The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

View Poll Results: So? "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"?
Harry who? 3 12.00%
It's juvenile simplistic claptrap, why should I pay attention? 8 32.00%
Yeah I read it but I figured all the high-powered intellects at The Cellar would look down on it 6 24.00%
I've read the books, didn't like them 0 0%
I bought my copy at midnight Friday night & devoured it immediately 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #31
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Critique

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
     I believe I said it was a kids book. Not that it wasn't literature. I believe it qualifies. The point stands that it's not meant to stand up to the same level of critique.
Has anyone ever read The Annotated Alice by Martin Gardner? Children's books are perfectly legitimate targets of critique. One may forgive a children's book for an uncomplicated plot, but if there are plot problems, they deserve critical attention.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:33 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
One may forgive a children's book for an uncomplicated plot, but if there are plot problems, they deserve critical attention.
there are no plot problems unless the children it was written for, see plot problems.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:50 PM   #33
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Is there nothing

Is there nothing in the Alice stories warranting study by adults? Or, conversely, is it likely that Harry Potter 5 wasn't written with the expectation of a large number of adults in the readership?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:35 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
is it likely that Harry Potter 5 wasn't written with the expectation of a large number of adults in the readership?
It's been pretty well documented that a huge number of adults are reading the series. But maybe Rowling is writing for children anyway. Being a manchild, I liked it.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:44 PM   #35
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Actually, most of the people I've talked to that have read them are adults. Doesn't change the slant of the books. It's directed at a child's level. What makes it a kids book isn't not being smart enough for adults. It's keeping it understandable to kids. This means some things will happen without deep psychological reasons. In this case Mr. Riddle coming to the Ministry when he had been expressly avoiding it no matter the import. Yeah, an adult might question this. It's a tactically stupid thing to do. Especially when coming from someone who is supposed to be brilliant. However, to a kid it just means Tom's really pissed. That's what my ten year old surmised. Ask your own. In my case Rowling hit dead center the effect she was looking for. So, I say "Well done."
     Or to be brief, even if I didn't get it, my kid, the target audience did. Sounds right to me.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:41 AM   #36
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
[b]In this case Mr. Riddle coming to the Ministry when he had been expressly avoiding it no matter the import. Yeah, an adult might question this. It's a tactically stupid thing to do./B]
If we assume the audience is Harry's age, your kid is below the target age. IMO, lots of kids Harry's age will notice the discrepency.

They'll all be nerds, but they'll notice nevertheless.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:06 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
They'll all be nerds, but they'll notice nevertheless
Oh no, the amazing part of the whole phenomenon is the way it has attracted non-nerds to reading.:p
Old 07-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #38
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

For what (vanishingly little) my opinion is worth, I think Rowling has done an astoundingly fine job writing on a level which is engaging and descriptive for adults, yet is accessible to kids at the same time...or vice-versa, if you will.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #39
Cedar
Questionist

Three out of my four teenagers enjoyed the books. I managed to only read the first half of book one. I thought the films were interesting. To get my 13 year old daughter to wade thru a 700 page book of any caliber is a remarkable achievement. I admire Rowlings for what she has accomplished-- from welfare mamma to the richest woman in Britain--a true success story.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:59 AM   #40
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome, Cedar!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:11 AM   #41
juju
no one of consequence

Wow, are you really from Prague? That's pretty neat.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:06 AM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hi Cedar. With 4 teenagers you're lucky to be able to get half way through a postcard, no less a book.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 AM   #43
Cedar
Questionist

Harry Potter Madness in London

When the latest Harry Potter book came out I was in London holding my 19 year old son's hand in the hospital as he was recovering from complications arising from his appendix being removed. Harry Potter addicts were camping in front of bookstores days before the release of the book to get an 8 hour jump at midnight before the opening of regular business the next day. I thought the hoopla was a bit exaggerated as I strolled down to the bookstore closest to my hotel near Oxford Street the next morning, queued up sixth in line at 9 am and waltzed out with the book at 9:08. My 13 year old daughter was thrilled with it when I gave it to her upon my return to Prague. She labored through it for at least two weeks and kept me posted chapter by chapter what troubles Harry was encountering at Hogwarts. To me it was more interesting to hear the tales from her than to actually read the book. Now I just have to get busy and get a copy mailed to my 20 year old daughter who is posted with the 4th Infantry somewhere in Iraq.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:03 AM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
To me it was more interesting to hear the tales from her than to actually read the book.
Hadn't thought of that but wouldn't it be also interesting to read it (time permitting ) and compare your impression to the kid's take on it?
Old 08-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #45
Cedar
Questionist

Youngin Harry P again

I agree that it might be an interesting comparison. However, I currently have about 30 books stacked up with a higher priority than Harry Potter. So I must get those read first and let my daughter keep me posted on H.P.