The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #2626
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Awesome!

Yeah, I don't have to worry about the school. I think they're OK, though. There's a university in that town too.

I think that's about normal for a grand old home on a main drag. So many want the convenience of 'new' and only people who recognize the character of such a home would be interested.

I need to find out if there's an open house sometime. I'll be in that town tonight/tomorrow morning. I would love to see the inside but I don't even want to pretend to be a serious homebuyer. I'd never pull it off.

There's a house in my town I call Spooky House. It even has a Spooky Tree in front, all knobby and weird. I believe that somehow they made sure that whoever bought it wouldn't cut down Spooky Tree. There's a tiny widow's walk on top of the house. The house should be on the cover of a spooky book.

I love 'em.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #2627
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
$265K???? has to be in a godawful school disctrict or something. I want it too, but my sprogs need a good ejumacation. perhaps we can go halvsies in another 10 years and breed cats and stash hobos there together........ it'd be fricking awesome at Halloween.....we'd give them meddling kids stories to tell their grandchildren.....
Quote:
Lot size Approximately 14592600363 Square Feet
That's a lot of hobo stashin.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #2628
infinite monkey

That's a lot of lot!

I looked on the realtor's site (had to sign up.) The actual dimensions are:

Acres

Lot Dimensions
• 90' x 114'
Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #2629
infinite monkey

OK, you know the old song "How Long (has this been going on?)"

It was by the band Ambrosia. Right?

Yet on I Fart Radio, they always list it as by O'Aces.

And a search finds it by a band called Ace. I remember a band called Ace.

Huh? WHICH IS IT? HELP ME.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #2630
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Could O'aces be a corruption of Oasis?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #2631
infinite monkey

I don't know. I was wrong, though, the song was by Ace. Ambrosia did How Much I Feel and You're The Only Woman.

Not sure what I was running into before. In fact I can't re-find it. It's like I wandered into some sort of Interwebz Twilight Zone.

New ho post: I slept like, 16 hours? I went to my friends on Friday night. Admittedly we played games and cards and stayed up late. I came home yesterday morning, ate something, and watched a movie. Then I read until my eyes were heavy. Then I slept and slept and slept.

Craziness. Who can sleep that long?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #2632
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, that was easier than I expected.

Last Thursday I got rear-ended in traffic while driving home from work. Minor damage was done to the back of my Subaru Outback, but quite a bit was done to the front of the little Mitsubishi Mirage. That evening I rang the insurance company, talked for about 15 minutes (after being on hold for about 10). Friday I took the car out to the inspection place, they got a taxi to take me in to the city. I made the police report over the counter in the city and they entered all the data for me. Today (Monday) I got a call from the repairers, car's done, so they sent a taxi for me. Got the car back, looks nice, and apart from the notes I took at the original incident, I haven't had to set pen to paper about anything and haven't signed a darn thing.

Not too bad, really.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #2633
glatt

Our parked car got hit, and it's been a similar experience for us. The other driver had Geico, and even though I had my doubts at first as it took ten minutes of pressing keys getting through automated phone menus and waiting on hold, they have been really responsive. We dropped the car off at the repair place, and have been driving around in their free rental for about a week. It's taking them a while to get the parts they need to fix our old car. Minor damage, but '96 Geo Prizm light fixtures must not grow on trees any more.

The rental car is a trip though. Everything is automatic. I don't even know how to turn on the headlights. They just do it themselves. Sirius radio, so the radio is playing Grateful Dead every time we get into the car, which is cool. Nice leather seats, and big. Too big to be honest. And the visibility is terrible. Modern car designs may look cool, but the visibility was better in cars a decade or two ago. This car actually comes with a back-up camera as an option. For a car. There's obviously a problem there if that's offered as an option. It's a Ford Fusion.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #2634
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
'96 Geo Prizm
How many miles you got on that thing? I didn't realize Prizms could live that long.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #2635
glatt

Only around 120K. The customer service people at the body shop complimented my wife on the good shape it's in, but that may just be SOP to flatter the customers.
It does have a bit of a rough idle though.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #2636
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wow, that's only 8000 miles a year. I guess living in your area makes driving a lot less necessary though. We put on more like 17,000 a year.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #2637
glatt

Yeah, we never drive it. And when we do, virtually all trips are 5 miles or less.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #2638
infinite monkey

Who cares if we're safe?

It is that time, when students who don't follow through or have their aid cancelled because they only completed 20 percent of attempted hours with a 0.25 GPA, get very very angry.

We have panic buttons. Someone was threatening one of my cow orkers, a counselor. The cops say "well, don't know if there's anyone to send up there right now."

FUCKING WHAT?

I don't care if you think you have the employee who cries wolf (which is not even the case) you respond IMMEDIATELY, EVERY TIME, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. (edit: I only know of a handful of times the panic button has been pulled. If someone IS overly skittish then deal with them later. But, this certainly wasn't skittishness...when cow orkers from another room overheard the threats and pulled the button.)

This godforsaken city has one of the highest crime rates around. It's the epitome of urban decay. In the middle of it, there is this oasis (birds start singing, rainbows appear) and any one of the crazy mudderpluckers can come in here and threaten our lives.

I'm so mad right now I could spit. Yes, the cops showed up, eventually.

What sort of lawsuit do you think they would get for non-response that ends in the deaths of staff and students?

I'm not overreacting. This environment is the ripest for that sort of violence.

This is the second time I've been made aware of complacency on the part of our very own police department.

After break, someone, not sure who yet, will get an official letter addressing my concerns. If I dont' get a satisfactory response, I will consider going to the paper.

Even VT learned a lesson. Their response to the latest threat (that admittedly didn't and wasn't going to turn into the bloodbath of five years ago) was flawless. Yet here we sit, same type of school, same large number of students, same chances for someone completely off their rocker and mad at us for it to come back with a weapon.

I gotta get out of this life.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 12-19-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #2639
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

holyshit.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #2640
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Baskin-Robbins....yum....okay, exercise time.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dum, oh the whorror