The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-11-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Tacky Sales Rep Behavior

Post your funny and/or horrifying examples of bad behavior on the part of salesdroids.

From my voice mail this morning, about 8:15AM (names changed to protect the innocent):

"Hi, Steve, this is Joe Blow with Uranus-Hertz*. You should check out our web site at uranus-hertz.com. I'm going to call you back around 9:15 to schedule an appointment with one of our sales engineers to come out and talk with you."

Can we be just a little more pushy and arrogant?

Oh, and can we actually mention what kind of products we sell? Sure, I could go to the web page and find out, but why should I?

* This is from a Dilbert strip where they're trying to come up with a new name for the company, and it's been suggested that they evoke a hi-tech aura by combining terms from astronomy and physics. I do not know if there is a web site at this addres, and I take no responsibility for what's there if you decide to find out.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
dave

On the rare occasion a telemarketer gets to the end of their pitch with me on the other end of the line, I really love it when they go, "So how do you want to pay? Credit card or check by phone?"

Not at all, thankyouverymuch.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:13 AM   #3
Torrere
a real smartass

sales engineer?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

Re: Tacky Sales Rep Behavior

[quote]Originally posted by SteveDallas
[b]Post your funny and/or horrifying examples of bad behavior on the part of salesdroids.

"Hi, can I spea..."

"No" ::click::
Old 11-19-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

would my nude greeting of those tacky religion sales droids (jehova's witlesses) constitute tackiness on my part for doing it or their part for still trying to make the sale? i am a male, and while not extremely displeasing to the eye, they were males too, so i would think that withstanding an outright attack like that would be beyond their call of duty. (i just wanted to scare them off)
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

All I can say is, "Why don't you try it and find out?"

Yep, Torrere, "sales engineer." hahahaha.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
SouthOfNoNorth
Colloquialist

the best one that i've had in a while:

phone rings, i pick it up. the guy on the other end has such a poor grasp of the english language and such a thick accent that i have no idea what he's talking about. at first i thought it was a wrong number, and then through either his inflection or a mangled bit of english that made it through i realized that he was trying to sell me something. i stayed on the line for a bit out of amusement. then i said "buddy, i don't even know what the fuck you're saying to me". the place must have either been bad off in terms of their recruitment or they outsourced their telemarketing to india. btw, the my boss is from new delhi and he mentioned the other day that telemarketing is big business there now. they provide their telemarketers with local info for the people they call such as weather and sports team scores so that they can converse jovially with you.....
Old 11-19-2003, 10:59 AM   #8
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

its about damn time something that nobody wants to do gets outsourced. let 'em have the crappy jobs i say!
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

A few weeks ago the phone rang on a Saturday morning, waking my wife and I. I answered, and it was a woman from Qwest, our local phone service provider.

She said something along the lines of "Hi! This is perky-sales-woman from Qwest, and we're giving you three FREE! months of our new Worthless Phone-related Service! After three months, you can cancel, or continue using the service, and have it billed to your monthly statement! I just need to give you to select a four-digit PIN to access the service."

"Not interested," I replied, which is less creative than I usually get with telemarketers, but I was groggy and didn't want to get into anything.

"But sir! It's absolutely free! So why don't you go ahead and give me a four-digit..."

"You know," I interrupted, "We don't even own a telephone, so I can't use this fancy new service... it's no good to me."

Silence for a moment or two.

"You... don't own a telephone?" she asked in a confused tone.

"Nope. Sorry."

"Well... have a ... good day then, sir." Click. My wife laughed for about ten minutes.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:07 PM   #10
perth
Strong Silent Type

this happened a while ago, shortly after Case and I got married. Phone rings, I answer.

