The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 11-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #166
regular.joe
Старый сержант

This thread keeps coming up....today will make two days shy of 20 years. Myself, I'm an AAer. I love the place, saved my life. Good on everyone in the thread, however you are going about it. It can be a hard thing, I know.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #167
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
How do you know when it's a problem and when you're mostly just a social drinker?
Irish heritage? I still don't have an answer for that. My social drinking often ended up in binging and vomiting. I just couldn't be happy with a light buzz. My relax at the end of the day scotch just got taller and taller... My little inside voice still says I could learn to drink sensibly and my usual attitude is to find middle way but with booze there is too much to lose. As a Dad, I don't want my girls to see me as a stupid drunk or ending up with a stupid drunk. In part, this is a gift to my descendents. But mostly, I have a good life and don't want to screw it up. Calorie reduction is something I haven't thought about much, maybe I should call it that and not cop to a serious flaw between my ears.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #168
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
This thread keeps coming up....today will make two days shy of 20 years. Myself, I'm an AAer. I love the place, saved my life. Good on everyone in the thread, however you are going about it. It can be a hard thing, I know.
Good for you Joe!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #169
SamIam

Way to go, busterb! And it really does get easier if you can just make it through the first 90 days or so.

I've got about 2 1/2 years now. I go to AA a couple of times a week, but I'm with Bri. I tend to disagree with some of the stuff that gets said there. Plus, my Mom would drive me to drink, too. She has now passed on to a (hopefully) better place. She sure hated THIS life, though, and she made sure everyone around her knew it. Pass the Jim Beam, Mom.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #170
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

congrats regular joe! And busterb!!

Ali - an alcoholic lays awake at night wondering if they're an alcoholic.

Good for you Grif, for making it and for doing it the way that works for YOU.

I go to AA once/twice a week. Otherwise I get too pissed off at them and it gives me an excuse to drink. Not that I need one. I drink because I'm an alcoholic: I need no "excuse" no "reason" no "but I was molested at age 5..." bullshit story. those are all excuses. I need reality checks a lot.

alcohol is pure poison to me. It's no longer any fun at all to drink - it is only a blackout and then - 7-14 days of HELL
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #171
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Sam = 'about 2 1/2 years'
Me = 2 years, 5 months, 9 days

Am I SamIam?
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #172
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

drinking.

buzzed.

Please take my keys.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #173
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Good for you Joe!
Congratulating a drunk like myself for not drinking is like congratulating a cowboy with hemorrhoids for not riding his horse. I understand the sentiment though and commend anyone in my shoes for their efforts.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #174
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I disagree with you there, Joe.

Sure, you know that in the big picture you're better off not drinking, but for twenty years you have successfully resisted that sneaky little voice whispering .. go on .. just one ... a little one won't hurt ... etc.

You know that voice is bullshit, but it will sneak in at any moment of weakness. If you have seriously gone twenty years without a slip, you are bloody awesome.

No arguing.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #175
busterb
NSABFD

Old 12-07-2011, 03:51 AM   #176
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Yay, Buster!!! Well done

My Mum is an alcoholic and so is my brother.

I know if I want Mum to pick the boys up, I have to call her at lunchtime so she doesnt get stuck into it.

My brother helped me drive up here (16 hours with 2 kids, 2 dogs, a cat and a bird - leaving at 9pm), but he could only drive for a few hours because he *had* to drink.

We fight about it a lot, he works in a job which means he has to be 0.00 alcohol and drugs and is tested regularly. This is for 28 days in a row, he has no issues during this time, but as soon as he is home he is drop down drunk. I dont know why my sister in law puts up with it.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #177
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Alcoholism is a strange and frustrating disease.

Especially to those of us that have it.

I do know how maddening we can be - not only am I one myself, I deal with lots of them, too, in various stages of illness/recovery. Sometimes I just want to shake them and tell them to WAKE UP! and I am one of the tribe. I know - soooooooooo frustrating.

sorry to all of you who have to deal with us. My hope is that we do, indeed, WAKE up and resist that seductive voice that Zengum does such a good impression of!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #178
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
that seductive voice that Zengum does such a good impression of!
Hmmmm.... this is giving me ideas ....
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #179
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

First day today.
My word I feel grim.

I'm hoping that I'm just working through the worst of the hangover from last night and will soon start feeling better.
And that I will feel better every single day from now on.

No more morning retching which I have to disguise as a cough.
No more worrying about being too close to people in case they can smell drink on me from the night before.
No more worrying in the morning because I can't find the right amount of empty cans in my room so maybe I left one downstairs or in the computer room.

Oh and hoping to feel my gunt shrink, as opposed to feeling it grow a little every week.

Hello to my fellow travellers.
I might come here quite a bit to start with.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #180
Griff
still says videotape

If it helps to be heard, have at. For me putting my intention out there helps me stay focused. Feel free to bounce things off us, its all the same price... or we can just shut up and listen.