The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
I would actually guess that most of what happened in the movie would have happened by the end of the second season, if the show hadn't been canceled.
I'm not so sure about that. I think that (unable to be spoiler-free, so highlight) the whole Miranda thing could have been a season finale, but both main character deaths would have taken longer than a season, if they happened at all. Perhaps Book's mysterious backstory and exiting the ship to make a new life for himself could all have been sufficiently filled out within a season, but even then I think he would have stuck around as a ground ally for awhile longer. And IMO, the only reason Wash died at all was to make the final firefight truly gripping--Joss Whedon had just proven that he could and would kill off major characters. I totally believed that Kaylee, Jayne, Simon, Zoe, and Mal were going to die at one point or another from their injuries. At any rate, I admit that I teared up multiple times.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I thought it kicked ass, and I am now looking for the Firefly box set to...um...uh...borrow. Yeah, that's it. Borrow.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #18
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I'm not so sure about that. I think that
No, Joss kills off characters with alarming regularity, for the reason you mention - so the peril they are in is more genuine. I am reasonably confident that at least one of them, and possibly both, would have been dead by the season two finale.

I also think that we have already seen Book's backstory, in the form of the Operative.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Orson Scott Card reviews Serenity

Quote:
It's great.

I'm not going to say it's the best science fiction movie, ever.

Oh, wait. Yes I am.

Let me put this another way. Those of you who know my work at all know about Ender's Game. I jealously protected the movie rights to Ender's Game so that it would not be filmed until it could be done right. I knew what kind of movie it had to be, and I tried to keep it away from directors, writers, and studios who would try to turn it into the kind of movie they think of as "sci-fi."

Because I know that science fiction doesn't have to be all mindless action. Or even mindful action. I can praise a movie like I, Robot and mean it, without for a second thinking that what I'm seeing is great sci-fi.

I can enjoy the first Matrix and see it as a kind of magic sci-fi, but recognize that in the end, it's all about the mystical quasi-religious ideas and the special effects, and not about human beings at all.

Because for me, a great film -- sci-fi or otherwise -- comes down to relationships and moral decisions. How people are with each other, how they build communities, what they sacrifice for the sake of others, what they mean when they think of a decision as right vs. wrong.

This is the kind of movie that I have always intended Ender's Game to be (though the plots are not at all similar).

And this is as good a movie as I always hoped Ender's Game would be.

And I'll tell you this right now: If Ender's Game can't be this kind of movie, and this good a movie, then I want it never to be made.

I'd rather just watch Serenity again.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Okay, I'm Netflixing the series so I can watch the movie. This is strong stuff me likey.