The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

March 13, 2014: Hovenring

You're a major, progressive, car-hating European nation, with all the bike lanes you can muster. But while converting a roundabout to a standard four-way intersection, the roads suddenly get in the way of the bike lanes! What do you do?

If you're the Netherlands, you construct a highly-engineered, very beautiful and innovative RING that sits above the intersection, allowing bikers to enter and leave from any direction.

And then you make a major error and call it "Hovenring". Oh well;

Quote:
Connecting the three Dutch metropolitan areas of Eindhoven, Veldhoven and Meerhoven, the Hovenring (or “Ring of the Hovens”) is a remarkable feat of engineering that allows for the unimpeded flow of cyclist traffic without inconveniencing cars and trucks in the least!

Unfortunately after they built it, they found that it was affected by tremendous vibrations, so they had to close it for six months and add dampers.

Still, what they wound up with is very beautiful and functional. And a lot better than tunnels, which would have been cheap and invisible and not an attraction at all.

writeup at Medium
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Unfortunately after they built it, they found that it was affected by tremendous vibrations, so they had to close it for six months and add dampers.
Looks like a giant maypole.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

They should make the ring spin, just to make it more of a challenge for the bikers. :-)
Old 03-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
They should make the ring spin, just to make it more of a challenge for the bikers. :-)
Considering it's a giant ring, with a giant pole running through it, that was not the comment I was expecting from you.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Considering it's a giant ring, with a giant pole running through it, that was not the comment I was expecting from you.
I know.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Must be away from the more densely populated areas, because the pictures I've seen of their bike traffic would overwhelm that ring at rush hours.

Looking at the location, yes it's a little away from the crush. But that makes me wonder about the trouble and expense, away from where it will impress rich people. Oh, that's it. The rich people in their limos can buzz right through there without bikes in the way.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
SPUCK
Professor

If they couldn't model it well enough to know it would vibrate I'd be concerned they've modeled it well enough to know what will happen when some event, (car wreck?), causes people to pack it on one side...
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I know.
Disappoint.

Very cool engineering though. In NEPA we don't even have a shoulder on our pot-holed roads let alone a bike lane or a fancy ring. Nowhere to hide from the gas trucks unless you go cross country.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
If they couldn't model it well enough to know it would vibrate I'd be concerned they've modeled it well enough to know what will happen when some event, (car wreck?), causes people to pack it on one side...
I think they've got that covered with the four "M shaped supports" with pressure bars and tension rods.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
A similar thing happened on the Milennium Bridge in London, when it was discovered that the vibrations from people walking in step -on a pedestrian bridge - made the structure wobble alarmingly. It was known as the Wobbly Bridge for ages after they got it sorted.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.
I wonder if it is OK to take a shortcut on the bike ring, i.e. going clockwise. When I am riding a bike, I like to save my energy and take the shortest route.
For the amount of traffic in the pictures, does it seem an expensive project?
How does a car make turns? The lanes are marked in a seriously strange way.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good question, is it a circle/roundabout for the bikes?
For cars it's not a circle/roundabout, it's an intersection. It appears the left turn lanes are marked so drivers will turn before the center pole rather than trying to go around it and scaring the squirrel.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
glatt

A couple things from this picture I found in panaramio:

1. Is that primer on rust spots already?

2. I didn't realize the road was sunken and the ring was pretty much level. I though you had to go up and over the road, but it's the road that goes down and under.

3. The cyclists don't seem to use it.

Name:  72694031.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  124.8 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
Bloke
Almost normal...

If they are anything like the cyclists in the UK, they won't use it. Over here, the ignorant bastards think you should be responsible for their safety and don't see why they should use cycle lanes because they are entitled to use the whole road like anyone else.
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The design completely changed the traffic layout of the intersection. Car traffic is now a conventional street crossing controlled by traffic lights – deemed more efficient for traffic flow – while the circular bike path is now served by on-ramps flowing into the ring from 6 different locations.
Section.
Attached Images