The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 08-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Martial Arts

When my husband took a new job a couple of months ago, we lost access to the old employer's weight room, which we had been using twice a week for a long time. The new employer is much smaller and does not have a weight room (though they have lots and lots of free snacks available, which makes it even worse.)

We've been resisting joining a commercial gym, however, because of A.) the high cost, B.) the frustration of not having the machine you want when you want it, and C.) the general atmosphere in those places is just sorta uncomfortable and intimidating for both of us.

So we decided last night to investigate a local martial arts school we always drive by. It's officially a "Tukong" school, which I understand is sort of like an offshoot of Tae Kwon Do. It's more self-defense oriented, at any rate. They have adult classes at lunch time and in the evenings Monday through Thursday. We're signed up to attend a "free trial lesson" in the beginner class tomorrow night.

I'm so excited about this, it's ridiculous. It's kind of always been one of those things that I've thought, "Hey, that would be cool to do," but never actually done it. The cost is basically the same as a gym membership, but instead for your money you get scheduled classes with an instructor and a workout at the same time. Perhaps I'll go Thursday night and discover it's not that great, but right now I'm pumped!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Good for you! I hope you have as much fun as you are anticipating! I like it because it doesn't feel like I'm "working out" - makes the time much quicker and more enjoyable.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Clodfobble

How long have you been doing it? The guy we talked to said it would take a year to a year and a half before we would be ready to leave the Beginner class (to be fair, they only have Beginner, Advanced, and Black Belt.)
Old 08-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
lookout123
changed his status to single

i hope it you guys really enjoy it. remind me not to mess with you at any future cellar GTG's.

if you end up not liking it you may want to look into LA Fitness. i am very much not a gym goer - but i really do like this one and i've been a member for about a year. it is only $24/month and i have never had a problem with crowds, although i don't ever go between 11-1. just a thought.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Clodfobble

Heh... according to the LA Fitness website, there are nine LA Fitness locations in Texas (none of which are in Austin)--but eight of those nine are scheduled to open later this year. Obviously they're expanding, though, so maybe they'll open one here next year.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One night you have none, the next they are every third block. That happened here.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

After I had to quit ballet (bad hips) after studying intensively for 20 years, I gave Tai Chi a try, a little Tae Kwan Do, and some kickboxing, which turned out to be my favorite. Altogether about 5 years of different styles. More into it for fun and exercise than trying to acheive a belt.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
Clodfobble

Well, our trial lesson tonight was awesome! We'll definitely be signing up for the regular class. There's a lot of bowing required--when you enter the arena, when you actually step onto the floormat of the arena, when you leave both, whenever a higher instructor calls for your attention, and pretty much whenever you happen to make eye contact with anyone else--but they say you get used to it.

We were given a quick tour of the facilities, then one of the instructors taught us basic forms one-on-one (well, okay, one-on-two) since everyone else was doing individual stuff in preparation for an upcoming belt test on Saturday. We're supposed to go back next week to see what it's like during a more normal class, since they don't know yet that we're already completely sold on it.

Things I learned: I have great hand formation and terrible foot formation. Every time I kick or lunge forward, my foot lands with the toe turned drastically inward like I'm pigeon-toed, and meanwhile I can't keep my other heel on the ground without ripping my calf in two. This of course makes my balance terrible in these stances. So I have something to work on before next Tuesday!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Sounds exciting! I always had a vague desire to try martial arts but never had the [ruralism] gumption [/ruralism].
Old 08-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I always had a vague desire to try martial arts but never had the gumption.
I, too, was initially afraid I wouldn't have the [urbanism] chuztpah [/urbanism] to actually spar with someone and get hit. But one of the things that sold me last night was the fact that you don't do any real sparring or interacting with another person until several belts up. For at least the first year it's just learning forms and balance and getting in shape. Most of what we did last night was very reminiscent of the Tai Chi I used to do, actually--just a teeny bit faster.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Krav Maga and Mixed Martial Arts

If you really want a work out and get some true to life techniques that could save you in a life threatening situation look into Krav Maga. Krav is an Isrelli streetfighting style based on realistic techniques. It can be expensive to become certified or go to the classes but it is worth it.
Krav is the real deal. You won't ever hear a KM tactician saying they got their ass kicked in the street. They have different classes too: disarming, strikes and kicks, etc. They also have fitness KM. Look into it.
Then, if you really want to get in shape look into mixed martial arts. MMA is an incredible arena now. It gets you in shape fast. I've been studying this and that for years now, but Krav and mixed martial arts got me to the level I never thought I could be at. With the combination you will put blackbelts on the ground crying. They don't know what hit them. Plus, it is motivating and good for you. Good luck, and stay strong.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I, too, was initially afraid I wouldn't have the [urbanism] chuztpah [/urbanism] to actually spar with someone and get hit.
Actually, I was a wrestler back n the day so contact isn't an issue. I just figure I don't have time to do it properly. My daughters fencing instructor wanted me to start that as well but time, time, time...
Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
Mary Jane and Me
IS IN HIDING.............CAN YOU FIND ME???

I was in Tae Kwon Do for a long time and enjoyed it alot..........hope ya'll do too......
Mary Jane and Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #14
Clodfobble

So far we're loving it! Last night was nunchuck night, which was definitely an experience. One of the moves that we had to repeat 50 or so times involved a full lunge down to one knee and then back up again--I can barely walk today. And you know what they say, it's not the day after but the day after that...
Old 09-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
So Clod, when will you be able to put some "kitty combotty" on people's asses?

Have fun, but don't get hurt.