The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Manchester blast

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40007886.

I'm from there. It shouldn't make a difference. I doubt anyone I know was there, but.....
Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Most of the concertgoers were kids. Fucking awful.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Each attendee should get a full refund of their ticket price AND a free ticket* to another concert of their choosing**. That way those who were kiled will not have died for nothing.

* Good only at the same location.
** Just in case the suicide bomber was a disgruntled Ariana Grande fan.

How something like this could happen in a country that has a moat around it I can't imagine. OTOH, a moat is not a wall.

Too soon?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yes too soon
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40007886.

I'm from there. It shouldn't make a difference. I doubt anyone I know was there, but.....
It does hit harder at home, sorry.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
How something like this could happen in a country that has a moat around it I can't imagine. OTOH, a moat is not a wall.
Most, all? recent terror attacks are perpetrated by citizens/ resisdents.

ISIS radicalizes people at home via youtube etc, they are not agents sent in from outside any more, that's out dated rhetoric.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He was referring to how Trump's wall would prevent that from happening here, which is of course as ridiculous a premise as the channel would prevent it there.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Britian was once protected by a moat. So terrorists built a Chunnel - defeating that protection.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
He was referring to how Trump's wall would prevent that from happening here, which is of course as ridiculous a premise as the channel would prevent it there.
I was referring to the Great Wall of China.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well excuuuuuuse me.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
Most, all? recent terror attacks are perpetrated by citizens/ resisdents.

ISIS radicalizes people at home via youtube etc, they are not agents sent in from outside any more, that's out dated rhetoric.
So it's largely domestic terrorism. Those citizens/residents must be very unhappy with their home. You'd think BREXIT would have cheered them up by now. I guess you just can't please some people. All in all a small price to pay for personal freedom though. You don't want Britain to become like China.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
You'd think BREXIT would have cheered them up by now.
Hark! An EU terrorist attacking the heartland of Brexit. It makes complete sense. Why did political spin doctors not know it first?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I went to work today and a lass from my team was desperately trying to get word of her friend who took his kid sister to the concert. He wasn't answering his phone, he wasn't responding to texts.
She eventually heard from him about 2pm - his phone had powered down. He and his sister had stayed in Manchester overnight as they couldn't get a train back to Yorkshire.

Something I find very, very sad in all this, is that the bomber was only 22. He was barely a grown up himself. I'm sure he felt very grown up. A year younger than my eldest niece.

He took a couple of steps from the nest and ...

Angry and violent young men (mainly) who for whatever reason feel the world is against them, or that their parents don't understand them, or that life needs some greater meaning than it has, have always been vulnerable to extremist recruitment and/or influence. They're also vulnerable to a bunch of other stuff, like depression and suicide.

IS and their ilk are insidious. The mechanisms they employ in recruitment, whether to formal engagement or informal association, are highly sophisticated and very effectively calibrated for their target groups.

They only need to reach a handful of kids to cause unbelievable harm - both in terms of casualties and in terms of social cohesion.

And we play their game - every time we tweet or post a facebook comment that points the finger at muslims in general, we read the script they penned for us. We feed straight back into that recruitment machine.

In case you hadn't guessed from the above: I made the mistake of reading some youtube comments underneath a clip of James Corden's piece about the bombing. Just made me feel even angrier. Do they think they have more right to their outrage than Mancunian muslims? Are they more personally affected by this horror than the mostly muslim taxi drivers who ferried people about Manchester all night, for free, getting kids back to worried parents? How about the muslim concert goers?

Fucking hell, man. What a mess. 22 dead, 59 injured, and how many traumatised for life? How do you explain something like this to those kids?

Last edited by DanaC; 05-23-2017 at 05:44 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
sexobon

You just have to explain to them how much more their concert tickets would cost to pay for proper security screening and how much longer they would have to stand in line for everyone to get screened. I'm sure they'd agree that taking their chances on what happened was the better option.

While you're at it, tell them how lucky they were that NHS support wasn't taken down by hackers at the same time; because, NHS is still running Windows XP with all its vulnerabilities. Point out how much they're saving on taxes by not upgrading.

You just have to say what the young people are wanting to hear, that you're saving them money; then, they'll calm down and everything will be hunky-dory.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Angry and violent young men (mainly) who for whatever reason feel the world is against them, or that their parents don't understand them, or that life needs some greater meaning than it has, have always been vulnerable to extremist recruitment and/or influence. They're also vulnerable to a bunch of other stuff, like depression and suicide.
Christian/atheist/FSM youth who feel alienated commit suicide. Muslim youth become suicide bombers, either to kill some of the white devils that caused their problems, or in hope of the virgins and respect from the Muslim community.