The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
MaryMary
Confounded Conjuror

Texas Mom Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity

McKINNEY, Texas - A mother charged with murder for cutting off her baby daughter's arms in what her lawyers portrayed as a religious frenzy was found not guilty by reason of insanity Friday by a judge.

Dena Schlosser, 38, will be sent to a state mental hospital and held until she is no longer deemed a threat to herself or others.

"My own expectation is that she will remain at the hospital for many, many years," defense attorney David Haynes said.

Police arrested Schlosser in 2004 after she told a 911 operator she had severed her baby's arms. Officers found the 10-month-old baby, Margaret, near death in her crib and Schlosser covered in blood, holding a knife and listening to a hymn.

In issuing the verdict, Judge Chris Oldner said Schlosser had met the legal standard for insanity, but did not elaborate. Both the defense and the prosecution had agreed to let the judge decide the case after Schlosser's previous trial ended in a deadlocked jury in February.

Last week it was disclosed that Schlosser had a brain tumor that defense attorneys said could have caused hallucinations.

Schlosser glanced toward her former stepfather but said nothing as she was led away.

"We have a just verdict in a just case, but yes, it is bittersweet," her lawyer said. "She feels it is her best chance to get better."

The case hinged on whether Schlosser was unable to grasp the wrongfulness of the crime — the Texas standard for insanity.

The judge relied on evidence he had heard during the first trial. Among other things, psychiatrists said Schlosser suffered severe mood swings and religious hallucinations. One doctor said Schlosser told him she wanted to cut off her baby's arms and her own limbs and head and give them to God.

But prosecutor Curtis Howard said the fact Schlosser told her husband that she had "killed the baby" proved she knew what she was doing. "This is a case that could have gone both ways; we knew that," Howard said after the verdict.

Schlosser's brain tumor did not become an issue until last week. A witness in her first trial alluded to a possible brain lesion, but miscommunication between doctors delayed confirmation by a neurologist until weeks after the mistrial.

Bob Nicholas, Schlosser's former stepfather and the only relative in attendance Friday, said the verdict was the best possible outcome.

"This whole case, this whole situation with Dena, was a tragedy," Nicholas said. "We've got the loss of Maggie, who never reached her first birthday. We've got two little girls coping with the loss of their sister and of a loving, caring mother."

John Schlosser, Schlosser's husband, has filed for divorce and has custody of the couple's two other daughters.

Damn.....How sick is that?????
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:35 AM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

[otherthadrelatedsarcasm]It isn't sick...it was a valid act based on her point of view. Plus, she has value. Why, her lawyer said it was tragic that her surviving children had lost a loving mother.[/otherthadrelatedsarcasm]
Old 04-08-2006, 02:37 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
John Schlosser, Schlosser's husband, has filed for divorce and has custody of the couple's two other daughters.
He's probably going to be telling the kids their mommy is a bad person. Sad.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
He's probably going to be telling the kids their mommy is a bad person. Sad.
I remember when this happened... the other kids were home when it happened. One of the daughters actually ran to get a neighbor when Mommy went and cut off the baby's arms. They are probably already more than aware that Mommy is nuts.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I remember when this happened... the other kids were home when it happened. One of the daughters actually ran to get a neighbor when Mommy went and cut off the baby's arms. They are probably already more than aware that Mommy is nuts.
Man, I hope they find a good therapist for the two remaining daughters. That little Hallmark moment would have a way of staying in a child's mind. As for Mommy, I think they might just want to keep her locked in the looney bin for life. Of course, if she actually does have a brain tumor, she may not be long for this world, anyhow. If she really was a kind, normal Mom and then got the brain tumor, that's actually very tragic all around.