Me: "Hello?"
Bitch: "May I speak with Casey (her maiden name, mispronounced - badly)?" (No "hi", and her tone was curt).
Me: "Let me see, can I get your name?"
Bitch: "This is Diane." (Hmmm, Casey doesn't know anyone by that name, as far as I know)
Me: "Okay, Diane, who are you with?"
Bitch: "This is a courtesy call" (Oh, okay)
Me: "I'm not going to put her on the line until I know who you're with"
Bitch: "Well it really isn't any of your business" (Oh, really?)
Me: "Well, I am her husband, and you're a telemarketer, so I really have the upper hand here. You'll tell me who you're with or you won't be talking to her."
Bitch: "I didn't know you were her husband and its none of your concern who I'm with and why I want to talk to her"
Me: "Do you know you suck at your job? Don't call this number again." (Yay me! The wife is proud)

Next night, the phone rings...

Bitch: "May I speak with Casey (her maiden name, mispronounced - badly - again)?"
Bitch: "This is Diane."
Me: "Diane you called here last night and I told you not to call this number again."
Bitch "No I didn't I've never spoken to you before!"
Me: "Yes you did. I told you you sucked at your job, remember?"

Click. Never heard from my best friend Diane again.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:53 PM   #11
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Originally posted by perth

HaHaHaHaHa...Agh.... (Scope tries to breathe after splitting his side..)
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:15 PM   #12
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
this happened a while ago, shortly after Case and I got married. Phone rings, I answer.

Bitch: "May I speak with Casey (her maiden name, mispronounced - badly)?" (No "hi", and her tone was curt).
Bitch: "This is Diane." (Hmmm, Casey doesn't know anyone by that name, as far as I know)
Me: "Okay, Diane, who are you with?"
Bitch: "This is a courtesy call" (Oh, okay)
Me: "I'm not going to put her on the line until I know who you're with"
Bitch: "Well it really isn't any of your business" (Oh, really?)
Me: "Well, I am her husband, and you're a telemarketer, so I really have the upper hand here. You'll tell me who you're with or you won't be talking to her."
Bitch: "I didn't know you were her husband and its none of your concern who I'm with and why I want to talk to her"
Me: "Do you know you suck at your job? Don't call this number again." (Yay me! The wife is proud)

Next night, the phone rings...

Bitch: "May I speak with Casey (her maiden name, mispronounced - badly - again)?"
Bitch: "This is Diane."
Me: "Diane you called here last night and I told you not to call this number again."
Bitch "No I didn't I've never spoken to you before!"

That one had both me and the BF laughing while we were reading... LOL
Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Whenever I get a sales call (usually for siding or windows), I like to listen intently, getting more and more excited every time I respond, gushing about how much I need their products, asking for lots and lots of intimate details, inquiring as to how soon they can do the installation, what colors do they have to select from, and all that.

Then, right as they getting ready to schedule an appointment with their on-site sales person, I say "Oh...by the way, is it going to be a problem getting financing?"

"Why, no sir, we have a terrific finance plan!"

"That's great! Because I just filed bankruptcy last week, and I wasn't at all sure how to pay for this."

That usually ends things nicely.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:28 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One of my friend's favorite tactics (and this goes back a good many years) was to figure out some way to make it clear that the product was in no way needed in your life. If this could be expressed in a way to screw with the telemarketer's head, all the better.

"Hi, this is Edie from Time-Life books ... we'd like to send your the introductory volume from our new series "The Fascination with Lint" absolutely free ..."

"Goddamit, I've just gone BLIND!! How dare you be so insensitive ... etc."

He was a master of this stuff.

My own efforts are somewhat more subtle. Prior to the PA Do Not Call list going into effect, I stopped telemarketers cold by interrupting their sales pitch with one of my own ... asking for their name address and billing information, since THEY contacted MY consulting business, and this was billable time for me ... at a rate of $100/hr, minimum three hours. I usually didn't make it through the terms and conditions before they were hanging up.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #15
blue
Operations Operative

When I was a kid, my step dad (who rarely drank) told me when I answered the door to the Jehovahs, to just say "My Dad was out drinking all night and if I have to wake him up, boy is he gonna be pissed"
blue is offline   Reply With Quote