The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Yeh me too, but to even ask for your passwords?? What the heck is that about?
I'm not trusting a "potential" employer with that. Thats just insane - What were/are they thinking?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #17
glatt

I'm currently loving Facebook. Or more accurately, the people on Facebook.

I missed my 20 year college reunion a couple weeks ago, and many people who went are posting their pictures to the class club group on Facebook. There are 160+ pictures there so far. It's so cool to be seeing pictures of old classmates, even when they aren't on Facebook themselves.

I wish I had been there, but it's nice to at least have all these pictures of the event.

Facebook itself sucks, and I hate it. The user interface is extremely counter-intuitive, and all the apps make it smell like an evil corporation. But the people on Facebook are awesome.

I wish Google would buy Facebook and do it right.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I wish Google would buy Facebook and do it right.
I'm in!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I keep getting emails from facebook, saying this or that person that I know has invited me to sign up and view their facebook page. Delete.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #20
classicman

I don't ... not any longer. I occasionally want to get on for one reason or another, but I don't miss all the baggage at all.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I never signed up and never went on, these are other people signing up and giving my email address to invite.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #22
glatt

You don't hear much about it, because it's been legally resolved and was a couple years ago, but Facebook was started by a guy in college who stole the idea from his buddy. It got its start as an evil company.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

The buddy claims he stole the idea.

Probably the idea was bounced around between a whole bunch of people.

Most likely, lots of different people were independently having the same idea at around that time. It often happens.

Know something, though? The bright idea is so tiny a part of eventual success that it is nearly irrelevant. It is the huge slog of steady hard work that makes the idea viable, then succesful, that counts.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #24
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I've been getting into the games.

I started playing six games, but I've narrowed it down.

Mob Wars
Mafia Wars
Texas Holdem

and my newest favorite BattleStations

BTW, if you want to join my crew (and have me join yours)
http://apps.facebook.com/battlestati...ard+King+Petty
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
classicman

What Happens to Your Facebook Profile When You Die?

Quote:
The company decided to publicize the policy because of a backlash caused by a new version of the site's homepage that was rolled out on Oct. 23, which includes automatically generated "suggestions" of people to "reconnect" with. Within days of the launch, Twitter users and bloggers from across the Web complained that some of these suggestions were for friends who had died. "Would that I could," complained a user on Twitter before ending her tweet with the hash tag #MassiveFacebookFail.

"We understand how difficult it can be for people to be reminded of those who are no longer with them, which is why it's important when someone passes away that their friends or family contact Facebook to request that a profile be memorialized," Kelly said in the post. To discourage pranksters, Facebook does require proof before sending a profile down the digital river Styx. Family or friends must fill out a form, providing a link to an obituary or other information confirming a user's death, before the profile is officially memorialized. Once that is completed, the user will cease showing up in Facebook's suggestions, and information like status updates won't show up in Facebook's news feed, the stream of real-time user updates that is the site's centerpiece. If relatives prefer not to have the profile stand as an online memorial, Facebook says it will remove the account altogether. (Read: "How to Manage Your Online Life When You're Dead.")

Better publicizing memorialized profiles is an attempt by Facebook to answer lingering privacy concerns. Canadian privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart investigated the company in July and issued a report that asked Facebook to explain certain areas of its privacy policy, including policies regarding the profiles of deceased users. In response, the company promised to issue a new privacy policy that better articulates how user information is treated postmortem and offered the commissioner an outline of its memorializing policy, nearly three months before the blog post explained it to users. Spokeswoman Anne-Marie Hayden says the privacy commissioner was "quite pleased" with Facebook's response to the office's concerns and says the commissioner will review the detailed version of the site's new policy, expected in late October. (See what happens when parents join Facebook.)

Facebook's attempt to clearly state its policy is prudent, as other social-networking sites have struggled with the question of users' deaths. MySpace in particular has had a difficult time with digital rubbernecking - during the site's heyday, a handful of well-trafficked blogs specialized in matching MySpace profiles directly to obituaries and posting the pairings online for all to see. By sealing profiles to family and friends and removing profiles from search results, Facebook assuages users' fears that they'll be fodder for online voyeurs in the event of their untimely demise - hopefully putting the issue to rest.
I dunno what to say here except that my personal experience with them was not good. I guess this is all they can do.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #26
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
before sending a profile down the digital river Styx
They really shouldn't do that to a metaphor. Or two metaphors.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #27
Vanessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Since The Cellar has a facebook page, this is something we should think about,...or not? This article says that Facebook claims the right to use whatever you put into your Facebook page, even after you terminated your page. Y'all read and let know what ya think.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,494064,00.html
Thanks for sharing this very informative link.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
classicman

Quote:
Facebook draws criticism for privacy changes

Privacy groups are assailing Facebook after the world’s largest social networking website made changes to its privacy settings this week.

The changes allow users to apply more specific privacy settings to the content they post on the site. But many of the default settings mean that, unless users follow a prompt to go in and change their settings, they end up sharing most of their information with everyone on the internet.

“Under the banner of simplification, Facebook has pushed users to downgrade their privacy,” said Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, a US advocacy group.
Link
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #29
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

So if you post a picture on facebook then myspace, then try and sell the picture, who do you think would win the ensuring law suit?

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
The changes allow users to apply more specific privacy settings to the content they post on the site. But many of the default settings mean that, unless users follow a prompt to go in and change their settings, they end up sharing most of their information with everyone on the internet.

“Under the banner of simplification, Facebook has pushed users to downgrade their privacy,” said Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, a US advocacy group. Link
I will have to make a point to do this. I did get a prompt when I signed on the other day.