. I don't know if you've ever noticed all the mistakes I make in my posts here or how off the wall my comments can be, but my brain is deeply scattered. The meds I take help a little, but they are far from a cure.

Which brings me to my most important reason for not wanting that job - no medical benefits. Right now I am on Medicare/Medicaid which covers my extremely high prescriptions costs - about $600 if paid out of pocket every month. So, I couldn't afford to work there full time even if I wanted to.

Plus, plus, plus.

And I am content to worship the owner from afar.

@ UT - Truth be told, I actually appreciate having a little project to do to pass the time, and if I was indeed working on a "system where we could stop renting to whores and junkies." *shocked gasps*," I'd be much more gung ho about it. I would just as soon screen out undesirables as anyone else. The problem is that the Bates is not computerized. Its so backward that we don't even have a cash register. The computer (which is placed way down on the opposite side of the room from the check in counter), is used for e-mail only. My coworker is afraid of it. Even Carmen disliked it and used it as seldom as possible. I am considered the staff computer expert because I pass a lot of the time messing around on the Internet. What a joke!

So, it is highly unlikely that anyone else on the staff is going to walk down to the computer and check out each guest before registering them - no matter how user friendly I make my little data base. I once asked the owner if we could get a computerized booking system and he laughed at me. "Can you imagine [coworker] using that?" he asked. Good point.

Last edited by SamIam; 01-18-2012 at 10:14 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote