The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Anonymous Accountability

So, I decided to start working out without telling friends or family about my plans because every time I've started that in the past it hasn't worked out. BUT I am not very self motivated (hence the needing to work out in the first place bit) so I thought maybe if I put up a thread in the cellar, I could have the best of both worlds? Anonymously working out in real life while enjoying support and accountability from the cellar?

Diabetes runs pretty hardcore in my family so I've always had good intentions on getting healthy, I just never did. I have no job and all the free time in the world at the moment, so there's really no excuse for me to NOT do it. Earlier this week I put together a photo album of Husband and I's relationship together and seeing all the pictures of me in sequential order made me realize exactly how much I've gained over the last 5 years or so.. it's a lot.

So here is me, just started out today. It was very difficult because of exactly how out of shape I am, but I'm proud of actually trying!

I decided to start out with this:
http://www.gymjunkies.com/home-workout-for-beginner/

I only got in 2 "cycles" before my legs turned into jello, and I had to do "wall push ups" instead of regular ones because I'm not near strong enough to do real push ups yet, but I'd rather start slow and do something manageable than go crazy with it and fail.

I got the "my fitness pal" app on my phone, and so far it's pretty cool... tips are welcome, especially tips involving no gym equipment or workouts for the seriously out of shape folks.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

No tips from me, but a big virtual hug and pom-pom waving e-cheer.

And a supportive nibbly kiss on the ear from Carrot.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Thanks Dana & Carrot!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I want to get a treadmill and set it up in front of a huge monitor so i can play video games while I walk.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Congrats!

I've been doing the same thing over on the I joined a gym thread. I kind of slacked this weekend and today. I need to go back to the gym and start the routine again.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
glatt

My parents got two out of the trash and set theirs up pointing at the Wii. People are throwing treadmills away all the time.

in fact,
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/3249126509.html
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Me too, although people are noticing now Well done and good luck. My tip is do NOT let yourself get bored. You do not need to follow this workout to the end. If you start finding excuses not to do it because you get bored, pick another one, or walk, run, swim, bike, something. Don't give up. When you start it's all about doing something to burn the calories and build muscle, doesn't really matter what.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My parents got two out of the trash and set theirs up pointing at the Wii. People are throwing treadmills away all the time.

in fact,
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/3249126509.html
WOW.

that thing looks like something off the set of Flash Gordon.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Nirvana
Back in 10

Fitness can be as addicting as eating. You go Razz!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Good Luck Razz! I know how hard it is, for the last 10 years, Ive been trying to get back to the fitness regime I was doing before I met my husband.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Thanks everyone!
Jim - I want a treadmill really bad but I can't justify buying one until I start a fitness routine and stick to it.
bbro- Thanks! I decided to start my own thread so there would be more "attention" ... at least in my head anyway. I don't wanna let the cellar down!
glatt - I'm checking the craigslist in my area, we'll see.
monster - Thanks! I started with this one because it's got that 30 day thingy and I've heard it takes 30 days to make something into a habit, it's not so good to get winded if you have to go up and down the steps...
Nirvana - I hope so! I love me some foods!
Pico and ME - Thanks! I never really had a fitness regime to get back into in the first place, unfortunately! I used to do things recreationally which counted as excersize (used to do a lot of walking, did marching band in high schoo etc) but never really a specific "work out".
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

It's wonderful that you're starting something. The only tip I have is to print the schedule out, so it's right there in front of you rather than you taking time to look at it. Pull the sheet out and get to work....that's how I prevent procrastination. Second, be familiar with the workout moves if you're not familiar with them. If you are following his diet plan, I guarantee that you WILL lose weight and fat. Remember not to eat any pasta or bread. If you really crave some carbs that's not veggies (yes, those are considered as carbs), try brown rice.

As for the workout, I think it's okay to do wall push-ups for now if you're really out of shape. However, do graduate to the knee push-up, and from there, do the regular push-ups. Remember, no more than a week of wall push-ups.

Razz, good luck! Put on some music and work it! You know what would make you more accountable? Posting pics up, hihi. I just started Jillian Michaels' Extreme Shed and Shred. It's supposed to be a 30 day program too. You and me, Razz, we can do this!
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I want to add the reason why I feel you need to get off wall push-ups and do ground push-ups as soon as is because wall push-up will only make your arms stronger while doing push-ups on the ground will also work your abs.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Right, only I can't physically DO any pushups on the ground yet... or if I can I've no clue how. So I figured if I started with the baby ones, maybe I could work my way up

Also, I took pictures earlier today to post here... just before a friend called and asked me to accompany her on a last minute overnight trip out of town. Maybe I'll be able to post tomorrow hehe
Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Did you try the modified push ups? You bend your legs at the knees instead of having them straight. That might help you get to the ground sooner.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote