The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-10-2003, 09:33 AM   #16
perth
Strong Silent Type

And hey presto! Only question is whether they are a reliable company.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #17
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

It hasn't been officially released on DVD in Region 1 yet, but should eventually come out from Disney - Disney made a deal with Studio Ghibli a couple of years ago to release a number of their movies...I'm not sure if Whispers of the Heart was part of that agreement, but it most likely was...nausicaa.net has the details.

If you want the movie now and have a region-free DVD player, or a spare DVD player to set to Region 2, I would recommend ordering it from CD Japan: www.cdjapan.co.jp
They have a good selection, and are a reputable Japanese media distributor.

The site can be difficult to navigate sometimes, so here's a link to the DVD: Whisper of the Heart
BTW, its Japanese title is Mimi wo Sumaseba

Now, if you don't care about an official release, you can probably pick up all of Studio Ghibli's releases on bootleg DVDs on ebay for like $10
Old 12-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #18
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by mwbEEf

Now, if you don't care about an official release, you can probably pick up all of Studio Ghibli's releases on bootleg DVDs on ebay for like $10
Oh yeah... I got the Galaxy Express 999 series that way. I'd be happy to pay for an official release, even from Region 2, as long as it has English subtitles, but it doesn't appear that any such is forthcoming so I went the bootleg route.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:04 PM   #19
perth
Strong Silent Type

So will a region 1 player play region-free dvds? The site I linked to says the following in its FAQ:
Quote:
Import DVD will work fine on ANY NTSC DVD players / game consoles (w/ DVD playback capability) / DVD-ROM on computer as import titles are usually region-free. You can check whether certain title is region-free or not in DVD description page.
But some of the info I have googled implies otherwise.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:27 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
So will a region 1 player play region-free dvds? The site I linked to says the following in its FAQ:

But some of the info I have googled implies otherwise.
Yes, in general a region 1 player will probably play region-free discs. (Some region 1 discs are released so that they will not play on a region-free player, but that's not the same.)

HOWEVER, I would tread lightly on the statement that "import titles are usually region-free." Import titles that are, shall we say, informally produced, are usually region free. Official, authorized releases, are usually region-coded.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:53 PM   #21
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From SteveD:
Oh yeah... I got the Galaxy Express 999 series
      Dude, Captain Harlock rocks!
Old 12-11-2003, 04:52 AM   #22
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah I know... I can't see why they haven't released more of the Galaxy Express etc. series in the US. I've got to think it would sell well.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:06 AM   #23
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

Its those character designs! Rounded noses will never fly I tell you! NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:12 AM   #24
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Thanks to Insoluble, I was finally able to see Wonderful Days. Its really bizarre to see an anime and hear Korean instead of Japanese.

My opinion of it: The CG was really great! Usually, I don't like tons of CG, but it was handled really well in this and they integrated it nicely with the animation. The soundtrack was pleasing to the ears and character animation wasn't too bad, although some of the characters were fairly freaky looking.

For some reason the plot didn't jive with me and I don't know why. It wasn't horrible, but it also didn't grab me, either. They never really developed a background for the suffering of the lower class of people, nor established why the upper class split off and formed an isolated group.

My only other complaint: the really impressive song used in the trailer is found no where in the film. Damn.

Next on my list: ChronoSphere, more Naruto, and Read or Die ...if I have any spare time, which I don't, these days. Sigh.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote