The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: is there a god
there is only one god, the christian god 14 25.00%
there is no god, no heaven, no hell 25 44.64%
there are several gods 4 7.14%
i am god 6 10.71%
i believe in "The Force" 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2003, 04:57 PM   #16
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
Is this Zuul?

This was the result of a google search for Zuul.
Yes, this is Zuul. Remember the conversation from Ghostbusters:

Venkman: "Zuuly you old nutbag! I need to speak to Dana."
Dana: "There is no Dana, only Zuul!"

There is one God. He's recognized differently by different cultures. The Buddhists have discovered the mechanics of the soul, and will get in to heaven [or not if they so choose] for that reason.

It's arrogant to look at anyone and say they're going to hell, or they're damned. I don't know that, I don't have the full story, and I've been commanded not to [Matthew 7:1]. The Old Testament requires that I sacrifice a bull, too. Except for the occasional cow parts that happen to stumble onto my grill, I don't.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:07 PM   #17
perth
Strong Silent Type

Hate to nitpcik, but I always considered the hellhounds to be minions of Zuul. I figured that when Zuul decided to show up as 80's Rockstar Zuul, she left Dana's body and turned her into a hell-puppy. Additionally, I would have to watch the movie again, but that screencap may well be one of Rick Moranis as hellhound.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #18
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
Hate to nitpcik, but I always considered the hellhounds to be minions of Zuul. I figured that when Zuul decided to show up as 80's Rockstar Zuul, she left Dana's body and turned her into a hell-puppy. Additionally, I would have to watch the movie again, but that screencap may well be one of Rick Moranis as hellhound.
Was the 80s rocker a chick or a guy? I always wondered that.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:13 PM   #19
perth
Strong Silent Type

Waittaminute. Wasn't rockstar girl Gozer?
Old 12-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #20
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Waittaminute. Wasn't rockstar girl Gozer?
Yes, he/she was Gozer (Gozar?) The Stay Puft guy wasn't really named anything, I think and Zuul was the dog, Dana turned into.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:31 PM   #21
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

All this is proof that anyone that survived the 80's has little or no memory of it.
Attached Images

Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #22
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
All this is proof that everyone that survived the 80's has little or no memory of it.
That could be considered beneficial by some.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:44 PM   #23
perth
Strong Silent Type

Since the thread is already hijacked...

Gozer was the diety (The Traveler)
Zuul was one of the dogs.
Vinz was the other. (Moranis)
Zuul and Vinz were the gatekeeper and keykeeper, minions of Gozer.
Stay-Puft was Gozer.

script.

I'm not sure which I feel worse about, the fact that I helped highack this thread so badly or the fact that I spent the time looking that all up.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:39 PM   #24
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:

I'm not sure which I feel worse about, the fact that I helped highack this thread so badly or the fact that I spent the time looking that all up.
As long as you did have to look it up.... and didn't actually know all that off the top of your head... there's probably still hope.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:21 PM   #25
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
There is one God. He's recognized differently by different cultures. The Buddhists have discovered the mechanics of the soul, and will get in to heaven [or not if they so choose] for that reason.

It's arrogant to look at anyone and say they're going to hell, or they're damned. I don't know that, I don't have the full story, and I've been commanded not to [Matthew 7:1]. The Old Testament requires that I sacrifice a bull, too. Except for the occasional cow parts that happen to stumble onto my grill, I don't.
You said it best.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:54 PM   #26
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
Gonna have to go with the force too. I believe there's one God (not "christian only"), and he/she is not spending his/her time chatting with Jesse, Osama, John-Paul, etc.

In other words I don't believe anyone truly knows, nor are we supposed to.....we'll find out soon enough I guess.
Prayer is used to talk to God. We pray, and one way we are answered is with the yearning we feel.

When Jesus prayed to God, he called Him 'daddy', very informally and familiar, because the Christian God is a personal God that is that close to us. If your idea of God is some remote Creator that doesn't interact with the universe, or our tiny corner of it, then that's not my idea of what the Christian view of God is.

Just because you choose not to hear Him doesn't mean he's not speaking to you right now!

God is a mystery, so yes, noone can truly know God. However, there are aspects of God that can be understood by human minds.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 PM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
OK, maybe God or Zuul is angry with me for my previous post....I just looked out my window and my neighbor has put up a snowman ( all lit up from the inside, plastic, inflatable?) in his yard, the thing is like 12' tall!
A friend of mine has the giant electric penguin from that line of stupid decorations.

All I can think of is "Scott of the Antarctic."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:18 AM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

DO YOU BELIEVE IN SIGNS?

Tonight while i was driving home, i stopped at a traffic light behind a small black hyundai which had the following vanity tag affixed to it's posterior:

UZTHE4C
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 01:44 AM   #29
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I don't know about signs...or god...or the force...but since I can't decide to believe in any of it before I see proof, I choose to believe in myself. I know that sounds really weird, or dorky, but what I really mean is my mind. I think we all have some crazy big potential that most of us can't realize because of our self-imposed limitations. It sucks. But yeah, I think it is possible to do things like manipulate objects with our minds or communicate with whatever we have (energy?) Yeah, I know, it sounds really flakey, but that is something I can buy better than the idea that some god is hanging over us and guiding our lives.

I guess I fail to really describe what I am saying, but it seems right that we as people have something deeper than what we realize. (Yet another half-baked theory, courtesy of case.)

Then again, maybe I belong on medication.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:46 AM   #30
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast

When Jesus prayed to God, he called Him 'daddy', very informally and familiar, because the Christian God is a personal God that is that close to us.
how do you know this? isn't "daddy" english? i thought jesus woud have spoken hebrew?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote