The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Gastric Bypass

My mom and Meme (grandmother) are both in the process of getting gastric bypass. Not because of their obesity, but because they are both diabetics who are now starting to lose feeling in their extremities, having kidney damage, and all the other fun things that go along with diabetes. There's research that shows that gastric bypass slows/stops the progression of diabetes afterward, and it also provides a very controlled lifestyle with regards to eating/drinking so that's good for the diabetes even if it doesn't go away. (No I can't link to that information, it's what I've heard from my mom/meme/the doctors as I go through this whole process along with them.)

The fact that this process can take up to a year where they have weekly sessions about the surgery and lifestyle after surgery and risks that go along with it, along with several doctor visits a month, and have had to go through therapy sessions to make sure they don't have "food issues" instead of an actual problem is enough for me to agree that this is a course that they have to take.

My meme is going in for surgery on the 9th, monday morning. I just was hoping for some good vibes from the cellar, to help her (and me) as she goes through it. My mom isn't due until july...at which point I'll probably be asking you again.

Thanks for being such wonderful people, and giving me a place to share my worries.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I think it was "20/20" or one of those news shows that did a story on this. Most of the people who had diabetes before the procedure no longer had it afterwards. In some case, it was only a few days before it was completely cured.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Pie
Gone and done

I'm considering a lap-band procedure, myself. Same issues, less advanced.

ETA, best wishes to your mother and grandmother!

Last edited by Pie; 03-04-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: D'oh!
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
glatt

I'm sending good vibes your way.

I don't know a lot about gastric bypass surgery, but I know enough to know that it's a significant procedure. It sounds like it's necessary in this instance, and it's for the best that they are going through with it. Hopefully, in a year or two, they will be really happy with the improvements it has given them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Good Cellar vibes heading your way to you and your family folks!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good vibes being sent your way....
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I think it was "20/20" or one of those news shows that did a story on this. Most of the people who had diabetes before the procedure no longer had it afterwards. In some case, it was only a few days before it was completely cured.
I saw something like that too... no longer diabetic by the time they were released from the hospital. Good luck to your family Razz.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

all the best to you and yours, Razz!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

they discussed it in 'Super Size Me'
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Good luck to your family Razz.

For me, I don't think gastric bypass is a good idea, even if I would be considered a good candidate for it.

Being forced not to eat and learning not to have an adversarial relationship with food are two different things.

I can almost understand how Type II diabetics might benefit because of the more rigid control of food intake and increased frequency of eating, but really don't get how that might apply to Type I.

We used to talk about the procedure with one of the docs at work. He said there were problems with the procedure of folks who had it just up and dying a couple of years post surgery.

Too freaking scary for me.

I'm the kind of person that tries to put off necessary surgery ... I won't be standing in line for anything elective.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Good luck to you family Razz.
If it's part of a well supported and ongoing procedure I'm sure the benefits will far outweigh the detriments.

Obviously with all the advice they have been given, your Mum and Nan know what to expect and how their eating patterns will also change afterwards. As long as they are aware of these and accept them, you will probably find that this time next year they are feeling better than they have for over a decade.

Any operation necessitating general anaesthetic is not without risk, but this is now well established surgery and the risk is obviously deemed far less than the risk of allowing their current situation to continue.

Personally, I'd like to try a gastric balloon rather than a band, but I don't think either would work well for me. So I'm just doing it the old fashioned way Then again, I'm only 36, I don't have diabetes and I'm not yet in a condition where I can't exercise, so I know this is the best thing for me.

You and they will be in my thoughts. Keep us updated.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Both of them have done every diet/exercise program in the history of ever (well, maybe not tapeworms) and have failed. Both have done every diabetic food plan/group/whatever, and failed. They can't keep their sugars under control...their bodies just don't work right, and they're beginning to lose control of important stuff because of it (my mom is facing kidney failure, her eyes are starting to worsen very quickly, and she's losing feeling in her feet.) I was very worried about them taking this route at the beginning, but having gone through some of the meetings/doctor appointments, and having read the info and research that my mom went through, I think it's the best choice for her long-term. It will be very hard, but since she's already beginning to live and eat the way she will have to after the surgery is done (keep in mind, she's not having hers until july) I think she'll be able to do this successfully, it's not an "elective" surgery for them.

PS I'm not trying to pick on/shame anyone who's commented...just trying to clarify our situation, because I know I was the most skeptical of anyone when they started discussing this idea. It is a dangerous surgery that is usually only mentioned for dire situations on the news and stuff.

And thank you all for your well wishes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

My sister had the lap band procedure a little over a year ago. So far, she's lost over 100Lbs and she gets around a lot easier. She has about 80Lbs to go to get to her suggested weight but the changes are great. Other than the fact that the loose skin makes her look like a Shar Pei in a bathing suit.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

so they'll need nursing at the same time? Does this all fall on you, or will there be others about to help?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

There's plenty of others around, the tough part will be my useless stepdad really being the only one around 24/7 for my mom. I might move back in for a while, we'll see how it goes.