Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #346
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
… although the virus is likely to mutate and come back somewhat differently if seasonal and let's just not think about that part of this right now
Let's hope this early assessment on that is right.

Quote:
Scientists say the coronavirus is not mutating quickly and might respond to a single vaccine

Scientists studying the novel coronavirus' genetic code say it does not appear to be mutating quickly, suggesting any vaccine developed for it will likely remain effective in the long term.

Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, told The Washington Post that the strains of the virus infecting people in the U.S. have only about four to 10 genetic variations between the strain that emerged in Wuhan, China.

"That's a relatively small number of mutations for having passed through a large number of people," he told the newspaper. "At this point the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine."

Thielen compared the eventual vaccine to those used for illnesses such as chickenpox or measles, which generally immunize patients long-term. ...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #347
be-bop
Operations Operative

I don’t know if anyone has seen the internet rumours about how the Coronavirus started but I’m sure the accounts of a fuck up in the Wuhan Institute of Virology seems to be a more believable story,( who according to articles I’ve read have been researching this virus since 2016’) than some Fucker eating a bowl of bat soup or something from a seafood market.

Any opinions?

be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #348
sexobon

Et tu, Brute?

Quote:
States say doctors are stockpiling trial coronavirus drugs — for themselves

Doctors are hoarding medications touted as possible coronavirus treatments by writing prescriptions for themselves and family members, according to pharmacy boards in states across the country.

The stockpiling has become so worrisome in Idaho, Kentucky, Ohio, Nevada, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Texas that the boards in those states have issued emergency restrictions or guidelines on how the drugs can be dispensed at pharmacies. More states are expected to follow suit.

This is a real issue, and it is not some product of a few isolated bad apples,” said Jay Campbell, executive director of the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy.

The medications being prescribed differ slightly from state to state, but include those lauded by President Trump at televised briefings as potential breakthrough treatments for the virus, which has killed more than 500 people in the United States and infected at least 43,000.

None of the drugs have been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for that use. Some of them — including chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine — are commonly used to treat malaria, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and other conditions. ...
Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #349
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

@ Be-bop - I don;t think so. And it didn't enter the population via someone eating bat soup. Best current assessment based on gene studies is that it crossed species into bats who then rapidly cross infected each other ( bats immune systems don;t go into fatal meltdowns with the presence of new viruses) then crossed into another species, possibly pangolins who then infected humans,

We don't need a culprit for this - it was always going to happen sooner or later - it does happen periodically and always has (all the great plagues and pandemics are due to viruses jumping species) - what we have is a perfect storm of a disease that is highly contagious, spread through flu like mechanisms, and a global community jumping on planes and thronging city streets
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #350
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I read a good case for the Pangolin link.
I read that China has put a ban on wet markets, but I doubt it because besides live animals and seafood they also sell veggies and other perishable food.

Quote:
None of the drugs have been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for that use. Some of them — including chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine — are commonly used to treat malaria, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and other conditions. ...
One guy figured out how to beat the system, he discovered there is hydroxychloroquine in his aquarium cleaner.
The virus won't bother him now because he's dead... and his wife is very close to it.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #351
sexobon

They'll probably still send him a stimulus check.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 AM   #352
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
… then crossed into another species, possibly pangolins who then infected humans ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I read a good case for the Pangolin link. ...
Wikipedia says pangolins have been ruled out as a direct source.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #353
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

One guy figured out how to beat the system, he discovered there is hydroxychloroquine in his aquarium cleaner.

The virus won't bother him now because he's dead... and his wife is very close to it.
Meanwhile people who actually take that drug are reporting that they can't get it anymore.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #354
Griff
still says videotape

My friend with RA hasn't been able to get it for a while...
Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #355
Griff
still says videotape

Yesterday Cuomo had the apex in NY 14-21 days out. They will run out of hospital beds. Cases are currently doubling every 3 days.

You know the terrible kids who are ignoring this? I know one and could have predicted this from year 5. Sometimes parents do a bad job. Flew to Colorado as the news was breaking, flew back into Philly, conned her not boyfriends Dad into picking them up, was refused entry into home, went to her college apartment to party for a couple days, started a road trip to Florida to her Uncles place , he told her not to come, stopped at her aunts place and got chewed out... Both parents have health issues and her Gramma is aged but gotta party. Pete called her on her bullshit and she straight up lied about it.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #356
monster
I hear them call the tide

Prince Charles tested positive

I have both of his parents on my death pool list. :/
Old 03-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #357
Griff
still says videotape

Always look on the bright side of life...
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #358
sexobon

The Royal family is close, except for King Harry and Queen Megan.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #359
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Waiting in line for the grocery store now. Police are present to make sure everyone behaves. Hoping that if I got here early they might still have some toilet paper on the shelves, but given the number of people still ahead of me, I'm expecting to be disappointed.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #360
monster
I hear them call the tide

That family is made of strong stuff. Philip will turn 99 this year, he keeps getting hospitalized, but he keeps escaping...... I think the queen might have missed a church service once for a bad cold?