The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-29-2001, 06:19 PM   #91
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
The riot was definitely a big thing. I was only 10 or 11 at the time, so I remember very little of the specifics (and will go read up on them now), but they definitely could have weathered that had they continued to produce quality music.
Well, certainly. The 2 "Use Your Illusion" albums didn't come out until 3 months after the riots. But "The Spaghetti Incident?" Ummm...no.

Quote:
I think the biggest problem was the departure of Izzy Stradlin.
Definitely a blow. Gilby Clarke wasn't bad though. I think they could have dealt with his departure...but when all you have left is Axl...that's a whole new band.

Quote:
I really think this all started though with Nirvana and grunge music in general. GN'R was at the top of the world and saw it being taken from them. Shit, Metallica wasn't even as big as GN'R in '91. Axl realized they were in for a big fall and hit the bottom.
I dunno, dham. Metallica was about as huge as GnR that late summer and fall...the Black album came out a month before the "Use Your Illusion" albums.

I wonder how much of a factor drugs were in his downfall...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 10:01 AM   #92
dave

Gilby Clarke wasn't bad, but he wasn't writing great songs either.

The Spaghetti Incident is still a joke between my friends and I.

As far as the timing and whatnot... you're right, Metallica was pretty big, but they weren't a household name... Guns N' Roses was infamous *and* famous... everyone knew who they were. Axl is a bit of a prima donna and I think that had a good bit to do with it. Like I said, I think he was just absolutely astounded that people were moving away from GN'R to Nirvana/grunge. Got really pissed off and fell down.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:46 PM   #93
elSicomoro

Rush--Counterparts: A return to a more "rocking" version of Rush. Overall, a good CD.

Depeche Mode--The Singles 86>98: 21 great songs from the Black Celebration album forward. God I love Mode!
Old 12-03-2001, 08:06 AM   #94
dave

Rammstein - Sehnsucht

good shit. One version even has a cover of "Stripped" - awww yeah.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:28 AM   #95
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Rammstein - Sehnsucht

good shit. One version even has a cover of "Stripped" - awww yeah.
There was a bit of debate over their version of "Stripped" when the "For the Masses" tribute album came out. At the time it came out, I wouldn't touch the CD for I found it to be vile...but I did laugh over "Stripped." Although I have mellowed towards the CD, I still think their version is hilarious. Quite a few hardcore DM fans freaked over it. Of course, quite a few hardcore DM fans are electronic music puristic foo-foos from Europe.

Sycamore--President, Erasure Anti-fan Club
Old 12-03-2001, 08:32 AM   #96
dave

Their cover rules. Face it

Also... Trent was supposed to do a version of "Personal Jesus" for the tribute album... I bet that would have made it allllllll better
Old 12-03-2001, 09:00 AM   #97
elSicomoro

I don't think Trent could have saved that record. It DID have some great covers (The Cure doing "World in My Eyes," The Pumpkins doing "NLMDA," Gus Gus doing "Mounument"), but in the end, it was just another tribute album...although not as bad as "Encomium."
Old 12-03-2001, 09:18 AM   #98
dave

Hehe.

Well. I woulda bought it just for Trent. As it is, I listened to the tracks, really only dug Rammstein's "Stripped" and left it at that. But just imagine a Nine Inch Nails "Personal Jesus"... it woulda ruled
Old 12-09-2001, 02:31 AM   #99
elSicomoro

because I like music...that's why!

Nitzer Ebb--Ebbhead and Big Hit: It's a shame that Bon Harris and Doug McCarthy lost it after 1995. I'm also ashamed that I wasn't a fan of this band while they were big (1986-1996). For some real fun listening, check out That Total Age.

The Reverend Horton Heat--Liquor in the Front: Produced by Al Jourgensen (of Ministry). The best fucking Reverend album you can buy. I have seen this guy in concert 7 times...and he just puts on a phenomenal show!
Old 12-09-2001, 02:37 AM   #100
dave

Killing In The Name Of - You know who this is.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:04 PM   #101
matt
At last! A dead star!

Hi, I'm new.

I thought it was Marilyn Manson that was supposed to do the "Personal Jesus" cover on the DM tribute album...

*shrugs*

Oh, and how do I get into this Erasure anti-fan club?

I personally don't mind their music much, but I hate it when my friends think Depeche Mode sucks because of "Just Can't Get Enough". Ugh.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 03:51 PM   #102
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by mmesker
Hi, I'm new.

I thought it was Marilyn Manson that was supposed to do the "Personal Jesus" cover on the DM tribute album...

*shrugs*
Welcome!

