The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
chrisinhouston
Professor

Some interesting portraits here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/ga...ture=333325401

I took this picture about an hour after my mother died. I felt my mother's body was like the boat that had made the voyage and lay broken on the beach, no longer needed as the passenger had made it home.
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

speechless
Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Here's that little boy all grown up

Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

This is a photo of the Stein Family. There's Martha, little Billy, and Frank N.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post

I took this picture about an hour after my mother died. I felt my mother's body was like the boat that had made the voyage and lay broken on the beach, no longer needed as the passenger had made it home.
Beautiful thought, Chris.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #21
chrisinhouston
Professor

Some one took the time to do a nice collection on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07hNTSNDzaE

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LmK...eature=related

One thing to remember is that in this period of history many children of all ages died from natural causes that are easily treatable today such as viruses and other common diseases. This would most likely account for the fact that many of them in these images show little or no signs of decomposition. It was not uncommon in those times to keep the recently deceased on ice in the parlor for family and friends to view before the funeral, the term "living room" comes from that time when a type of parlor was created that was not used for the dead.

Think about today and how so many children you might hear about on your local news dying, do so in a violent manner like a car wreck or physical abuse or some other kind of accident.

One other thought is that today most families who have a typical western style funeral often have an open casket viewing which would be a similar way to remember those that have passed away.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

A distant in-law of mine twice had still-born births. She knew the fetuses were dead weeks before her due date, but had to carry them full term. When they were born, her husband had newborn portraits taken, and those pictures are on the mantle alongside pictures of their 2 surviving children.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

A more recent development, re-animation of Vice Presidents using microchip technology. Here's Al Gore's post mortem photo being posed.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #24
ogwen69
Custom User Title goes here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Are we certain that man isn't dead?
That's exactly what I thought - judging by the look on his face, yes
ogwen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #25
Char*Pntr
Complex Simpleton

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Some people, like myself, are intrigued by old photographs, often as not for the details in the background, rather than the principle subject. Blogger Steerforth, at The Age of Uncertainty is rather passionate about them.

I doubt this couple is in their 60s, but that could be a grandchild. Life wasn't easy witout Botox.
I haven't been on this website that long, but this picture will probably always be my favorite. (In fact, it was this pic, how I found this website, through a fellow member here) Tough one to beat. Very interesting and it provokes a lot of wonder, who that family was and whether they survived the black plague :-)