The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Post Katrinas lost but not forgoten animals.

I watched part of the animal resuce operations and the tears just ran down my cheeks. I hardly ever cry so if you are like me this will jerk more than a few tears. I had to change the station it was so heart breaking.

I wish I could go there to help. I wish I had the money to go find these animals and feed them.

poor pups......poor poor pups

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/katrina/

You'll have to find an episode in your area. They show on pbs.

skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I saw that, sky.....very sad.
Also, there was a local group, NJ I think, that has gotten quite a bit of air time. They went down soon after the storm and flew back a bunch of animals, rehabilitated them and if the owners couldn't be found immediately, found homes for them. Happy pets, happy new owners, happy news stories.

But, the rescue group posted pictures and available info about these pets all over the place and some of the owners turned up. The new owners had to give them up, which is also heart wrenching.

In some cases the original owners said, Hey, Fido's found a good home and I haven't, so you keep him.....which is also heart wrenching on several levels.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
marichiko

Oh, I saw that story on PBS, and I cried. Such tragic things about the innocent animals that depend on us. There was an old man who lived all alone - no family - and he had a cat he called "ConCat." He called her that because he said he had never owned a cat before and she just "conned her way" into his heart. He was told that he would be home in a few days and not to bring his kitty with him. Well, as we all know, it didn't turn out that way. With the help of the PBS crew, the old guy returned illegally to NO to retrieve ConCat. He found her and quickly picked up her food and toys and left his home with nothing else but those things and ConCat. The smile on the old man's face was incredible. Too bad there were weren't more happy endings like that.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Thanks guys. It is comforting to hear both your storys and that you saw the shows too. Or ones like it. I am glad for the good storys there. I think the more people talk about it maybe more will be done?

You know that saying 'misery loves company'
I feel not so alone in that grief and yet I still grieve. That internal handwringing futile kind that wonders what I can do about it? ya know? I can't imagine having to leave ones pet and even after so many months later...still lost or in rescue shelters.

I wish with all my heart I could hop a plane and just go.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
I watched part of the animal resuce operations and the tears just ran down my cheeks. I hardly ever cry so if you are like me this will jerk more than a few tears.
Long ago stopped doing that because I found it foolish. For example, in about 4 months, summer residents on seaside offshore islands ($million houses etc) will abandon their pets to those islands. Year round residents (that I know) end up collecting cats by the tens starting in September. Crying about the pets? Not worth it because so many humans (even in college towns) have no problem abandoning the pets they so loved month earlier.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's ridiculous,TW.
If you're hurt by the side of the road after the guy that hurt you drove away, and the guy in front of me drives right by you, then logically I should drive by also. WTF?

If you've discarded compassion because it interferes with your logic thought process, I suggest you seek some balance.

Oh, and give away your bed and groceries.....we'll just wheel you into your docking station for an overnight recharge.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #7
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Some people leave their pets when they move. We got a few of them around. It's truly sad. Either they just don't care or think the pet will be fine in the wild.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
Buddug

In Europe , we did not worry too much about the animals .

We thought about people . Many of us were sickened to see how little African Americans count in the land of the free .

That hurricane exposed a tragic and shameful flaw .
Old 07-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, it brought the pompous asses that don't know what they're talking about, out of the woodwork.