The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
breakingnews
Q_Q

Just another tower to topple

So, New York's governor George Pataki last night scrapped the proposed building that had been previously selected to replace the World Trade Center's twin towers, laying waste to about two years of work.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/23780.htm

Can they just build the damn thing already? Or not, as a growing population of critics are pleading? There's been so much controversy about the whole bit - not to mention a likely uprising from the architects who spent so much time working on the first "contest" - that I think the project may soon become more of a nuisance than the glorious commemoration the city thinks it is erecting where one of the world's greatest structures once stood.

I'm not sure of this, but I heard that Ground Zero - a giant hole in the ground where 3,000+ people died - is now on top of the most popular tourist destinations. Is the city building itself a nice tourist trap for revenue-generating purposes? Per the Post's story, they haven't yet lined up a single tenant for the tower.

Not that the site shouldn't be memorialized in some fashion, I just think - after seeing models of the design finalists at the World Financial Center - that the architects are going after too much. Simplicity should win this contest, given its background and significance.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have to say, Ground Zero the way it is right now is pretty awe-inspiring. You drive through miles of dense urban buildings reaching up all around you, and all of a sudden there's just nothing, a whole block just entirely empty. I think they should leave it flat.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
mrnoodle
bent

There's something cool, though, about building something twice the size of the old towers and flipping a big bird at the terrorists, like "whaddya gonna do, eh? bring it." It's not very brave of us to send the message, "ok ok, we won't give you another target. Please don't hurt us (whimper)"

Half of me votes for a ICBM silo eternally aimed at the middle east.

The other half of me votes for clearing out the concrete and making a memorial park out of it. Nice trees and grass and water and stuff with a very simple, poignant memorial at the center. Then once a year turn on the big spotlights that point up. I always thought that was a nice touch.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Does this mean they figured out a way to ditch the foreign architect and hire an American?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

NYC wants to build (at taxpayers expense so that baseball owners don't have to pay for it) a new baseball stadium in Manhatten. There's hole. Put the stadium right there and be done with it. Anything else will only become a target.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
glatt

I'm glad they are starting over again. The design they came up with sucked. It was designed by committee and shows it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

That land is some of the most valuable on the planet. They *will* build something there. No one is going to let that kind of potential income-generating space sit fallow, not even if the Second Coming were to occur there.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If Christ should return, he should at least have a nice building to visit.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hey, he was born in a barn. Shouldn't take much to impress him.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:43 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

After musing on this for quite a bit today, I think I can declare myself as part of the "rebuild the WTC" crowd.