The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

November 23, 2011 Turkey Farm

(Apologies to peoples of the world - here is yet another American holiday.)

Before I was born, my aunt (my mother's oldest sister) and uncle owned a turkey farm. During the holidays, customers (pictured above) would come and pick out their turkey. My aunt, uncle, mom and other relatives would "dress" (pluck the feathers and all that) the turkeys and prepare them for the customers.

This photo was taken by the local newspaper photographer for a newspaper feature on the turkey farm. This was probably the mid 1950's.

My uncle immigrated from the Azores as a teenager. He had only a few dollars in his pocket. He obtained some kind of menial job. He saved what he could and used the money to buy a few turkey chicks. He raised the turkeys and sold them. He used the profit to buy twice as many chicks the next year, and so on, until he had a full-fledged farm.

When he felt he was making enough money, he went looking for a wife. People in the community told him about my grandmother, a young widow. He went calling. (Imagine having a man knock on your door to see if you would marry him when you'd never even met him before!)

She turned him down. She wasn't interested in marrying again. However, my aunt saw a good prospect and spoke up saying that she was available and interested. And so began a love story.

My uncle went looking for a widow with children and ended up with a much younger, beautiful, virgin bride. They lived happily together for more than 25 years.

He was my favorite uncle and my Godfather. I have his old-fashioned, hand-painted-on-curved-glass portrait hanging near my bed.
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

:applause:

That is wonderful, CaliMama. What a neat piece of personal history. Thank you for sharing that!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
glatt

Excellent IotD!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Personal IOTDs are the best IOTDs. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Nirvana
Back in 10

fabulous!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Here is Harriet Jones PM the unflappable survivor.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Thats a great story and a wonderful piece of history. Thanks for sharing Calimama.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMama
When he felt he was making enough money, he went looking for a wife. People in the community told him about my grandmother, a young widow. He went calling. (Imagine having a man knock on your door to see if you would marry him when you'd never even met him before!)

She turned him down. She wasn't interested in marrying again. However, my aunt saw a good prospect and spoke up saying that she was available and interested.
Sometimes I think things would be better if it still worked this way. There's something to be said for viewing a marriage as an agreement for mutual benefit instead of expecting it to be an overwhelming rush of love every single moment for the next 60 years. Had a friend in high school whose very traditional Indian family had selected her future husband for her, but she hadn't been allowed to meet him yet. We had a lot of conversations about it, and she always said she was in favor of her culture's way of doing things. Never got to find out how the marriage is going now, though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
dmg1969
I got nothing

Very cool, CaliforniaMama! And love the pic.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
glatt

When our firstborn was in daycare, she had an Indian lady taking care of her in her own home. We met the entire family, and they were very nice. Their marriage was an arranged one, and they genuinely loved each other. You could see it in the way they talked to one another and talked about themselves. They showed us their wedding pictures and talked about their arranged marriage about 15 years earlier. They said that they learned to love each other after being matched up by their parents. It was pretty neat.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Griff, is that your turkey? It's really cool looking!

Ya know, I miss the Muscovy Duck that used to hang around the river. In fact, I miss all the white ducks too. I don't know where they all went, but one by one they disappeared.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Yeah, she's a Royal Palm. Nice bird.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Seems like it would be pretty easy to catch an unflappable bird. Drumsticks, baby!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
hipshot
Enlarged to show texture

What a nice Thanksgiving tale (except for the turkeys...) Thanks for sharing.

Was the turkey farm in the Central Valley? I am in San Joaquin County, and we have quite a few turkey farms in the area.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
aero geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
My uncle went looking for a widow with children and ended up with a much younger, beautiful, virgin bride.
Am I the only one that finds that statement a bit creepy?