There were actually a lot of bands that wanted on that DM tribute album, but couldn't do it for one reason or another. The most prominent one that comes to mind is the Foo Fighters.

Speaking of Brian Warner, have you heard his cover of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" yet?

Quote:
Oh, and how do I get into this Erasure anti-fan club?
*laughs* I don't really run it anymore. Its heyday was in 1998, after the release of "Cowboy." At one time, I actually made and sent membership certificates.

Having met so many people through DM fansites, chat rooms, etc. from 1997-99, there are quite a few DM fans that also adore Erasure. Of course, the fact that Vince Clarke was a founding member of DM doesn't hurt either. When I started the EAFC, a lot of people thought it was funny...people could appreciate the humor. But the die-hard Erasure fans and electro-music purists were howling over it...they were actually offended. Heh...

Quote:
I personally don't mind their music much, but I hate it when my friends think Depeche Mode sucks because of "Just Can't Get Enough". Ugh.
Remember when they used that song in the Gap commercials last year? A lot of fans were livid over it. And the band's response: The song was written by a former member of the group. It kept DM from looking like "sellouts."

I don't mind "Just Can't Get Enough," but as a whole, it was on their first record, which was primarily written by Vince Clarke. And quite frankly, "Speak & Spell" is their worst record.

At the same time, I won't take away from Vince Clarke. He IS a good songwriter...an innovator in the electronic music field. Some of his stuff with Erasure is alright, and I liked Yaz(oo). But he is just beating that shit into the ground now.

Incidentally, for a good laugh, check out his mid-80s project, The Assembly. They released one single on Mute UK--"Never Never."
Old 12-09-2001, 05:31 PM   #103
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I don't mind "Just Can't Get Enough," but as a whole, it was on their first record, which was primarily written by Vince Clarke. And quite frankly, "Speak & Spell" is their worst record.
Agreed. I think someone else mentioned this earlier, but they really didn't start making anything worthwhile until "Construction Time Again", and nothing amazing until "Black Celebration".

I'll hafta track down that "Tainted Love" cover. Sounds interesting. Have you heard his cover of Bowie's "Golden Years"?
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 07:06 PM   #104
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by mmesker
Agreed. I think someone else mentioned this earlier, but they really didn't start making anything worthwhile until "Construction Time Again", and nothing amazing until "Black Celebration".
I wouldn't necessarily say that. CTA is a great album, as is "Some Great Reward." DM have always been ahead of their time. The only DM albums that I don't think are absolutely great are "Speak & Spell," "A Broken Frame," and "Ultra." But, there are good excuses for those 3--"S&S" was mostly Vince, plus it was their first album. "A Broken Frame" was thrown together quickly after Vince's departure, and was Martin Gore's first real attempt at songwriting. And part of "Ultra" was recorded while Dave Gahan was still a smack daddy.

A lot of folks have called "Exciter" a follow-up of sorts to "Black Celebration." Both are fantastic albums, although it took me a while to warm up to "Exciter." In fact, the 3rd single from "Exciter," "Freelove," finally comes out here in the States on Tuesday (it's been out in the UK for a month now). And $10 says I'm going to go over to Tower Records on Roosevelt Blvd. in NE Philadelphia on Tuesday, and the stupid clerk is going to go, "Who?" "What?" "Ummm...I don't know." At least when I go to the one on South Street, the clerks know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Quote:
I'll hafta track down that "Tainted Love" cover. Sounds interesting. Have you heard his cover of Bowie's "Golden Years"?
No...I didn't know he had even covered a Bowie song. Interesting...
Old 12-14-2001, 01:09 AM   #105
elSicomoro

Depeche Mode--The Singles: 81>85 (the original 1985 British version): I've never quite understood why there are different versions of certain records, depending on what continent you reside. In the States, this album was released as essentially two albums--People Are People and Catching Up With Depeche Mode. Thankfully, DM decided to re-master the album, and it was released in its proper form here in the States 3 years ago. I happened to pick up an import copy of the original in a Blockbuster Music one night--rather cheap too (less than $20). Some of the early singles are quirky, but many of them will easily jog the memory of a 80s music fanatic.

Although DM are from the suburbs of London, their main fan base has been rooted here in the States since the mid-80s. They have never been overly liked by the British press. As examples:

When referring to the single "Love, In Itself," a writer from the magazine Sounds said: "Another big hit, and nothing short of driving a rusty meathook through David Gahan's malformed cranium will prevent it." Ouch!

When referring to the single "Get the Balance Right," a writer from the magazine Time Out said: "I have often wondered why God bothered with Depeche Mode."

Incidentally, these quotes are in the liner notes of the CD.