The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-29-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
DR€@M W€@V€R

Smile HELLO...AM A NOOB !

hi everyone

im 19 femme uk...just surfed on in from the vb site...please be nice to me...

x
Old 05-29-2002, 03:56 PM   #2
dave

I wonder of the span, percentage wise, of a male's likelihood to be nice to a female and the likelihood to be nice to a male, assuming identical circumstances. In other words, how much more likely is a guy to stop and help a female with a flat tire than he is to help and stop a guy?
Old 05-29-2002, 04:13 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Welcome, and stuff.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:29 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

She did go to the trouble of filling out some of the user profile stuff.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:35 PM   #5
dave

And none of this really gives us any idea of whether or not they'll become a valuable member of the Cellar.

That post wasn't a troll, a spam, a flame... just an introductory first post. I've seen a lot of people make them here.

Whereas the situation would be different if the thread were titled "my new site!!!!!!!!1!!!!!" and had a link to m-a-j-you-get-the-idea, there's nothing abnormal about this post.

Now the question is this: is my willingness to let the situation play out an effect of her gender or a maturing on my part? Would I act the same if someone that was obviously male made the same post?
Old 05-29-2002, 04:51 PM   #6
dave

Eh, I'm taken. And I'm not at all one to judge someone by looks. Personality is pretty much it to me.

Dig the fat legs avatar though.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:38 PM   #7
DR€@M W€@V€R

Unhappy

well...that is a very old photo of me...my hair is longer n black now...but if i not welcome here...why dint you just say...

x
Old 05-29-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
DR€@M W€@V€R

n nicname...i cant believe you went to the length of registering at 2 different sites just to get a photo of me...all you had to do was ask n id have provided you with a better one...

x
Old 05-29-2002, 06:42 PM   #9
Nic Name
retired

i'm sorry. my bad. stay and play. i was out of line. i was rude. i'll kill my posts.

Last edited by Nic Name; 05-29-2002 at 06:44 PM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:24 PM   #10
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
In other words, how much more likely is a guy to stop and help a female with a flat tire than he is to help and stop a guy?
Well, that's an awfully loaded situation. Many guys would bristle at the suggestion that they need help changing a tire.

That said, I can tell you that in general people are more likely to help out a woman than a man...without regard to whether the people in question are male or female.

And I can speak with some authority on this issue. :-)

Welocme aboard, dream.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:51 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Now the question is this: is my willingness to let the situation play out an effect of her gender or a maturing on my part? Would I act the same if someone that was obviously male made the same post?
Hmmm...I should run that past my social psych professor at Southeast...David Ham: computer genius, guinea pig.

You'll have to excuse Nic...he's taking the Maple Leafs loss really hard.

On a serious note d, I'd say you're maturing.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 08:57 PM   #12
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Well, that's an awfully loaded situation. Many guys would bristle at the suggestion that they need help changing a tire.
That was really just an arbitrary example. Any other situation which may require some assistance is worthy. Computer problems. Even situations that don't require assistance. Are we more likely to smile at a female than we are a male?

I know the answer to the question, but it's difficult to determine exactly why. I'm sure there are hundreds of reasons and it varies from person to person. I've definitely seen it in effect online as well, though I personally try to ignore gender as much as possible for most situations. It certainly comes in to play from time to time, but I've been making a conscious effort for quite some time to treat people equally regardless of gender. This generally means being less of an asshole to those who have a penis.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:56 PM   #13
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Which brings to mind the old proverb: "When the only tool you have is a penis, every problem looks like an asshole." :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:46 AM   #14
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Are we more likely to smile at a female than we are a male?
I think it might depend on one's sexual preference to a degree.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:06 AM   #15
downside
a shadow in the dark...

Hello Dream Weaver.

I am downside. I am new here as well and thought I would jsut pop in to say "hello" and "welcome".

I'm sure I'll see you around the Cellar some time. Don't be a stranger.

Ds

Last edited by downside; 05-30-2002 at 10:15 AM.
downside is offline   Reply With Quote