The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #16
glatt

I also notice they don't have an entry for the fleet of ghost ships not so far from me.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

if you're ever in Joplin Missouri... the Joplin Ghost Lights creep-tastic! you'll just be driving along and behind you there are lights just floating in the air... no car.. nothing, and they'll follow you for quite a while and then suddenly wink out. will-o-the-wisp much?

then again I live near Stull Kansas, if you haven't looked into it oyu might want to. well, they tore the old church down a few years back, but it was supposedly one of the seven gates to hell, I've been up there several dozen times and never have seen anything, but damn it was a cool builiding!

http://www.prairieghosts.com/stull.html

not the best site for it.. but it's a start

Last edited by cowhead; 04-06-2005 at 04:51 PM.
cowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #18
happywife
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
In my little townhouse development, a man stabbed, strangled, and bashed the head in of his girlfriend a few years ago, and somehow escaped with only a third degree murder conviction. Less than two years ago, a woman burned her home down while she and her wheelchair-bound mother were inside. But for some reason, suburban townhomes don't seem to lend themselves to ghost stories. Not that anyone has bought the latter home yet.
If you're talking about the development in Trappe, my husband and I lived in the house that the woman was murdered in for two years with no incidents, except for the fact that the local paper kept printing our address when they covered the ex-boyfriends' trial. The neighbors were a little freaked out when another young couple moved in, though. And Fox news issued a retraction and an apology for reporting that the woman blew up her own house - all evidence points to the fact that it was a double homicide, not a murder-suicide. All in all, it was a weird coincidence that there were only three murders in Trappe in the past 5 years or so - and all of them happened in the same neighborhood.
happywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #19
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

Lawrence - Eldridge Hotel - There is an original cornerstone that was used to rebuild the hotel after Quatril's Raid burned it down. On the 5th level, room 506 contains a "portal spirit to the spirit world. There have been examples of flashing lights, breath marks on recently cleaned mirrors, and doors shutting on their own.

Lawrence - Haskell Indian school - Indian children crying and roaming about the campus looking for their parents.

Lawrence - Haskell Indian Nations University - Haskell is a know sight for countless paranormal activity. The campus itself dates back to the 1800's when the US Government built Haskell Institute to help control the Native American population and assimilate them into mainstream America. Native American children were taken from their reservations and sent to schools like Haskell to teach them how to be white Americans. All aspects of their Native American heritage was stripped from them and they were forced to act as the Government felt appropriate. Countless reports and documents held in the National Archives office in Kansas City tell stories of children beaten and abused for using their Native tongue, or for acting out of conduct. The University of Kansas forensic labs hold several remains of children found buried throughout the Haskell Campus. Many rumors are speculated about some of the Universities buildings, which are all some of the oldest in the state of Kansas. Haskell is an amazing place for those who seek an up and close experience with the paranormal. The history and horror that this campus holds is unlike any other place in the world. So, if you are daring, ask for a key to Hiawatha Hall and see if you can stand to be alone in the building for more than one evening. Haskell Indian Nations University is located at 155 Indian Avenue

Lawrence - Haskell Indian Nations University - Bell Tower - From the bell tower of the church people often will feel someone watching them while walking past the building. The building has a basement that has a section that has been sealed off, for reasons unknown. Most feel that whatever is behind those sealed off walls can explain the spirit that haunts Hiawatha Hall.

Lawrence - Haskell Indian Nations University - Haskell auditorium - is said to house a spirit that can be seen sitting in the auditorium enjoying a show. People have also heard the sound of a little girl crying in the backstage area.

Lawrence - Haskell Indian Nations University - Hiawatha Hall - is the oldest building on the campus and was built by the Methodist church in order to bring Christianity to the Native children. The church has been closed for decades and possession of the building has been assumed by the Government and is on the National record of historic places. It is said to be home of a spirit that makes no effort to hide itself. Doors will open and close for no reason, even while propped open with an object.

Lawrence - Haskell Indian Nations University - Pocahontas Hall - is the freshmen girls dormitory and has been reported to have a haunted basement. The story goes that a girl hung her self in the basement which houses the girls laundry facilities. To this day most people will not go down in the basement in fear of seeing the girl hanging there from the ceiling.

Lawrence - Haskell Indian Nations University - Just south of Taminend Hall - there is a small cemetery with about 70 markers of children who died from a smallpox epidemic that plagued the city of Lawrence for a good year. When you approach the cemetery don't be afraid if you start to hear the sound of children crying. This is a common occurrence and has been the reason for several Native ceremonies to try to bring peace to these children who died here. One medicine man says that the children will only stop crying when they have been returned to their home lands.

Lawrence - The Lawrence Community Theatre - Originally a church, the Lawrence Community Theatre is home to a mysterious presence. Lights habitually malfunction, set pieces and props move seemingly on their own, and many report a feeling of being watched.

Lawrence - University of Kansas - Sigma Nu Fraternity - Apparently the ghost of the mistress of a former governor who lived there. She hung herself and is now sighted every once in a while. Some ghost hunters came to town and agreed that something was there. It was Ed Warren and his wife, Lorraine.

Lawrence - Stull Cemetery - is said to be a gateway to the afterlife. I have been there once. It is closed off and one risks an overnight stay in the Douglas county jail if they are caught trespassing. It is an old cemetery surrounding an abandoned church. Legend holds that any object thrown into the church regardless of what it is, you will never hear it hit the ground.

well they tore the church down a few years ago... but uh yeah.. that place was damn creepy.. there is also the Flory family graveyard... right by my cousins farm... one gets a weird sense there.. there are some kids buried there..all from 1918 and there is a sense of I dunno.. mischief and one will fine bootlaces untied when one is sure they are tied... it's cool
that ain't the half of it dear readers...

Last edited by cowhead; 08-09-2005 at 09:30 PM.
cowhead is offline   Reply With Quote