The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #3736
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I had softcore Deja Vu once. I was pretty sure I had sat right next to that same person and had the same conversation...only this time it was sort of blurry and filtered and there was mood music in the background.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #3737
glatt

You always hear about how standardized tests are unfair, because people have different backgrounds and so a question that might seem simple for one person might be really hard for another.

I always thought there was a fair amount of BS to that, because facts are facts and they shouldn't change depending on your life experiences.

Then earlier this week, my wife told me about a 5th grade standardized math assessment test she gave. One question really confused a handful of the kids.

It was something like "Sally needs to buy a pair of jeans that cost $10. She hands the cashier a $20 bill. How much change should she get back? The sales taxes are already included in the price."

So my wife asks if there are any questions, and a couple kids really don't understand the bit about the taxes. This sentence that was clearly put in there to help eliminate confusion has created more confusion than it eliminated. And then one kid asked if a pair of jeans was one article of clothing or two. And that's an excellent question, because "pair" means "two." So the answer should be that Sally gets no change back.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #3738
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Of course it sounds like blindingly obvious question to me (although we have VAT so tax is automatic) but it's surprising sometimes what children do not understand. They can learn things without comprehending, and answer correctly without understanding.

Tiger was placed in a much lower reading group than he needed to be because he couldn't predict the future outcome of the story or assess the emotions of the characters from the pictures or text.
That had me damn near tearing my hair out. He was a steady, average reader and an enthusiastic one. Guess what? He didn't understand why Chip was upset when Floppy was ill. This is the boy who sat beside the toilet when his Dad had a vomiting bug asking him again and again to mend his broken toy.

Sometimes you need to take some other issues into consideration.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #3739
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, both my kids are in lower reading groups than they should be, precisely because their story comprehension is not at the same level as their reading skills. But I agreed to it, because both of them can already read above grade level anyway, and I don't need class time spent getting them even further ahead, I want them to work on the things they can't do well. They are both the type that would have said, "a pair of jeans must mean two of them."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #3740
Lamplighter

... especially if there is a pair of scissors in the pocket...(s?)
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #3741
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You always hear about how standardized tests are unfair, because people have different backgrounds and so a question that might seem simple for one person might be really hard for another.

I always thought there was a fair amount of BS to that, because facts are facts and they shouldn't change depending on your life experiences.
Name:  standardizedanimals.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  66.3 KB
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #3742
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My kids are driving me crazy lately. They seem so highly needy in different ways and i am running out of whatever it is that makes you care enough as a parent to make you want to help them instead of telling them to go away.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #3743
Aliantha

and now my sis in law is pissing me off posting about politics from her very own extreme right wing stand point.

Apparently only wealthy people work hard! Or maybe, you only get wealthy by working hard. Or maybe, if you work hard you will eventually be wealthy. Fucked if I know, but I fucking hate that attitude. Pretty sure I've pissed her off in return by refuting some of her claims though, so I guess we're even.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #3744
infinite monkey

@ monster: but climbing that tree isn't the same as studying and answering questions about that tree. It's not the Presidential Physical Fitness thing (does that still exist?)
Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #3745
infinite monkey

People who play all 'warm and cuddly and oh so understanding of human nature and forgiveness' then hold a grudge forever? They bore the living daylights out of me. Phony baloneys? I see right through you. Go peddle your wares to your admiring hordes, I'll just sit here and laugh at the hordes.

disclaimer: this isn't about you, unless of course it IS you. No, really, it's probably not about you, if you have enough conscience to wonder if it's about you.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #3746
Aliantha

Mav and Katie broke up last night. Although its hard for them, i think its for the best. Mav is too young for the intensity created by her dependence on him and our family. I think Mav will recover pretty well, but i am worried about Katie and how this might compound her prior issues. Anyway, time will tell. As a parent i am feeling quite relieved that its over.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #3747
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Wishing them both the best. It did sound like their relationship was raining down a fair bit of stress on your family. Hope they heal quickly and that Katie's path takes a turn for the better.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #3748
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Chocolatl's more eloquent, but I'm just as relieved especially for Mav and you and your family.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #3749
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

All's well that ends well. Sounds like it was a learning experience for him, which is good.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #3750
Aliantha

So, k came over after work today and we had a long talk about things with her and Mav. Anyway, after mav got home, she and he had a long talk and have decided to just be friends for the time being. Maybe they will end up back together down the track, but i really hope they both take plenty of time to get themselves sorted out before they venture down that path.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror