FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Sources, por favor.
It wasn't all that long ago that the (until recently secret) Florida felon list was shown to be massively flawed in a pro-Republican way. Data errors my ass.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagney
I'd be interested in seeing 'neutral' proof of these allegations.....I can only seem to find this information coming from the mouths and fingers of Pro Kerry supporters....and from that, extrapolate that it's merely a tactic to deter Pro Bush voters.
From what I've seen, it's clear that the State of Florida really fucked up this year regarding the felon list. Based on that, I wouldn't be surprised if the fuck-ups Dana mentioned did occur. But I haven't seen anything other than conspiracy theory-type items regarding those issues.

Quote:
As an aside, and a completely unrelated topic, I find it interesting that it's being said that the majority of voters leaning towards the Democratic side of the ticket this November are not voting that way because Kerry's there.....they phrase their choice "I'm voting 'against' Bush", not "I'm voting FOR Kerry".
Not me...I'm voting for John Kerry because I think he'll be a better president than Bush, not just because I hate Bush.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #18
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I'll go with 1 and 5. With the corollary that I will have to endure the celebrations of my boss.

On the other hand, if Bush wins, the other manager and I have plans to sneak in early and plaster his office with pro-Bush banners and such. hehehe
Old 10-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #19
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagney
As an aside, and a completely unrelated topic, I find it interesting that it's being said that the majority of voters leaning towards the Democratic side of the ticket this November are not voting that way because Kerry's there.....they phrase their choice "I'm voting 'against' Bush", not "I'm voting FOR Kerry".
If it's true, so what? By definition (except in really unusual circumstances) the presidential challenger is always less well-known on the national level than the incumbent. How many Republicans were sitting home pining for George W. Bush to get into the White House in, say, December of 1999? Most voters probably hadn't really heard of any of the candidates... W probably had more name recognition than the rest just because of his dad. In 1992 people thought Bush Sr. had screwed up and they wanted him out. In 1980 they wanted Carter out. If George H. "voodoo economics" W. Bush had won the Republican nomination in 1980, would Republican partisans have sat home because their hero Reagan was not in the race? The most flaming liberal voters supported Dean and Kucinich (sorry, I probably spelled that wrong) in this primary cycle. Are they supposed to vote for Bush because Kerry won the nomination instead?

Republicans are famous for loyalty to their party. How come that's all of a sudden a bad thing when Democrats start doing it?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Oh, I never answered the question.

I suspect I'll be having several stiff drinks no matter who wins.

And no matter who wins, if there is even the smallest hint of irregularity in any election results in any county, even if it isn't significant enough numerically to have changed the outcome of the race, then we're all a bunch of complete idiots if we don't immediately force every government official of every party to clean house with respect to voting procedures.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:59 PM   #21
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Colorado just prduced it's own new list of "felins".........uh-oh. Coloradans don't make datea mstkes on purrpose thogh so im not worried. oooopsy....

Thanks monkey.

Sneaky so and so's.
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:06 PM   #22
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas

Republicans are famous for loyalty to their party. How come that's all of a sudden a bad thing when Democrats start doing it?
I didn't say it was a bad thing...what I stated was that I found it interesting that some - not all - people will back a candidate, simply because he's the one their party chose, and don't explore the issues...they vote the party.

I have a somewhat checkered trend in my own voting history - because I vote for the issues, not the party. (Which is how I personally think it should be done...YMAYVMV)

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
they phrase their choice "I'm voting 'against' Bush", not "I'm voting FOR Kerry".
So what?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #24
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
So what
What is, "One of the greatest jazz songs ever," Alex.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:41 AM   #25
warch
lurkin old school

I think you can say you're voting against Bush and be informed of the issues. Kerry is the alternative to Bush and If one feels that Kerry is the lesser of two evils...that seems the most damning of Bush.

Bush is running against his record.

Oh, and I dont think this will be decided by Nov 3. I think it will take a while.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:19 AM   #26
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Nov. 3?

What if the hammers of Hell come down on the insurgents in Iraq and we have a Kerry win? I'm not emotionally equipped to deal with all this.

I'm crawling into a hole with as much beer as I can get no matter how it goes.

Last edited by slang; 10-17-2004 at 02:23 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #27
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Another update on the Florida felon list.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #28
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Talking

From the article

Quote:
Bush told the Herald-Tribune that Craft didn't call him, and he denied that any meeting took place May 3 with Craft or other election officials.

"Once it became clear after talking to the secretary of state that there were problems with the list (in July), that's when we decided to end it," Bush said.

Craft hung up on a Herald-Tribune reporter seeking comment Friday. A message left for a Paul Craft in Tallahassee was not immediately returned Saturday.
I think he really means "After the media sued to look at the list, and after we failed to stop them, and after examination driven by the media it was found to be less than %90 accurate, and after members of a large Republican voting block were shown to have been 'accidentally excluded' I met with my Secretary of State, who is also a Republican, and told her 'If I try keep this up, we're all going to jail.'"
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #29
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
From the article
Bush's spokeswoman, Jill Bratina, denied allegations that the governor ignored warnings about the list.

"It's also irrelevant because the list isn't being used," Bratina said Saturday.

Bush told the Herald-Tribune that Craft didn't call him, and he denied that any meeting took place May 3 with Craft or other election officials.

"Once it became clear after talking to the secretary of state that there were problems with the list (in July), that's when we decided to end it," Bush said.

Craft hung up on a Herald-Tribune reporter seeking comment Friday. A message left for a Paul Craft in Tallahassee was not immediately returned Saturday.
I think she really means "After the media sued to look at the list, and after we failed to stop them, and after an examination driven by the media it was found to be less than %90 accurate, and after members of a large Republican voting block were shown to have been 'accidentally excluded', the governor met with my Secretary of State, who is also a Republican, and told her 'If I try keep this up, we're all going to jail.'"

Simple solution - make it a state law to pay any eligible voter turned away $10,000, the money to be paid by the county, state, and company who placed them on the list. That should make the list more honest.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 10-17-2004 at 09:35 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #30
Albamoss
alga

Quote:
What is, "One of the greatest jazz songs ever," Alex.
Mmmm! I could listen to Kind of Blue forever and ever and ever.

and ever.
Albamoss is offline   Reply With Quote